Suntan Lotion Damaging Gel Nails!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails at Home

Reaction score
Hi everyone - just wondered if anyone else has come across a problem I had last year when I went on holiday. I had done Bio Sculpture gel on myself and my 2 friends prior to going away and when we started putting sun tan lotion on we found that after a couple of hours or so it would start going tacky - so much so that the top coat and maybe a layer or so of the gel was able to peel off (the nearest way to explain it was it peeled off much like chewing gum!). We tried various different lotions thinking that maybe it was a certain make but although it happened more with some than others it did happen with all of them. We also tried a different top coat to no avail! Has anyone else ever come across this?

Been meaning to put this post in since October last year but thought I'd better get it in now cos I'm off on my hols again in 2 weeks and am a bit conerned!

Any answers would be greatly received xx

I use Bio Sculpture, and have found that certain products that contain either lanolin or oil can cause lifting with this particular gel system. However, I am now using the sealer gel as a final layer, by way of extra protection, and have had no problems since.

My educator mentioned something about Bio gels not liking chlorine too much either, and so "holiday nails" need a little more protection than usual.

Hope this info helps.

I had this once with my nails that I was wearing, They were gel (not sure what company) before I did nails myself..

Anyway I was using a suntan lotion with insect repellent in it and it melted my nails.

Boogaloo said:
I had this once with my nails that I was wearing, They were gel (not sure what company) before I did nails myself..

Anyway I was using a suntan lotion with insect repellent in it and it melted my nails.

There are two main systems of gel
Porous and
non porous.

Bio sculpture is an example of a porous gel. Meaning it is able to absorb. Hence it is prone to breaking down with solvents etc. I guess it's quite possible for suntan lotion to affect it also.
You could try sealing it with a non porous gel top coat or just use a non porous gel from the outset.

HTH - if you want more info then search the site, you'll find heaps of info.
Envy

a fabulous fellow geek gave me a top tip.......seal it with Brisa uv finishing gloss this may help!!!

I use it all the time now no probs.

AMb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for your help girls! I actually haven't got any Brisa gel - what I am a bit confused about though is why doesn't the top coat protect the gel? I'd have thought it would .. :confused: x

Was wondering - how well does L&P cope with suncream/swimming pools etc? Obviously avoid the lanolin .... but has anyone had any experiences?

Nails at Home said:
why doesn't the top coat protect the gel? I'd have thought it would

The top coat restores the shine once the gel has been sanitised, but doesn't actually give it added protection ... the sealer gel layer gives a higher shine to coloured gels ... the top coat is then applied over it in the usual way.

I think you will find that the sun tan lotions you were using had insect repelent in them, namely a product called DEET. This affects nails and nail varnish.

Hiya, I use biosculpture as well. I've just had a look at the training book; these are the products that Biosculpture says will severe cases or prolonged use....
Vicks
Insulin
some antibiotics
heart medication
anesthetics
mosquito repellant
sunblock/tan lotion
any substance containing chemicals
smoking prior to application
pool chemicals, cholorine
amonia in household cleansers
prolonged use of rubber gloves
steam baths
lack of nutrients and other brands of nail varnish

HTH

Thanks for your help on this girls - I think I'll try the top coat sealer and then experiment with a little suntan lotion a couple of days before going away to see if it avoids the problem! x

Latest posts

Back