Switching gel brands?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welshie Lou Lou

Reaction score
Hello fellow salon geeks.

I currently use ASP signature gel, which seems to be fine, but a lot of people ask about gelish and shellac. Does anyone know if you can use different brands without going on a new course? I was wondering if the procedures for application and removal were similar between products.

Any comments will be gratefully received. X

I totally recommend Shellac. As long as you have done a manicure course you can open an account with Sweet Squared.

Thankyou NIc DOx.

I'm trying to contact sweet squared at this very moment! Will I need to retrain in gel polish?

Hello fellow salon geeks.

I currently use ASP signature gel, which seems to be fine, but a lot of people ask about gelish and shellac. Does anyone know if you can use different brands without going on a new course? I was wondering if the procedures for application and removal were similar between products.

Any comments will be gratefully received. X

Hi I'm also using asp signature and went through feeling like I should change.
Is it purely because shellac and gelish are better known brands?
The fact shellac are having so many problems with their lamps at the moment put me off so I started looking into gelish and even had a gelish manicure myself done by a professional and I've decided to stick with asp. Do you have any particular issues with the product?
After exploring other options I feel happy and more confident with asp signature

Hello chelle belle.

I'm also put off by the shellac because of the lamps, but lots of people are familiar with the brand name of gelish and they seem to have a good range of colours.

I've had teething problems with asp, like removal, but I've cracked that. I think a lot of it is confidence. But Im Also finding that people expect it to last for three weeks, where's the training lady said 2 weeks.

Most people seem to have at least one chip by two weeks! Is it me? I cap the edges, try to paint it on thin and I think I'm very thorough with my prep? Xx

Have a look at O'nine uk puregels over 200 colours and lasts 3 weeks + its eco friendly and solvent free

Hello chelle belle.

I'm also put off by the shellac because of the lamps, but lots of people are familiar with the brand name of gelish and they seem to have a good range of colours.

I've had teething problems with asp, like removal, but I've cracked that. I think a lot of it is confidence. But Im Also finding that people expect it to last for three weeks, where's the training lady said 2 weeks.

Most people seem to have at least one chip by two weeks! Is it me? I cap the edges, try to paint it on thin and I think I'm very thorough with my prep? Xx

The removal isn't as easy as the shellac but then it's a different product and I'm thinking gelish will be just the same to remove.
When my clients rebook 2 weeks later they normally have a tiny chip or two aswell.
To compare it I had a gelish manicure a week ago and I've already got chips so I don't think it's completely chip proof, no product is. Lasts better on some than others.
How many colours have you already invested in with asp?
I do wish they had more choice and more sparkly colours. I agree there and wonder if they'll ever bring any new colours out

Don't let the current lamp situation put you off CND Shellac.

There are lots of plusses, but for me what keeps CND Shellac head and shoulders above the rest is that NOTHING removes as easy as CND Shellac, as well as no damage to the nailplate (if removed correctly and solar oil used daily)

Hi im looking to invest in a gel colour system ive been looking at asp signature gelish and shellac and the asp looks best for value. Although i did buy the asp starte gel kit for gel extensions i dis everything as i should but found after doing my own and two clients it all lifted and came off really easily within a few days. So im looking for a good soak of gel system too any ideas please x

Hi im looking to invest in a gel colour system ive been looking at asp signature gelish and shellac and the asp looks best for value. Although i did buy the asp starte gel kit for gel extensions i dis everything as i should but found after doing my own and two clients it all lifted and came off really easily within a few days. So im looking for a good soak of gel system too any ideas please x

Did you use signature to do your extensions or did you use ASP hard gel such as T3 or sculpting gel, builder gel, or capping gel. All ASP soak off gels should be applied over the enhancer (acrylic or hard gel).

I find T3 really good for enhancements but you do need ASP training to get the most out of their products.

Signature is my all time fave. Love those colours and easy to adapt the colours by layering. Also tried the ASP soak of and really like them. Xx

Don't let the current lamp situation put you off CND Shellac.

There are lots of plusses, but for me what keeps CND Shellac head and shoulders above the rest is that NOTHING removes as easy as CND Shellac, as well as no damage to the nailplate (if removed correctly and solar oil used daily)

While I absolutely agree that the current lamp situation should not put you off CND Shellac, I would heartily dispute the notion that nothing removes as easily. OPI, which has a base very much like Shellac, is every bit as easy as Shellac to remove and with no damage. The truth is that no gel polish should do damage if removed correctly.

CND Shellac is a fantastic product and has become a generic term for gel polish. You can't go wrong choosing Shellac; the training and skills you learn with it will carry over to other gel polishes. But unless you have a specific issue with your existing system, I'd delay switching.

Did you use signature to do your extensions or did you use ASP hard gel such as T3 or sculpting gel, builder gel, or capping gel. All ASP soak off gels should be applied over the enhancer (acrylic or hard gel).

I find T3 really good for enhancements but you do need ASP training to get the most out of their products.

Signature is my all time fave. Love those colours and easy to adapt the colours by layering. Also tried the ASP soak of and really like them. Xx

Hi thankyou im not sure it was an asp starter kit just the basics in it bought it from sallys i will get my kit out tomorrow and have a look ill ask about the asp course. Ive done a basic course but itd be good to do a course relating to the products im using x

Have a look at O'nine uk puregels over 200 colours and lasts 3 weeks + its eco friendly and solvent free

Master30, where would I get these from?

I think I will stick with ASP Signature for the time being. I also layer the polishes, the peach sorbet and gunmetal glitz are great for adding glitter or sparkle, I simply layer it on top of an existing colour. I'm not too great at mixing them on foil though, as I find it hard to apply with a flat brush.

Thank you all for your great comments. This forum has always been SO helpful to me. Xxx::Love:

Hi,
I use Gelish and it is fantastic, I have no problems removing it I soak for 10 mins and it literally falls off, the one tip I have picked up is not to apply the foundation too thick. The choice of colours are fantastic and some of my clients go 3 weeks some only 2 it really does depend on the client and there jobs ect!
I hope that helps 😊 x

I think I will stick to ASP Signature, as I've invested money into it now. Maybe at a later stage, I will add to my range by looking at shellac or gelish. I had a magazine just this week from the Beauty Guild and they had a feature on shellac.
Apparently you can buy a start up kit.

I think someone's comment about not applying too thick is the key.....I did a French manicure and my tips were too thick! Thin, thin, thin all the way!

Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back