Tackling no-show clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aromababy

Reaction score
This seems to be an increasing problem for me as of late, I have had an increase in the number of hits to my website and quite a few bookings for nails, md facials, spray tans etc etc, but nearly 50% of those that booked have just not bothered to show. I always try to call, some pick up, some don't.

I work from home and I wonder sometimes if people don't take me seriously and think I am "playing beauty salon".

Its really frustrating and I wonder how some of you tackle this situation in your own businesses? As I am only able to accept cash payments, taking deposits isn't really an option.

Any thoughts?
Nat x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Why isn't taking deposits an option?

I use an online booking system:
Www.appointment-dirty.co.uk
There is the facility to take deposits or full payment via paypal.
I wrote a t&c's stating that less than 24 hours notice will result in full amount being charged.
At least if I have ant no shows I have their deposit.
Actually charging the full cost to them is another matter and hard to enforce and you'd have to go via small claims court which realistically is probably more fuss than it's worth!

But really hunni, if you're not willing to take a deposit then you're very limited to what you can do, bar just grinning and bearing it!

I wrote a t&c's stating that less than 24 hours notice will result in full amount being charged.
Actually charging the full cost to them is another matter and hard to enforce and you'd have to go via small claims court which realistically is probably more fuss than it's worth!

But really hunni, if you're not willing to take a deposit then you're very limited to what you can do, bar just grinning and bearing it!

I had no idea about this, I will definitely give it a go. Its nothing to do with a lack of will though, I just don't do enough business to cover costs of a card machine is all.
Thank you for this link though, much appreciated x

It is unfortunately all part and parcel of it Nat:sad:. It is always a difficult one to tackle, take a deposit is the answer but when you are mobile with no machine I get why you are frustrated with it. The link looks interesting though and if you can take paypal deposit that may be the answer.

It is rarer in the spa for our cleints to no show but today we had a new one who didn't bother to show up or call. No reply from number given. I even said to her when she came in to book, if you have to cancel just let me know as I am bringing someone in specially to do what you want.

To me it is downright rude and although it happens, in this case I was a wee bit put out as I had bent over backwards to help her and her family when they came is to book as they were here on holiday and had some issues which I sorted out for them and then she didn't even have the common courtesy to say please cancel I can't make it:grr:.

Oh well back to my 5 o'clock...........

Last edited:
It is a really great service and Mark the developer has bent over backwards to accommodate my requirements!

You get a free trial and then it's a tiny amount per month which can be cancelled from one month to another.
It tells you the amount on the link, and it really is that amount, no hidden extras!

It's deffinately an option to combat your issue! X

It is unfortunately all part and parcel of it Nat:sad:. It is always a difficult one to tackle, take a deposit is the answer but when you are mobile with no machine I get why you are frustrated with it. The link looks interesting though and if you can take paypal deposit that may be the answer.

It is rarer in the spa for our cleints to no show but today we had a new one who didn't bother to show up or call. No reply from number given. I even said to her when she came in to book, if you have to cancel just let me know as I am bringing someone in specially to do what you want.

To me it is downright rude and although it happens, in this case I was a wee bit put out as I had bent over backwards to help her and her family when they came is to book as they were here on holiday and had some issues which I sorted out for them and then she didn't even have the common courtesy to say please cancel I can't make it:grr:.

Oh well back to my 5 o'clock...........

You're right, it is very rude. Its all part of the erosion of common decency.
I think, why bother to go to the trouble of ringing a salon, making enquiries and booking an appt, when you have absolutely no intention of showing up for it!?

Its time to start dishing out a few etiquette lessons here and there lol x

this link is incorrect lol, should it be
www.appointment-diary.com ? X

I've just tried it and it works fine!! :)

lol so funny i was thinking "em not sure about getting clients to pay through dirty appointments" lol

I think its appointment diary rather than dirty!!!

Oh my flipping gosh!!

Ive just seen!!!

I wote that on my iphone and thelink i tried was the 'correct' one posted above!
What a total douchebag I am!!! Ok guys... laugh me down - I hold my head in utter shame and embarrasment!!! :o:o:o:o:o

Lol!!! Dirty Appointments - for those calls we get via Gumtree occasionally !!!

Lol!!! Dirty Appointments - for those calls we get via Gumtree occasionally !!!

Lol yes THOSE calls x

Oh my flipping gosh!!

Ive just seen!!!

I wote that on my iphone and thelink i tried was the 'correct' one posted above!
What a total douchebag I am!!! Ok guys... laugh me down - I hold my head in utter shame and embarrasment!!! :o:o:o:o:o

Haha its ok, we'll blame the demon predictive text lol xx

This seems to be an increasing problem for me as of late, I have had an increase in the number of hits to my website and quite a few bookings for nails, md facials, spray tans etc etc, but nearly 50% of those that booked have just not bothered to show. I always try to call, some pick up, some don't.

I work from home and I wonder sometimes if people don't take me seriously and think I am "playing beauty salon".

Its really frustrating and I wonder how some of you tackle this situation in your own businesses? As I am only able to accept cash payments, taking deposits isn't really an option.

Any thoughts?
Nat x

Hi
I've signed up with PayPal and added a deposit button to my site which was quite easy to do. I think for salons/mobile therapy it's cheaper doing it this way, no monthly fee just the usual PayPal fee per transaction.

Hope this helps
:)

Lol this thread just cheered me up so much!!!

E x

Does your website not just take the booking as 'pencilled in' with confirmation within 24 hours from yourself via a telephone call?

Surely if you did it that way, your actually speaking to someone and then confirming over the phone that the appointment is booked, i think if someone knows they're contactable via mobile, they're less likely to be a no show?

I think its part and parcel of what we do.

If a new client just doesn't turn up and doesn't ring or text with a reason (and apology lol) then I have a blacklist and she won't get another one. I will be full.

If its one of my loyal regulars there is always a valid reason and I do have a heart with them! I have a couple of dippies who are a tad scatty and I asked them if they would like a text the evening before the appointmnt to remind them and they were delighted.

I work from home too and at least I can use the time to get on and catch up on something else, but it is very annoying.

For us, last minute cancellations/no shows are charged 40% of their booked service. This fee must be paid before we will book another appointment for them. If they choose not to pay and rebook - so be it - they're not the kind of client we want anyway. Similarly, we take deposits for appointments of 2 hours or more, $80AUD or more or group bookings.

Latest posts

Back