Taking hair from base level 6 to grey/silver?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clementine93

Reaction score
Hi

I am currently studying towards my level 2 certificate in Hairdressing and I need some advice

My friend has asked me to colour her hair to a silvery grey tone. I have never done this sort of colour before so I am a bit unsure of which toner and colour to use.

I have an idea of how i would achieve this process, but i would like to know the opinion of some more experienced hair dressers, if there is anywhere i am going totally wrong or if there is anything i should do differently (i am going to ask my tutors opinion tomorrow too but thought it would also be beneficial to ask on here)

So, the clients hair is a natural base 5. I was thinking to lift to an 8 with bleach and 6%. Then i am anticipating some yellowy brassy tones, to cancel these out i was thinking to use Wella Colour Fresh Silver 0/6 Violet. After this to achieve the grey/siIver I want to use Roux fanci-full in 41 True Steel because I have heard some great reviews about it.

How does this sound? Am i on the right track or am i approaching it wrong? Any advice would be so very appreciated. Thankyou

I think this is definitely more a level 3 job. You're talking about a pre lighten on a level 5, which will take you quite a while to do, therefore the first section will be processing for a while. Its quite a tricky procedure and i don't feel an 8 is quite light to enough for a silver grey, you could get a pure GREY on a base 8.

Thanks for replying
Yes I was a bit concerened about the long process of the pre lightening as I am still training. I wanted to get a few opinions on here before I went ahead and did it. Okay, so if the 8 is not light enough for a silver grey she could still get a pure grey?
I think if I will ask her to come into the college salon so I can still do it for her but with guidance

Also i just wanted to know if the colour fresh silver 0/6 violet is a good choice to cancel the yellow tones

I would advise you to take her into college. Is her hair coloured or virgin? 0/89 mixed with 0/6 may be better, the lightening curve tells you the undertone of a level 8 is yellow but theres usually still a tad bit of orange in there.

I am so sorry I have just realised the mistake in what I have typed in the title and the post. Her natural base is a level 6 not a 5 so the pre lightening would take it to a 9 instead of an 8 wouldnt it?
I've been writing base 5 to a level 8 because i'm tired and getting mixed up with another client
Sorry, really tired and bombarded with revision

So if she's a 6 can i lift to a 9 with 12%, tone with the wella colour fresh and then achieve the silver or do you reckon it still would not be light enough? Thanks again

And she has previously had colour but it has grown out to her natural 6

I am so sorry I have just realised the mistake in what I have typed in the title and the post. Her natural base is a level 6 not a 5 so the pre lightening would take it to a 9 instead of an 8 wouldnt it?

I've been writing base 5 to a level 8 because i'm tired and getting mixed up with another client

Sorry, really tired and bombarded with revision

So if she's a 6 can i lift to a 9 with 12%, tone with the wella colour fresh and then achieve the silver or do you reckon it still would not be light enough? Thanks again

Are you talking about using bleach or colour to lift her?

Bleach and then tone and colour afterwards

Bleach and then tone and colour afterwards

Well 12% is a big no no for starters. I don't think you're ready to do this, you don't have the theory to back up your practical by the sounds of it.

I can't believe i've just suggested i use 12% when i know not to use it and i know i mean 9%, embarrassing myself here seeing as i have been taught to stay away from 12% and earlier i was talking about using 9%. Even got her base shade mixed up before

Yep you're right i'm not going to do it until i've passed my colour theory exam
Obviously got myself so wound up about how I would do this colour that i'm forgetting everything i've learnt so far and making mistakes before i've even touched her hair. A bit upset with myself better get back to my revision then

Thanks for your replies

Im assuming you know that using 9% on roots isnt a good idea, perhaps on the ends to get a good lift. Also colour fresh and fanciful rinses are no where near strong enough to tone to silver on a level 9, if anything it might take it to a creamy blonde. Have a look at the colourtouch chart at college, you will find better alternatives there.

Latest posts

Back