Taking on self employed therapists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiley Heather

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m hoping to get some advice please as I am about to take on two therapists, both self employed. One wants to work a couple of evenings offering massage, hot stone and reflexology using her own towels, kit and products, the other, qualified to level III, so overlapping my treatments but using all my kit, products, towels etc. What percentage should I be taking from each please?

Also I’m happy with ANY other information, advice you may wish to offer and also a nod in the right direction about Client cards, payment taking and contracts/paperwork to have them in my salon.

Thank you in advance! X

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-guidelines-for-determining-self-employment.295298/

I think the first therapist is straightforward but the second one would give me some concerns, to be honest.

I’d be looking at taking 30%-40% off the first therapist for each treatment and 60%-70% off the second therapist. Ensure they take the clients monies directly and then pay you as you don’t want to risk monies going through your till being classed as overall takings in case it tips you over the VAT threshold.

As they’re both self employed you cannot ‘manage’ them so especially in regards to the second therapist using your equipment, you need to be certain that they will work to a similar standard to yours, look after your equipment well, not waste products etc. Remember that the second therapist is effectively an independent business owner working within your salon. If they treat your clients, they legally become ‘their’ clients so they will be required to keep separate treatment records as part of their business paperwork.

When taking on self employed ‘staff’ you benefit by not having to cover minimum wage during the quieter periods, sick pay, holiday pay, maternity pay, pension arrangements etc. but equally, you lose all control over them. It might be worth setting up a short term trial of say, 3 months, with a review to see how it’s working for both parties.

I’d strongly recommend you get a solicitor to draft a suitable contract that covers your specific needs rather than try to do it yourself if you’re not legally trained, otherwise, you could end up with a document that’s not fit for purpose and unenforceable.

Thank you very much for your honest opinion, the second one is my main concern too. I certainly will have a legal person check my paperwork so that it is watertight.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back