Taking someone on?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb2208

Reaction score
Hi fellow geeks.
Sorry firstly for the waffle.......
I could really do with some guidance. I have been working full time for myself now for 4 years. I started out mobile, taking the odd client at home. I have now had a home salon for 1 year, so do both mobile and salon visits. Mostly Salon visits now.
I have become extremely busy and am struggling to take my days off (Mondays & Wednesdays), I'm also working most Saturdays. I know I need to learn to say no! But like I say "Make hay while the sun shines"
I am thinking of taking someone else on to work on my days off, but don't know which is the best option
-Self employed-hourly rate etc etc
I have more questions than answers at this stage, their products, my premises?
I have someone in mind as they are trained already.
I have also been approached by someone that is interested.
Do I advertise for them?
Do I take as %?
So much is on a trust basis.
Clients access the salon without using the house, but a therapist will need access to the house on some occasions.
Ideally it would be someone that doesn't offer my treatments so there is not the worry of whether I or they supply stock.........so many questions.
I offer Nails, Tans, Lashes, and some beauty treatments.

Any help, advise or guidance would be great. Even your own experiences would be helpful.

Its great you have built your business up to that level, good for you! i dont know if my experience will be any help but here goes! I have opened a salon from home and it is is self contained and located on the main road in my village (that doesnt have any other salons). I had decided before i opened to concentrate on the treatments i was good at and get people in to do hair and nails both of which are not my strong point! As a new business i couldnt afford to employ people, so i advertised on a 50/50 split with me providing most equipment and all stock. It took me a while to find the right people and it has been difficult as we are building the business together so i cannot guarantee what they can earn, but it sounds like that shouldnt be a problem for you. It is not the solution for everyone but the people i have with me now know that they have an interest in growing the business and we all promote each others services and slowly but surely we are starting to build to the point that i am now looking for other people to join us.I hope this helps and good luck whatever you decide x

It's great that you have but up such a busy business my only concern would be that the clients you have like how YOU style their hair! Or on the flip side what if they prefer the new stylist? You could do a 60/40 split if you still want someone to help you out. They are self employed and get 40% of what they make u supply all the materials xx

Thank you guys.

I am leaning towards self employed 60/40 split.
I have plenty of clients, which is why I end up working 6 long days a week, I'm hoping new therapist will lighten my load allowing me some time off.
I have approached someone and they are keen and flexible.
The problem with someone being self employed is they will dictate hours, days etc?
I want it to be an attractive proposition, but still benefit me. A lot to ask I know.

Look forward to more suggestions and opinions from all you experienced geeks.

Latest posts

Back