Taking time out from doing clients to manage your business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milliemakeup

Reaction score
Hi Everyone :)

I have a small but busy salon in Suffolk.
8 months ago it started off with just me doing treatments but it quickly expanded and now I have:
4 full time hair stylists
1 Hairdressing apprentice
1 full time beauty therapists (2 including me)
1 part time holistic therapist

I am thinking of spending less time in a treatment room and more time at front desk and managing as I feel I should be around alot more.

Have any of you cut down on doing clients and spend more time on front desk and managing or don't even do clients at all? How have you found it?

Thank you.

Wow that's great, well done you :) I am not in your position have only been going afew months. If I were you I think that's what I would be doing to ensure the salon is running how I'd like and to keep standards up. Plus it means that you don't have to take work home with you (I find myself doing that at the minute during busier weeks). I think I would still do some treatments mostly for my regulars that would ask for me. Xx

Wow, well done! I've just come back from my new premises where we hope to move into next week. I'm definitely planning to 'manage' more than being a hands on therapist. I really want to oversee things and ensure that it's running as I want it to, and that the clients are happy. I also think it's important to keep your eye on the ball, and keep the momentum up. I want to ensure clients are returning, and if not, why not. I know my daughter (who will be working with me) is not great at retail and also getting clients to rebook, so I almost see myself as receptionist, manager, ruffled feathers soother, and beauty therapist a few hours per week!!! Don't know if that helps, but sounds like you're definitely doing something right x

I'm with the others. I think you should be out managing rather than stuck in a room. You've done extremely well and would hate to see you lose that momentum.

PS, would love to hear how you've done so well! Feel free to PM me :biggrin:

Millie
Please, please, please go careful!
I own a salon, nail bar, beauty room employing 12 staff and it's always tempting to focus on your turnover rather than your profit. Before you make any decisions at all, make sure you are doing so from a position of knowledge - not just gut feeling.

How aware are you of your numbers? Do you know these figures inside out? Do you know what percentages of your turnover should be allocated to Rent/Rates, wages etc?

For example...

A stylist needs to take a minimum of 1 cut & blow dry per paid hour.
Rent and rates should be no more than 5% of turnover
Wages (including yours) should be no more than 40% of turnover.

Take a look at a salon coach called Simon Lotinga. You will find him on the net. He charges for individual coaching but his web site has lots of free resources and he's written a couple of good books that cost very little which I have found very good for looking at my business from the 'outside'.

I hope this helps.
XX

Sorry can i just chip in here, wages should be no more than 35 percent of turnover but 30 percent is the target figure. Forty percent & over and things can get away from you very quickly in a downturn. It depends on how much you charge for a cut & blow dry ! Much better to have a hourly target figure , but firstly look at key things

How many total unsold hours per week throughout the team, what is your pre- booking percentage? What is your client return percentage etc, ( you need at least 3 months trading to track the latter)

Kindest regards Paul,
Please do not think i am a know it all anyone but i know i try to do my best ;)

Thank you everyone for your replies. I should of added that all my staff are self employed on a 50/50 basis so I suppose this changes the percentages ?

Latest posts

Back