Tanning in water?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgeous123

Reaction score
Hello,

Very new here and to the tanning industry so I apologise if my question appears daft however would it be possible to add DHA to bathwater and gain a tan via that process? Will this be effective? Also will it damage the bath tub?

My daughter wants to make a tanning bath bomb as she loves creating her own bath tubs but skeptical as whether it will work or ruin our tub!!!

Thank you for your help,

George

Have you had any training?

Hi Ciderlla 71,

No I have not I'm afraid - just looking to make homemade ones with my daughter and this is the only place on the web that appears able to give any knowledgeable advice on the subject.

Would DHA work in a bath?

Thanks for responding

Water would dilute the DHA so I'd guess it's highly unlikely.

As for it messing up the bath tub so long as you bleach/clean it straight away I've not had any issues.

I can't see a bath bomb working with dha.
Perhaps try the st tropez shower tanning product instead?

I can't see a bath bomb working with dha.
Perhaps try the st tropez shower tanning product instead?

Why do you think this? (I am someone who has very little knowledge in the area apart from a C in my chemistry GCSE - LOL)

It won't work as water dilutes dha hence why you can't get wet when you have a tan applied

It won't work as water dilutes dha hence why you can't get wet when you have a tan applied

Okay. But surely all tanning lotions/fluids are combined with water in the making process? Is it not just a matter of using enough DHA?

Okay. But surely all tanning lotions/fluids are combined with water in the making process? Is it not just a matter of using enough DHA?
I see you're point but near enough all products main ingredient is water! There are other ingredients included in products that contain DHA to help stabilise the product etc...
Honestly it wouldn't work :)

I see you're point but near enough all products main ingredient is water! There are other ingredients included in products that contain DHA to help stabilise the product etc...
Honestly it wouldn't work :)

Okay - Thank you for your advice. Would there be anything else we could add ingredient wise (such as those in products mentioned) to heighten the chances of success?

Thanks

I dont think there is anything you can do to help with this to work, it's a nice idea but really don't think it will work x

It won't work you would understand the reasons why if you had been on training like we have.

As a lecturer in level 3 cosmetic science I can say that I don't see it working on the skin. If you study the ingredients in a tanning lotion it is not just dha in it. It is the combination of ingredient types to make it stay on the skin and be absorbed.

If you like making home products have a look at a company called Aromantics. They give recipes for lots of different products and supply the ingredients - all safe to use.

With students we used to make:
Soaps
Shampoo
Cleanser
Toner
Moisturiser
Exfoliant
Mascara
Bronzing cream
Blusher

And there are lots more to do. Their starter kits are great.

As a lecturer in level 3 cosmetic science I can say that I don't see it working on the skin. If you study the ingredients in a tanning lotion it is not just dha in it. It is the combination of ingredient types to make it stay on the skin and be absorbed.

If you like making home products have a look at a company called Aromantics. They give recipes for lots of different products and supply the ingredients - all safe to use.

With students we used to make:
Soaps
Shampoo
Cleanser
Toner
Moisturiser
Exfoliant
Mascara
Bronzing cream
Blusher

And there are lots more to do. Their starter kits are great.

on a side note... what are the ingredients in a tan that make it more brown or golden? what should I look for on the ingredients list? and how much can they influence colour over a persons own natural levels of melanin?

žThe tan is not a dye, stain or paint, but a chemical reaction between the DHA and the amino acids in the dead layer on the skin surface. It does not involve skin pigmentation nor does it need UV exposure to initiate the color change.
ž The reaction is non-toxic and skin safe, without the damage associated with UV exposure. The tan is temporary and will fade gradually over 3 to 10 days.

When you look at the ingredients list on a product they always start with the things it has most of and then list in descending order.
The only way you can choose a retail tanning lotion colour is by the company's own colour scale.
If you have a spray tan in a salon your therapist will be able to advise you on what percentage tan to have, but retail products from shops won't tell you this.

So if you have pale skin a 'light' shade will show up on you but if you already have an olive toned or darker skin colour you would need to go for 'dark' for it to make a difference on your skin. You can always do 2 applications a day apart to deepen the shade.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back