Tans going patchy any ideas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*sarah*

Pmu Geek
Reaction score
Hi folks myself and 4 of my friends (who I tan) who tan every week or 2 weeks are having issues the past 3 weeks with tans fading and looking scaly. (I sometimes get this on day 6 on my lower shins)
I use 2 different tans, but same thing is happening. All are following aftercare to the letter I'm stumped!
Any ideas? I'm thinking the changing temperatures and the central heating ?
Thanks Sarah x

Hi folks myself and 4 of my friends (who I tan) who tan every week or 2 weeks are having issues the past 3 weeks with tans fading and looking scaly. (I sometimes get this on day 6 on my lower shins)
I use 2 different tans, but same thing is happening. All are following aftercare to the letter I'm stumped!
Thanks Sarah x

must be to do with skin being dry so could be central heating. I'd just put lots of non oil based body lotion on twice a day. The Nouvatan one is lovely.

Thanks that's what I was thinking too, I personally use oil free moisturiser everyday but not making any difference :( I bought some normal 7 day hydration moisturiser thought I could give that a bash next week day before try and get some more hydration into the skin lol x

I get it too, it's from the skin being dry.

Tell them to give their skin a break. This use to happen to me... I use to have a spray tan every week... After a while it just dried my skin out. I'd recommend a full body exfoliation. You probably won't want to give your skin a break for the fear of being pale etc but that's just my advice :) xx
Ps are they removing all of the old tan and moisturising and exfoliating before the new tan??

Some are some not so much lol but I scrub like mad on a Thursday and lather my skin in jasmine oil then shower the next morning put oil free moisturiser on and have a shower at night a few hours before tanning, it's usually just my shins but I think it the temperatures changing and heating on then off with it that's doing it. I know I should have a break but I can't lol funny thing is my skin doesn't feel dry either! X

Are they moisturising after every shower and exfoliating a few times a week? Sounds like the skin is dry and the tan is fading patchy.
Happens to me when I get lazy and don't exfoliate or moisturise in the weeks following a tan.

Not all of them are, but don't usually have a problem me on the other hand does and is lol I've upped it to twice a day hoping that will stop it happening, fingers crossed x

Thanks Sarah x

Exactly what is your aftercare advice? Moistuirsing daily with an oil free product should be on there.

Thanks that's what I was thinking too, I personally use oil free moisturiser everyday but not making any difference :( I bought some normal 7 day hydration moisturiser thought I could give that a bash next week day before try and get some more hydration into the skin lol x

Moisturising daily will be limiting it to your shins, try using it MORE than once a day especially on problem areas and you should notice a difference.

Some are some not so much lol but I scrub like mad on a Thursday and lather my skin in jasmine oil then shower the next morning put oil free moisturiser on and have a shower at night a few hours before tanning, it's usually just my shins but I think it the temperatures changing and heating on then off with it that's doing it. I know I should have a break but I can't lol funny thing is my skin doesn't feel dry either! X

You shouldn't be scrubbing like mad, you should be gently exfoliating for a few days before you want another tan to remove the tan gently & evenly. You shouldn't be putting oil on yourself knowing your going to have another tan as this can cause a long lasting barrier on your skin and could be affecting your tan.

Not all of them are, but don't usually have a problem me on the other hand does and is lol I've upped it to twice a day hoping that will stop it happening, fingers crossed x

First post says they are all following aftercare to the letter this last post says that not all of them are.

Looking after your skin correctly before during and after a tan is the ONLY way to have a nice tan that doesn't fade and go patchy. If they can't be bothered to follow ALL the aftercare they are going to get issues with their tans.

Sorry a little contradictory there, it's because some of my ladies are following the advice some are not, Ie not moisturising at all (but they never seem to have an issue until the past few weeks) I always recommend oil free moisturiser and even retail it. I my self make sure I use oil free moisturiser everyday, I thought trying something really moisturising on my skin the day before, then showering the next day applying oil free moisturiser and then showering before tan would be ok. Didn't realise it would still affect the tan, I have to scrub like mad to get it all off especially on shins it looks horrid there, I tend to rub my legs in bed when I'm sleeping so I'm guessing it will always be there in some form lol x

I get it too, it's from the skin being dry.

Definitely skin being dry, Central heating at this time of year probably.
Make sure you are using a oil free moist after tan. And exfoliate prior xxxxx

Latest posts

Back