Tax Self Assessment blues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanfastic

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, I am in big trouble. LOL. Years and years ago I registered online for self assessment for DH who is self employed builder. I registered with an e-mail address which is now obsolete. We never filed a return online as we ended up using an Accountant but this year we decided that since we have 2 returns and low on funds we would both do ours online. I have registered successfully this morning( probably too late as I didn't realise that it still relies on Royal mail, but hope not) but when I went in to log in on DH's registration I realised that I cant get into the old e-mail account to get the registration details, used ID or password for logging in. I spoke to the tax office but all they can do is send the details out by post. I would hope to get the info on time but was hoping that some of you could give me a bit of advice on what to do in this situation.

What happens if it gets to me too late? Can I get out of the automatic Penalty? And If we have forgotten my husbands user ID, Password and have no access to the original e-mail held on the HMRC site why cant he re-register with new up to date information?

Please help, I am panicking now, the accountant is booked up now until after the deadline so I cant even beg him to do the taxes for us, to get them in on time. Heres praying for an extension like last year when they had a backlog

All you can do is be honest with the HMRC hun. A friend of mine realised she should have been registered as self employed for her house she rents out and had 2 years worth to pay but they didnt charge her a fine as she paid up and admitted her wrong doings so I guess you can do the same and hope! x:hug:

in my first year i registered too late and was late submitting

when they send fine i sent letter explaining

and they removed fine

to be honest they are quite fair so i think if you explained this to them then they would be quite leniant

get on the phone to them now and explain and ask where to send your letter too

ive mine to do later

ahhh why am i so last minute?

hopefully you will get it through on time, i was very last minute last year and had to request new details, but they came through within 2 days, I'd say if not through by the deadline call them as previously said they are pretty fair when its been an honest mistake :) x

Thanks for the replies, we have both been registered as self employed so nothing amiss there, it is just the fact that I did not register for online Self Assessment before and hubby's in unusable due to me losing the info from 11 years ago. I will keep fingers crossed that it will all come through on time and hopefully have no fines to pay. Apparently they fine you automatically now if you owe them money or not. A couple of years ago thwy waived the fine if they ended up owing you money.

Hi there - i have provided a link if you have lost your hubby's details - all of this info can be posted out to you - there is forms that you have to complete to be posted - im not sure that the info will arrive in time for the 31st deadline but this will give your husband a reasonable excuse for appealing any penalties incurred. The cut off date for new activation codes was the 21st of Jan but they normally only take around 2 days to come out so you may be able to make it!
If not HMRC will write to you with regards to any penalties applicable for yourselves, they allow appeal for reasonable reasons why you missed the deadline i.e. documents lost and couldnt be replaced in time, death in the family, illness etc, I would always be honest with them - they should have made you aware how to get your hubbys new details so I would detail this in any correspondance with them also. They normally send out an appeal form with notification of penalties or you can write to them within 30 days. Any queries give me a wee pm! Hope this helps x
HM Revenue & Customs

I spoke to HMRC today as i requested on 9th jan an activation code and have still not recieved it.

The lady i spoke to said if people are requesting info in the last 10 days of jan, they give you until 15th feb to have filed your return,

I do not even think i need to do one as buisness is 7 mths old but i have not recieved a paper one either.

I got told by my accountant it's an automatic fine.

Go in person to your local inland rev office take all your information and explaine to them be upfront and honest....sure thay will honour you sometime to sort it out...there not that bad!!!

The worst that can happen is you will get £100 fine although you may be able to appeal to have it removed.

Last year I was a complete and utter donut and didnt press SEND for my online self assessement and got the fine! What a wally I am! Won't be making that mistake again!

Well I bit the bullet and filed mine tonight.

I have had everything in order and been ready to do it for a while but I always feel like I've forgotten something when it comes to making it official lol.

I am promising myself not to allow myself to be in this position again. I WILL be filling it in earlier in future. My aim for this tax year is to get it done by November (might get it done earlier but my deadline is Nov not Jan) and then maybe I will look at doing it earlier again the following year.

Good luck to anyone who has still not done thiers. Just 2 days left to get it done. :Scared:

Please sort them out by November ,then you now were you stand for January 31 st...
Xmas cash pays the tax man.....

I spoke to HMRC today as i requested on 9th jan an activation code and have still not recieved it.

The lady i spoke to said if people are requesting info in the last 10 days of jan, they give you until 15th feb to have filed your return,

I do not even think i need to do one as buisness is 7 mths old but i have not recieved a paper one either.

HMRC told me that it would be an automatic fine, no one mentioned an extension!!!! So frustrating. My codes have not arrived in time so my hubby's wonderful accountant has saved the day. I am e-mailing figures over to him and it will be done on time. He filed a provisional return this morning giving us till early Feb to get the actual figures together for him to submit as a revised Tax return. You have got to love him, what a good guy. I really thought he would say that he is too busy to help. So instead of paying the Tax Man a fine, I am paying an accountant. LOL

Thanks for all your replies and advice, like BaggyBear, I will also make sure I get mine sorted in advance for the next one

Aw glad you got it sorted! I always do my hubbys as close to summer as I can and will do it that way for me when I get up and running eventually! Thats the bookkeeper in me!x

I've been there myself when I was due to do my first tax return I started my business mid tax year and lost my previous p60 from my employer so didn't submit it on time. All I can say is call them be honest as everyone says they are fair we are human we make silly mistakes. They aren't as scary as you think. Good luck

Latest posts

Back