Tea Tree turning toenail green..?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessicles

Reaction score
I recently had a client return after 2 months for a pedicure. She had had a fungal infection under her big toenail, said she'd had it forever and tried the oral medications and such and nothing seemed to work, so I recommended tea tree like I usually do. Well, when she returned, she said she used it faithfully twice a day for 4 weeks, then took her own polish off and the nail was entirely green underneath the polish. So she sort of panicked and stopped using it altogether. And when she came back a month after, she said the green had just gone away, it took weeks to fade. I had no real explanation for except that I thought it sounded like a bacterial infection, but without seeing it, I had no idea. But my question is, could a bacterial infection start with tea tree being used every day? And why would the green fade away and not have to grow out with the nail? Because it was underneath?

I would say the toenail does look better now though..it seems more attached with more fresh, healthy nail behind it. I don't know if I should tell her to start using it again or not at all? Anyone heard of a reaction of this kind with tea tree before?

If it's infected why was she still wearing polish, surely it would get re infected ?

Hiya,
not an expert on nails but can vouch for tea tree.

Tea tree is the most powerful antseptic, antibacterial, antiviral essential oil and I wouldn't imagine that it would start a bacterial infection.

Tea tree was actually taken onto the battlefield in WW2 for its powers of cleansing.

I have never heard of it turning someones toe green, but then I don't do pedicures and my reflexology clients have never had a problem like this.

It's hard to tell without seeing, especially if all you have is your client's word. Also, did that toe got better after the tea tree treatment? Apart from that green thing?

Also, cannot comment tea tree oil in this case, and my post is not against the tea tree oil, don't get it this way, but:

1. No one can have fungus forever, no matter "what he tried". Simply not true. People are ashamed of fungus and will say anything. Especially with oral treatment... some of my clients had old fungus, took the whole medication treatment, came in for a regular pedicures and I trimmed and thinned the nails, and soon you could see pink, transparent and healthy nail growing.

Medications won't work or fungus will come back for this reasons:
- if someone did not take medication properly,
- if they did take medication, but they still wear infected shoes, or have someone else with fungus in their house. Fungus loves to live in laundry basket! Or they simply have bad luck to have some other constant source of fungus near their toes.

- There are people that are more prone to fungal infection, but it can be solved with simply being conscious of their feet.

- There are mild medications that will only stop the fungus from growing, and that's often questionable, and will not remove it.

- Oral antifungal medications have bad reputation - that they leave bad sidefects to your stomach, liver, etc, but not if you're in fair health, don't have cancer or any other serious condition that doctors would know about, and not in fragile age of 17 or 87! Mild fungal infection can be treated with other, more natural remedies, but old fungus is hard to get rid of!

2. No polish! If necessary, then only transparent. No colours! Ah, client's don't like to hear that. It's just easier to hide it! No matter who's polish it is! That's why someone does have fungus forever! When covered with dark polish, fungus is singing! It likes damp and dark.

I know I may sound harsh, but this is really not my intention, nor I want to rave against natural remedies. I'm just saying that some people tell stories in the salons and then go away and do nothing about that fungus. And if they only knew the consequences... athletes foot, cracking, painfull skin, ithcing, not to mention infecting other toes and people in their houses... and after few years, when nails become all thick and distorted and ingrown, and it's a pain to find shoes and even walk?

Would they treat that fungus the same if it was in the middle of their face? Would they say - oh, just put some make up on it and I'm good to go?

I'm also not saying that I refuse clients with fungus. No. I'm just saying that both we and the clients have to be aware of what it is. Especially if you practically have to burn down your salon after such service to disinfect :green: after such client, I flood my floors in disinfectant, throw away files, and I'm extra, extra carefull with anything that may came into the contact with their feet.

Sorry for being long, just trying to help :hug:

Latest posts

Back