Teacher training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julie25

Reaction score
Hi, I've tried searching but not found anything to help but please point me in the right direction if I'm repeating myself

Looking into becoming a beauty lecturer down the line (been cidesco qualified for 10years and have my own business) what would be the first steps? Tried contacting my local colleges a bit back but they didn't seem very helpful - seems a bit like you have to know someone to get your foot in the door situation.

Is it still Pttls? As I heard it was going to all be changed.

Sorry for waffling!
Thanks, jules x

Hi, I've tried searching but not found anything to help but please point me in the right direction if I'm repeating myself

Looking into becoming a beauty lecturer down the line (been cidesco qualified for 10years and have my own business) what would be the first steps? Tried contacting my local colleges a bit back but they didn't seem very helpful - seems a bit like you have to know someone to get your foot in the door situation.

Is it still Pttls? As I heard it was going to all be changed.

Sorry for waffling!
Thanks, jules x

Hi
Come across your question and saw that no one had replied,
Firstly you need to be qualified to NVQ L3 in your chosen field ie Hairdressing or Beauty Therapy.
It is as far as I'm aware it's still PTLLS, they have changed this course slightly,
This is the minimum you need to start teaching or working towards this if a college takes you on.
Then can progress to CTLLS or if you have employment teaching or if you can get a placement of a minimum of a day work experience placement CERTIFICATE OF EDUCATION done through college but is a university course. (2 years)
But bear in mind that most colleges would also want you to have your assessors qualification (TAQA) to be able to formally assess the students on NVQ/VRQ qualifications.

What I will add is that with so many colleges cut backs it is hard as there is a lot of compitition with many having all the above and experience, but it's not unachievable ... And most jobs are no longer permanent but visiting lecturer roles almost like a zero hour contract.

Hope this helps you a little any other questions just ask, or use the search as there are many threads on this which gives you other people's opinions too.

I'm a lecturer at a Sch and it's more work than you think, a lot of paperwork, planning lessons and creating PowerPoint slides, games on different topics to keep them interested and marking all done outside of the typical working day, all to be done by yourself, and to be accountable of those students who don't make progress or pass on your course.
And let's not forget at times behavioural problems with students which definitely test your patience at times ..!!!
... but it's not all doom and gloom the rewards are good when the good and outstanding students pass and are grateful of the hard work you have put in .
I'd definitely say to go into a college and ask if you can observe a variety of different lecturers and see what happens in class and what they do behind the scenes to prepare for that class before you spend a lot of money and then decide...
Hope this has helped you
Sanilulu

Thankyou for that xx

Latest posts

Back