Teeth Whitening - The law

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NE1Ste

Reaction score
I have been considering purchasing a LED light system and training to provide teeth whitening in a treatment room I have available.

I realise that I will be required to purchase liability and indemnity insurance but Im confused as regards to legislation surrounding the actual procedure.

From the research and understanding I have teeth whitening was recognised by The House of Lords as a cosmetic procedure and not dental in 2001. However it was also confirmed that tooth whitening products therefore fall within the terms of the Cosmetic Products (Safety) Regulations 1996. These regulations make it illegal to supply tooth whitening products that contain or release more than 0.1% hydrogen peroxide (.Equivalent to 0.3% Carbamide Peroxide). Since then the European Commission’s Scientific Committee on Consumer Products for a product have deemed it safe to release up to 6% Hydrogen Peroxide but that it should only be dispensed through dental practices, although this has not yet been passed as law.

From my own personal use Im aware that bleaching agents with up to 360 times more peroxide than permitted would be required to achieve the results the consumer may require and I have read reports of Trading Standards finding some beauticians and dentists doing just this.

I would like some advice from any salon's who already offer this service and what consumer feedback they have received from using 0.1% hydrogen peroxide - does it give satisfactory results?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back