Tell Olympic Committee China Dog Crack Down Must Stop *DISTURBING*

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackieMc

Reaction score
A friend of mine has just brought this to my attention and I am absolutely horrified at the cruelty involved. I have 'copied and pasted' a little info below from a website that is asking people to sign their petition (you need to register first though, but please don't let that stop you).

I have a couple links that my friend also sent me, I quickly closed the first one after seeing the first image, and didn't have the stomach to look at the others, but if you are brave enough to see how 'man's best friend' is being treated in China, or if you just need a bit of a shove to take the time to sign the petition, then have a look for yourselves, I have been warned that there are graphic and disturbing images so please be aware.

Here are the links I was sent:

Care2 Connect - China Dog Massacre: Nov 7, 2006. We Need Your Help!

Chinese county slaughters 50,000 dogs - Pet Health - MSNBC.com

And here's some info from the petition website:

"Beijing is leading the way for a massive crack down on dogs in many Chinese cities in the name of controlling rabies. Police are rounding up stray dogs, going into peoples’ homes to confiscate dogs that are bigger than regulation size (over 35cm) and dogs that are not registered. Instead of punishing irresponsible dog owners who do not register their dogs, the police are punishing man’s best friend—the innocent dogs. Few dogs that are confiscated can survive the brutal and horrible treatment of the detention centers.

The dog crack down is both unnecessary and cruel. Rabies can be successfully controlled through vaccination and prompt treatment. In fact, the rabies rate in Beijing has been very low. However, “rabies control” is used as an excuse to crack down on the burgeoning dog population in Beijing. The “battle plan” for the crack down is three-fold: 1) 100% of dogs in Beijing vaccinated 2) 100% of dogs registered 3) 100% of large dogs eliminated (killed).

As a city that will host the 2008 Olympics, Beijing is leading the way in this cruel campaign,. Many dog owners and animal lovers in China have expressed their outrage and would rather not host the Olympics. Please send a letter to the International Olympic Committee to show support for dog owners in China. We’ll deliver your voices to the IOC to make sure they know that the international community knows what’s happening to dogs in China and will not tolerate such cruelty at the site of the next Olympic games.

Not only is this dog cull unnecessary and cruel, it violates the right to property of Chinese citizens. Rabies is being used to scare people under the disguise of rabies management. The real goal is three-fold: 1) 100% of dogs in Beijing vaccinated 2) 100% of dogs registered 3) 100% of large dogs eliminated (killed). The plan is to start first Beijing, then spread the cull to the rest of China.

The goal of this slaughter is to "clean things up" before the Olympics. Please add your comments to the International Olympic Committee petition below. We’ll deliver your voices to the IOC to make sure they know that the international community knows what’s happening to dogs in China and will not tolerate such cruelty at the site of the next Olympic games."

I hope they get enough signatures to make a difference, this is so barbaric.

Jackie
x

Do you know what I have just looked through them pictures and am sitting here in floods of tears, i can not understand why any human being with a HEART could ever do that do ANY defencless animal, the Bas**** make me so sick they really do, id love to do the same 2 them 2 see how they liked it.... Just a warning if u do look at the pics they are not very nice at all so just be careful
Where does it say to sign i cant seem to find it hun xxxxx

I've signed it, but I really hope this turns out to be one of those awful hoaxes as that is just barbaric

Will we ever be able to stop this though? I mean they are still eating dogs in parts of Korea and China. I will sign it but just always think its a loosing battle that makes me so sad.

Will we ever be able to stop this though? I mean they are still eating dogs in parts of Korea and China. I will sign it but just always think its a loosing battle that makes me so sad.

I know what you mean, sometimes it's hard to understand different cultures, and I don't like to think of them being eaten, but it's the torture and cruelty I so object to. If they have a rabies problem (according to some sources they don't and are using it as an excuse) then the animals should be killed in a humane manner, not like this.

The only way to stop things like this is to bring it to the attention of the public and not think there isn't anything we can do about it. I know there's a lot of cruelty still in this country that needs to be addressed, but if people start objecting to Beijing hosting the Olympics due to their country's animal cruelty, then perhaps they might start to take note. A couple of minutes taken to sign the petition is all that it needs. Things like this aren't fixed overnight, but eventually I like to hope that people's attitude to these atrocities will change for the better.

And for anyone who might be tempted to say "they're just animals, look at the horrible things that happen to children and adults in the world today", yes I agree, dreadful things happen to both, but animals suffer pain and terror as much as any human and we have a responsiblity to treat them with the respect that any living thing deserves.

Please keep signing that petition, folks.
Thanks
Jackie
x

If they havent got a rabies problem as bad as they are saying, what reason is there to cull all of the dogs? Is that the problem? Just simply too many dogs in general? Crikey when the foot & mouth fiasco was happening, the cattle were badly treated before they died. That was this country!

I agree that dogs shouldn't be killed in the way they are killing them 'apparently' in China.

We are very lucky that we don't have rabies in this country, that the quarantine laws about importing animals are tight. Rabies is rife on the Asian continent....I watched a documentary recently about rabies and the effect it has on humans....shocking it's a very deadly virus with no cure. They had clinics set up specifically to deal with people who had been bitten by dogs and there were swarms of people in there every single day, worried that they may have caught rabies and the treament of injections is also pretty horrendous and painful if you have been bitten.

Death by rabies is violent and horrid and drawn out.

I do believe that rabid dogs should be euthanized but not in the way that has been shown in these pictures.

And I also agree that China should take measures to eradicate rabies from their country....but in a humane manner.

They say they don't have a rabies epidemic....3 cases in one city...they would say that though, wouldn't they.

I remember seeing photo's in one of the tabloids a couple of years back that showed the body of a dead baby girl lieing in the gutter with people walking past for 2 hours before an old lady came with a shovel and scooped her into a bin bag.
So much as I am horrified by these images, unfortunatly I am not suprised:sad:

Latest posts

Back