Testing cover pink and critique

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailsbyToni

Reaction score
Alright, so I briefly mentioned I had a friend who owns a nail supply store (Asian run) and making positively certain his product has no MMA in it, I agreed to test the product for him. (Acrylics)

This is a cover pink over french white tips, with a Clear acrylic cover over that, and the Gel-Like Basecoat from Fingerpaints on top.

The reason a cover pink was used is that I have short nail beds and the french white tip, when glued on properly, came really far down so I had to make a fake nail bed.

This is my hand and the nails were done by me (not ambidextrous, but I can do both hands on myself).

MY thoughts: it's not quite cover enough. I am not sure if the french white is just too white or if the opaqueness is not opaque enough. I do love the color of the pink though.

When I get my Young Nails cover pink, I intend on filing these down to do the same test. In the mean time, thoughts?

How did I do on myself????

(Yeah, I know my pinky looks rough. Got bit close on it. That happens sometimes.)

Hey, are you a qualified tech?

I didn't want to read and run, also didn't want to be rude but you did want critique so, here goes...

My first thought is that they seem quite amateur :irked:

How long, if you are qualified, have you been a nail tech?

Aside from them all being close to the eponychium and side walls the lengths/shape aren't very even.

They're also pretty chunky looking.

A lot of it could be sorted with some filing and refining. Perhaps do that and then critique yourself - get a picture of a set of nails you'd love for your work to look like and compare... :hug:

Hmm, I AM a licensed nail tech and have been since 1992 by a school, not by a company (like CND)..

1--Are you guys not taught to bring to the eponychium? We sure are. Right up to it.
2--Side walls come straight out, again, as taught (and in many training videos I've watched lately. Tammy Taylor comes to mind as I mostly follow and was trained by her methods. She's pretty chunky and side wall/eponychium like mine)
3--Length and shape are even to the right hand, as taught. I'm hearing a lot of people talk about making them the same length on each hand and that seems off to me. My fingers are not the same length or curve even, so you have to adjust the nail to fit that properly.

Now my pinky may be off, but I admitted that one. Length and shape are done based on the length and shape of my nail and compared to length and shape of right hand.

Chunky--As I said, this was a product I was testing out for an owner. The product will be refined because the main complaint with it is that we HAVE to be chunky in order to fully cover and a full cover shouldn't be like that. But I also did state I was doing this a means of testing a product for someone. :)

Again, This is a fresh set done with the purpose of critiquing a product for a friend. My Young Nails should be arriving today for me to do a critique with that.

Thanks though. We shall see how the other product does as well and in comparison.

Hmm, I AM a licensed nail tech and have been since 1992 by a school, not by a company (like CND)..

1--Are you guys not taught to bring to the eponychium? We sure are. Right up to it.
2--Side walls come straight out, again, as taught (and in many training videos I've watched lately. Tammy Taylor comes to mind as I mostly follow and was trained by her methods. She's pretty chunky and side wall/eponychium like mine)
3--Length and shape are even to the right hand, as taught. I'm hearing a lot of people talk about making them the same length on each hand and that seems off to me. My fingers are not the same length or curve even, so you have to adjust the nail to fit that properly.

Now my pinky may be off, but I admitted that one. Length and shape are done based on the length and shape of my nail and compared to length and shape of right hand.

Chunky--As I said, this was a product I was testing out for an owner. The product will be refined because the main complaint with it is that we HAVE to be chunky in order to fully cover and a full cover shouldn't be like that. But I also did state I was doing this a means of testing a product for someone. :)

Again, This is a fresh set done with the purpose of critiquing a product for a friend. My Young Nails should be arriving today for me to do a critique with that.

Thanks though. We shall see how the other product does as well and in comparison.

1) Yes but to make it super thin at the cuticle so there is barely any product so there is no ridge or ledge, the product should appear to 'melt' into the natural nail

2) The side walls of the white are straight but this is because thats tips, the side walls of the pink are 'bulbus'. In fact the whole 'pink' area is bulbous and needs thining and refining more.

3) The length is a matter or preference, I think what Emily was trying to say is that the proportions are off, correct proportions are = 1 third white, 2 thirds pink. This would make them look less 'top heavy', it would also place your apex in a better position allowing for better longevity. I suspect they will break quite easily at the stress point as they are not well balanced.

4) Smile line - you have no smile line, I'm not sure if this is because you are trying to create 'baby boomer' style, or if you have not mastered smile lines yet. Perhaps you could clarify?

5) Full coverage powder does not need to be 'chunky' to achieve coverage. It does however have to be a perfect ratio bead to allow the colour to do it's job. If you work too wet it will be streaky, if you work too dry it will be lumpy and patchy, which is why a perfect ratio bead is required. Coverage powder is just that, it provides colour coverage, you may need to add further product for strength but this would be done with clear, this too would allow for correct apex placement. (That said, some coverage powders can also be used for strength)

I too will be interested to see you second set using Young Nails products instead.

I can tell you this much--they won't break. I've never had that problem. And as for being close to the cuticle, I just ran my finger over and there is no ledge. But, we shall see what happens with the Young product.

It seems you're very confident in your work regardless of the critique.

There may not be a 'ledge' as such but they're not naturally smooth looking as I was taught an enhancement should be.

Yes, Trinity is correct. I didn't mean that they should all go in a straight line across the bottom of your hand but they should be a consistent length throughout. So, if you turn your hand to look at the free edge, if there's 4mm over the tip of your finger on one nail, there should be on all of them.

I was taught they should be no thicker than a credit card and looking at the curve on your thumb they're chunky, as has been said, this could be easily refined with a file - if that's the case that the powder doesn't cover without working thick then I wouldn't use it, it's not very flattering.

Latest posts

Back