The most awful experience of my life!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sare24

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So yesterday I fitted my first head of shrink link extensions. I told my client that the application would take around 3-4 hours. It actually took me around 7 hours and I didn't end up fitting all the bonds.

I then tried to blend the hair extensions and I used the razor technique and didn't realise how sharp the razor was.

I didn't charge my client to fit the extensions as I'm trying to build a portfolio. She just bought the hair and I agreed to fit them free of charge. I supplied all of the shrink links for free and I travelled around 20 miles to her house for free.

When I left I felt that the hair wasn't completely blended. I told her that once she's straightened it that it should blend in a lot more.

Now, I'm realising that I probably shouldn't have fitted the hair as her hair was quite short at the nape and also underneath was a darker colour than on top which meant the hair extensions didn't blend so well in that area. I did fit the extensions well and my sections were very neat and tidy.

I have texted my client today to ask her how the hair extensions are and I apologised for it taking so long but she hasn't replied :(

I just feel so upset and disheartened. Sorry for the long post.

Don't be too hard on yourself, you've worked very hard and given your best.
You will become more confident with each set you do. :)
it can be very daunting starting out, hopefully the client will understand that you are new to extensions and that's why you've fitted for free.
Extensions look more natural when washed too. Xx

Thanks so much.

Don't worry everyone starts somewhere, my first head took 9 hours [emoji23][emoji23] you didn't supply the hair so you can't be responsible for colours not matching.... Don't worry if she didn't reply.... I doubt she's unhappy, plus she didn't pay you so she won't be in the right to be annoyed, she knows your only just starting out.

Thanks! I'm slowly starting to feel better after your replies!

Hi my love,

I wish I had a picture to show you of my very first set but funnily enough I deleted it out of shame a while ago.

My first client had a bob with blonde highlights. It took me six hours, the 'highlights' I tried to create were basically blonde and brown stripes, I didn't trim them so you had all the straggly bits hanging down. In the picture at her crown blonde rings were visible and the blend was rubbish lol! 3 years later I rent a room in a salon as my full time job. Don't be so hard on yourself xxxx

Hi my love,

I wish I had a picture to show you of my very first set but funnily enough I deleted it out of shame a while ago.

My first client had a bob with blonde highlights. It took me six hours, the 'highlights' I tried to create were basically blonde and brown stripes, I didn't trim them so you had all the straggly bits hanging down. In the picture at her crown blonde rings were visible and the blend was rubbish lol! 3 years later I rent a room in a salon as my full time job. Don't be so hard on yourself xxxx

Aww! That's great!! There's still hope for me then, I guess! Thanks for your reply! X

The fact that you care that much to be worried about it shows you'll be great Extensionist, each set you'll become more confident. :) xx

The fact that you care that much to be worried about it shows you'll be great Extensionist, each set you'll become more confident. :) xx

Thank you. Practice makes perfect I suppose :) x

My first client, had 140 nano rings, she came to see me for refits twice and has since moaned at me about "loss of hair" after she took her own nanos out with pliers and now goes elsewhere! We all have to start somewhere! x

Latest posts

Back