The other 50% of hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamlea87

Reaction score
If you are reading this you are probably passionate about hairdressing, after all you are spending your free time on a hairdressing forum! I feel that one area of salon/hairdressing life that isn't talked enough about is about how we deal with clients on a day to day basis. I though maybe we could talk about how we can better interact with out clients.

Confidence: For myself anyone that knows me personally knows that I am somewhat reserved... I was the shy kid. I have found in the salon I am not the loudest, but confidence is so important in the salon situation. You don't have to be extroverted but the clients need to feel like you are confident in what they should do with their hair, and how you should do it. Like they say, fake it until you make it. If you really don't feel confident in your choices then seek out more education. Knowledge sets you free.

Listen: Usually I feel like I know what a client needs before I even speak, but I always allow them to talk first about they feel about their hair. People like to know that you are actually listening to their needs.

Excitement: When a client arrives I am always happy to see them. If it is a new client you have to understand that their nervousness may come across as cold, and we need to make then feel comfortable with us. The number one reason that clients leave a stylist is not that they were unhappy as such, but they felt the stylist was bored doing their hair. Always ask open questions and be willing to offer change, even small ones. Clients can tell when you are passionate about your job and love it... even it they are having a simple cut/colour themselves.

Be in vogue: For some clients you might be their only connection into the fashion industry. You don't have to be a fashion guru, but have a few answers prepared when they ask "what's on trend right now?"

Don't panic: After years of being fully booked with clients, and at the highest point in my professional career, I suddenly found that I was battling with some kind of anxiety. I would have times where my hands would be shaking, my heart would be pounding, breathing uncontrollably and feeling weak and sweating. I read about ways to control panic attacks (I have not been diagnosed with this) and it has helped me day to day 100%. My point is if you are feeling a certain way, then there are probably lots of other people feeling the same way and you should seek out some type of help and not feel alone.

Lets learn from each other! :)

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. At times the path of a hairdresser is a hard one to tread.

And not let's forget when they leave and when you spend so much of your time worrying if you did the right thing for the client. How you you could of done this or that better and you re-play it all over in your head.

Sometimes it's just all about holding your nerve. "Fake it until you make it" is a great saying to say to yourself, but you have to have the skills to deliver the goods. Confidence is key as is believing in yourself. We must all remember our skill sets are always different to our co workers. But that doesn't make any of us better or worse. We are all passionate about hair in different directions. When you combine different skills together within a salon it's a winning formula and magic happens. It's a really amazing feeling to be part of a successful team who produce good work and stand united.

Supporting each other and education is always the way to succeed. As well as patience for those who ask the questions who are keen to learn but need to be told more than once. We have all been there!

Excellent new thread. Thank you adamlea87. :)

(I'm heartily fed up reading about xxxplex threads.)

May I add 'Topics of conversation' to your list?

If a client clearly doesn't want to chat, allow them to be silent. Some clients are totally turned off by too much mindless chit chat whereas others adore the opportunity for a good chin wag.

Do try to keep the conversation cheery and positive. Moaning about your financial problems or troubles with your partner aren't the best topics to choose. I had a tricky appointment recently when the hairdresser cutting my hair was busy telling the entire Salon about her ex-partners health issues and various unpleasant tests. It was excruciatingly embarrassing.

@James294323 I totally agree with you. I am personally never 100% happy with my work and that makes me want to work harder. But you are so right that clients want blood, sweat and tears from us, it is not an easy job.

On a random topic do you balayage?

Excellent new thread. Thank you adamlea87. :)

(I'm heartily fed up reading about xxxplex threads.)

May I add 'Topics of conversation' to your list?

If a client clearly doesn't want to chat, allow them to be silent. Some clients are totally turned off by too much mindless chit chat whereas others adore the opportunity for a good chin wag.

Do try to keep the conversation cheery and positive. Moaning about your financial problems or troubles with your partner aren't the best topics to choose. I had a tricky appointment recently when the hairdresser cutting my hair was busy telling the entire Salon about her ex-partners health issues and various unpleasant tests. It was excruciatingly embarrassing.

Totally agree! Don't force the conversation!! #boringplex :p

Love a client who doesn't want to talk! Me - "Would you like a magazine?"

With these clients they just need to zone out and have some time to themselves. I love theses clients as you can really concentrate and get into your cut and really perfect and personalise it for them. I used to have a lot of these (city clients stressed and trusted within you to make them feel better and have space to breath). Miss them at times [emoji173]️

@James294323 I totally agree with you. I am personally never 100% happy with my work and that makes me want to work harder. But you are so right that clients want blood, sweat and tears from us, it is not an easy job.

On a random topic do you balayage?

yes I do balayage, that's what I agonise over that the most. I like things to be symmetrical and balanced so to speak. Balayage is fluid, and always slightly different. That bugs me. I know it's supposed to be like that but like most of us I want it perfect/precise every section every time. For that reason I prefer the control and placement of foils. Sometimes it's about doing something different so we don't get stuck in our ways which is why I do it. Do I enjoy it, not so much. My passion will always lay in cutting but I am trying to relax my brain to be more chilled with colour.

I'm gonna lie @James294323 they are probably my favorite type too, and in a way I like the fact they are coming to me because they like my work rather than my personality. I did find guy tangs energy contagious though, and even though I had a bad case of man flu this week I was upbeat and think I felt better for it!

yes I do balayage, that's what I agonise over that the most. I like things to be symmetrical and balanced so to speak. Balayage is fluid, and always slightly different. That bugs me. I know it's supposed to be like that but like most of us I want it perfect/precise every section every time. For that reason I prefer the control and placement of foils. Sometimes it's about doing something different so we don't get stuck in our ways which is why I do it. Do I enjoy it, not so much. My passion will always lay in cutting but I am trying to relax my brain to be more chilled with colour.

Balayage is all about retraining your eyes in a different way in regards to colour placement, but there is defiantly still a place for foils. I have something for you and the girls next Monday that should help with balayage :p

This thread is brilliant!

Balayage is all about retraining your eyes in a different way in regards to colour placement, but there is defiantly still a place for foils. I have something for you and the girls next Monday that should help with balayage :p

There has always better be a place for foils! I think if I had to just survive on balayage and global I would quit colour. I'm going to L'Oreal next month for a Balayage course to try and get a bit more pumped. My results are clean, clients are happy but I'm not really interested in it. It's just a product of being a cutter and working with top colourists who took care of all of the dirty work and all the worrying!

Which course are you doing? Advanced balayage?

Which course are you doing? Advanced balayage?

Balayage, ombré and free hand techniques. I was going for the Balayage Revolution with Jack Howard but Sara advised me to do the other course first. Have you been on either?

I havent done that one, I did the balayage adavanced but first I did Jack Howards course. He is the guy tang of balayage you should defiantly try and do it if you can. Totally talented and I know I can ask him anything anytime.

I havent done that one, I did the balayage adavanced but first I did Jack Howards course. He is the guy tang of balayage you should defiantly try and do it if you can. Totally talented and I know I can ask him anything anytime.

Maybe I will switch? Will have a look at the course outlines tomorrow. Anything that will get me inspired and pumped will do!

Sorry for the deviation off topic guys!

I would if I was you! ;)

Thread wayyyy of topic lol

Love this Topic X

When your mobile,like me you really have to work hard to keep up to date with everything. That's why I love this forum [emoji5]️

Latest posts

Back