The quickest/cheapest way to become qualified?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HagiaSophia

Reaction score
Hello there, nice to meet you all :D

I am wanting to become a nail technician. I was wondering what the quickest way to become qualified is and is the most economical?

I do my own nails but have not had much practice at doing other peoples, of course I realize I would need practice/training for this, to learn the trade and cover me legally, however I do know a couple of people who have been hired by their families companies when they had no qualifications and were just 'naturals' im know this is not the norm though.

I am an artist, I have heard about others not actually applying the nails to other people but buying blanks and painting/decorating onto them and selling these. What is this called? I feel this is something I could do in the meanwhile?

I would prefer to go on a quick course. I want to offer the service from my home. I do not want to go on a course that is one day a week for a few months of a year etc but more of a 'crash course' if there are such things.

I'm currently unemployed and do not have a lot of time or money to invest as need an income, even if its small part time income.

I do LOVE the art of nails. However i'm not going to lie in saying that income is a major part of my interest. I know a few friends of friends who are earning around £90 per day.
The other things that make me interested is that I currently have major injury that has put me out of work. I need a job where I am my own boss and can be free to a certain extent. Also I am wanting the option to leave the UK and would like a trade that I could take with me or if i could design nails then to sell though the internet.

Would love to have your input, have been scanning the boards for a couple of days now:p

Hello there, nice to meet you all :D

I am wanting to become a nail technician. I was wondering what the quickest way to become qualified is and is the most economical?

I do my own nails but have not had much practice at doing other peoples, of course I realize I would need practice/training for this, to learn the trade and cover me legally, however I do know a couple of people who have been hired by their families companies when they had no qualifications and were just 'naturals' im know this is not the norm though.

I am an artist, I have heard about others not actually applying the nails to other people but buying blanks and painting/decorating onto them and selling these. What is this called? I feel this is something I could do in the meanwhile?

I would prefer to go on a quick course. I want to offer the service from my home. I do not want to go on a course that is one day a week for a few months of a year etc but more of a 'crash course' if there are such things.

I'm currently unemployed and do not have a lot of time or money to invest as need an income, even if its small part time income.

I do LOVE the art of nails. However i'm not going to lie in saying that income is a major part of my interest. I know a few friends of friends who are earning around £90 per day.
The other things that make me interested is that I currently have major injury that has put me out of work. I need a job where I am my own boss and can be free to a certain extent. Also I am wanting the option to leave the UK and would like a trade that I could take with me or if i could design nails then to sell though the internet.

Would love to have your input, have been scanning the boards for a couple of days now:p

Try and get a hold of a Scratch Magazine and contact some of the nail companies in there and get details of their courses.

Would you be happy going to someone who is working with chemicals, who had only done a one day course!

I would steer away from a one day course - ALOT to learn about all things nails in one day. I just got my Capital hair and Beauty mag through the post and having a look at their courses they have a intensive 3 day course that might be better xx

The quickest cheapest route is not always the best, and can work out more expensive in the long run I.e. pay cheap pay twice! A lot of Geeks on here have done cheap 1 day nail courses but ended up having to pay for more training as their knowledge was still severely lacking.

What kind of course is it you want to do, are you wanting to train in enhancements be it either acrylic or gel?
Or is it a course in manicures and gel polish that you are looking for ?

If you give us some more information then we can be of more help :)

Bear in mind that there is a lot about the anatomy of nails, the structure, contraindications, nail diseases, correct preparation etc as well as how to apply a product to be a excellent nail technician. I imagine that you wouldn't learn all of these on aday course. I am doing beauty therapy which is 3 days a week fir a year and we learn a lot about nails but theres a lot I know were not learning too because there is so much. An obviously if you're only interested in nails then it probably wouldnt suit you.

If you're on job seekers you'd probably get it free though and its a decent basis for learning. I've only just started really but I am a lot more interested in nails now and the various systems.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Try and get a hold of a Scratch Magazine and contact some of the nail companies in there and get details of their courses.

Would you be happy going to someone who is working with chemicals, who had only done a one day course!

Thankyou :) I'm just having a look now on their website.

If they had been doing their nails for a long time and I liked their nails and they did not seem like a ditsy/incapable type of person then yes I would trust them with my hands, as long as they had insurance!

If you are unemployed then you may get a fee remission (course funding) at a local FE college, you may even get a kit provided. Ask at the job centre for details!

Good luck x

I would steer away from a one day course - ALOT to learn about all things nails in one day. I just got my Capital hair and Beauty mag through the post and having a look at their courses they have a intensive 3 day course that might be better xx

Thankyou :) yes I was meaning one week, although 3 day intensive sounds good!

The quickest cheapest route is not always the best, and can work out more expensive in the long run I.e. pay cheap pay twice! A lot of Geeks on here have done cheap 1 day nail courses but ended up having to pay for more training as their knowledge was still severely lacking.

What kind of course is it you want to do, are you wanting to train in enhancements be it either acrylic or gel?
Or is it a course in manicures and gel polish that you are looking for ?

If you give us some more information then we can be of more help :)

I agree and do not want to be taken for a ride, but also aware that there are other options than training over a long length of time, of course even after a course you still learn.

I am somebody who also learns better when it is short and intense, I like to really throw myself into something, work, then do a bit more training.
I would most likely want to do more training once I had the basics.

It is the enhancements that excite me the most gel and acrylic. But most people I know of offer everything.

Just an observation....
If you are thinking if nails bringing you in any quick money I wouldn't bank on it. Read through some threads on this site, it can cost you a lot in training and set up costs before you start to take any money let alone make any profit for yourself.

Thankyou :) I'm just having a look now on their website.

If they had been doing their nails for a long time and I liked their nails and they did not seem like a ditsy/incapable type of person then yes I would trust them with my hands, as long as they had insurance!

They would be unlikely to have insurance unless they had completed the basic training at least.

Bear in mind that there is a lot about the anatomy of nails, the structure, contraindications, nail diseases, correct preparation etc as well as how to apply a product to be a excellent nail technician. I imagine that you wouldn't learn all of these on aday course. I am doing beauty therapy which is 3 days a week fir a year and we learn a lot about nails but theres a lot I know were not learning too because there is so much. An obviously if you're only interested in nails then it probably wouldnt suit you.

If you're on job seekers you'd probably get it free though and its a decent basis for learning. I've only just started really but I am a lot more interested in nails now and the various systems.

Thanks :) I agree that a day course would be too short. I was hoping more for an intense 3 day or a week, even 2 week course. I realise that this would only be a 'starter' or 'introduction' I would invest more over time into improving.

I mentioned it at the jobcentre and the guy suggested this was not possible via jobcentre, I will certainly ask next time!

The jobcentre wouldnt fund it but your local college would. Not for a short course though.

Just an observation....
If you are thinking if nails bringing you in any quick money I wouldn't bank on it. Read through some threads on this site, it can cost you a lot in training and set up costs before you start to take any money let alone make any profit for yourself.

Thanks :) Yes I understand that not much in the world brings quick easy money. I'm happy to do this part time whilst I build it up. I'm unemployed so anything would be better than nothing and I would much rather be doing nails than doing something I don't really enjoy doing part time.

Thanks to those who replied. I have contacted CND about the training they offered, just waiting for them to get back.

Gel and acrylic enhancements are not as easy to do as they sound either, you need to practice, practice, practice before you get your hands on paying clients.

Have fun with it all, there are a lot of fly by nights and a lot of great techs in this world, training is the great foundation.

Latest posts

Back