The start of something big!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanVenus

Reaction score
After almost 8 months of back and forth, organising PVG record updates (protecting vulnerable groups disclosure) and chasing up the local council - I'm going to be spending an afternoon next week doing beauty treatments in the care home along the road from my house.

They want me to go regularly, once a week, and do skin and nail care on the residents. I'm so glad I went in and enquired about it because this has huge potential. Given that my PVG is with the council - this means it allows me to work in all of the care homes and sheltered housing units run by them. I'm really excited this has started to pan out for me - for a while I wondered if it was going to go ahead - I just want to shout it from the rooftops!

Mobile therapists - get yourself out there! Make information packs to hand out, price lists, think outside the box if you're feeling that things aren't as busy as you'd like - you might find it works in your favour to be pushy now and again ;)

Weldone on your perseverance! Sounds like a brilliant idea and I hope you do really well with it. Hopefully the residents will tell their family and friends outside of the care home too and that will be even more custom for you! Good luck!

Well, I noticed that almost all of my fellow college graduates were going for the glam market - and although I love doing big, glamourous makeup jobs, I really prefer working on more mature women who aren't quite sure what they're doing with makeup. I just feel there's more satisfaction from showing someone how makeup can emphasise different features. Also, when I got my nail qualification, I was working with women who often didn't get time to do their own nails and didn't really want to go to a salon to get them done - again, so much more job satisfaction when someone can see the amazing difference a bit of TLC can make to their hands.

I guess I'm just more technical and about the feel good factor rather than the glam factor - it just made sense to me to go into the local care homes and sheltered housing complexes and see if they had someone to come in and do those things. Sometimes a bit of a pamper is just the right pick me up for those who can't get out and about, and that's totally my jam.

Latest posts

Back