Therapist quit on me, not sure what to do

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murfles

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I took over a salon a few months ago and things seemed to be going well until one of my staff members informed me she is quitting and starting up her own business. I am happy for her but feel so betrayed. She has given 2 weeks notice but I am worried about her stealing clients - the longer she stays, the more clients she can inform of her new business, should I just get her to finish up ASAP?

I've never had staff before, so I'm totally out of my depth here - any advice would be much appreciated!

Firstly, you can not stop her taking the clients she brought to the salon when starting, I would check her contract to see what's in there about leaving. Keep the client cards where you can see them at all times just to be sure. Xoxo

When I handed in my notice I was asked to leave immediately she was meant to pay me for one week as per law but didn't you could do that might be classed as garden leave. Hope this helps

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

you can askr to leave immediately and put her on garden leave but you have topay her for her notice period as set out in her contract.

I think it is very importnant to do that ASAp to protect your business, its not nasty its just how our industry works.

x

Ah, thanks for the replies, I might do this, I know I can't stop her telling clients outside of work but I can sure as heck put a stop to it happening under my salon roof. I'm just wondering how many clients she's already told.

I know just how you feel. I had this, the nail tech that was self employed said she was leaving but was unable to say when. 3 months later, after telling everyone she was going, she moved and started renting a space around the corner. Won't happen again, I've learnt my lesson. Once burned and all that.

Hello, hope you are ok.

Best thing to do is for you to keep all the client cards with you, so the therapist is unable to take them with her. If you have taken over a business in which she was employed by, then you are the rightful owner of the clients data. Check your contract details with her to see whether she can work close by (with 1 mile of the salon). If you can put her on 'garden leave' as this will be the easiest way but she has probably been putting this plan into action for a while now. Advertise for a beauty therapist straightaway on job centre and facebook etc. Get a good therapist in but dont get any old therapist as you will regret it in sooner than later.

Keep your chin up and move on :)

hi, so is this lady employed by you as opposed to being self employed? If you employ her then you absolutely can stop her from telling your clients she is leaving and where she is going, whether she approaches them at your salon or whether she approaches them in her own time away from the salon, either way they are your clients not hers and you can stop her from doing that.

I would get rid of her straight away. Nothing personal or nasty, it's just good business sense. Pay her for her notice period but tell her she is on leave with immediate effect until the end of her notice period. Keep close guard over your client record cards too.

hi, so is this lady employed by you as opposed to being self employed? If you employ her then you absolutely can stop her from telling your clients she is leaving and where she is going, whether she approaches them at your salon or whether she approaches them in her own time away from the salon, either way they are your clients not hers and you can stop her from doing that.

I would get rid of her straight away. Nothing personal or nasty, it's just good business sense. Pay her for her notice period but tell her she is on leave with immediate effect until the end of her notice period. Keep close guard over your client record cards too.

Totally agree. It's business, not friendship. Read through the contract you have given your staff and it will tell you exactly where you stand with regards to restricting what she tells clients.
Garden leave is the way to go IMO.
xxx

I know just how you feel. I had this, the nail tech that was self employed said she was leaving but was unable to say when. 3 months later, after telling everyone she was going, she moved and started renting a space around the corner. Won't happen again, I've learnt my lesson. Once burned and all that.

We had this done to us as well by a SE Beautician, we found out what she was planning on here :evil:. We were happy for her to take her clients with her but she went above and beyond that, bad mouthing us and contacting hair clients that used her once or twice and personal friends of my daughters. We know as seen the letters that went out. Also claims after 2 years with us that she didn't earn much then put on her fb page that her second year in business had been very successful, where was she here!

I know it's different for employed staff but seriously protect your business, Put on garden leave. Some people are extremely unprofessional in business.

Thanks for all the advice everyone :)

So I spoke to her today and moved all her future appointments and informed her that today will be her last day. She was happy with that so it has all worked out ok. Yes she is employed by me, I don't think she will try and take client cards, as we have filing cabinets full of them, but I can't prove whether or not she is telling anyone of her intentions. I will have to get onto advertising straight away and hope I can find a decent therapist in a hurry. Always such a risk taking on a new person!!

Latest posts

Back