Thickness of sculpts versus overlays

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Nails

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Just wondered if anyone could clarify a question for me. I'm finally in the enviable position of not getting lifting yeah!!!

However now I have more time to concentrate on the final overall shape of the nail, my clients have recently broken a few. So this morning I decided to reverse sculpt a nail on myself using the 2 credit card thickness at the apex rule. Wow I'm definitely not building up the apex enough.

So my question is could I use this for overlays as well. Most of my clients have very demanding jobs (working in special needs schools, supermarkets, cleaners and horse owners) to name but a few.

Thanks am very interested in this. Ps my sculpt this morning is probably the best shape I have ever achieved basically because I had a little more product to work with lol. Sorry also would you use forms every time you did an overlay as week .
Xx

Last edited:
I build my nails exactly the same whether they are sculpted or tipped .. it should not make any difference at all.

Thanks Geeg,

I thought as much, it's just that when I did my NVQ they told me natural nail overlays had to be really thin. Problem is is that eventually all enhancements become natural overlays and the nails still need apex strength or so I thought.

I did a set tonight for my friend and whilst they weren't as aesthetically thin as I would like, she loved the little bit of extra strength and a better apex. With 7 horses I have to do slightly more than credit card thickness otherwise the horses break them off lol.

Hope you are keeping well. :Love:

I did a manicure on a lady today and she said I was wonderful. She said my knowledge of nails and how I treated her made her feel very special. I told
her all about CND and my training and she was really impressed.

Honestly made my night. Xxxxxxx

Hi

What is the 2 credit card rule.. Iv never heard of it. xx

I was thinking that too - Ive never heard of the 2 credit card rule either...

Lol

Sorry it's not as a rule but basically something to kinda of aim at. They say that the thickness of an acrylic enhancement should be roughly two credit cards thick at the apex.

So yesterday I did a reverse sculpt for zones 3 and 2 and measured two credit cards and realised my apex hasn't been thick enough so my girlies are breaking their sculpts easier. Basically it's all about building a spine down the nail. I'm sure Geeg would be able to explain things much better than me.

It's just a sort of guide for us newbies to aim at. I always stress my nails are too thick. Xx

You know thinness is really an illusion.

Nails look thick when the free edge looks thick, but if you keep the free edge thin then the rest of the nail can really be quite a bit thicker and no one would know, provided your curvature is gentle and not angular.

You CAN have a really strong nail that still looks thin, sleek and natural.

Lol

I'm nuts Gigi do you know that.

Today I went to my nieces to do a rebalance. Firstly no lifting, secondly no breaks and thirdly the nails I thought two weeks ago were doorsteps were beautifully thin. Swear I'm going mad lol.

Then this afternoon got my 86 year old client to have Shellac which she is over the moon about, then her daughter shows me a pair of hands that two weeks ago were seriously like crocodile skin!!! Which are now like babies bottoms due to using solar oil and CND almond moisturiser.

A darn good day me thinks xxxxxx

Ps thank you for your continued support of me, I'm trying my hardest to support others and spread the love .

Lol

I'm nuts Gigi do you know that.

Today I went to my nieces to do a rebalance. Firstly no lifting, secondly no breaks and thirdly the nails I thought two weeks ago were doorsteps were beautifully thin. Swear I'm going mad lol.

Then this afternoon got my 86 year old client to have Shellac which she is over the moon about, then her daughter shows me a pair of hands that two weeks ago were seriously like crocodile skin!!! Which are now like babies bottoms due to using solar oil and CND almond moisturiser.

A darn good day me thinks xxxxxx

Ps thank you for your continued support of me, I'm trying my hardest to support others and spread the love .

Isn't it lovely when clients commit and do the aftercare required to FIX the problems they have? I love results!!

Many a time I have done a set that I AM NOT PLEASED WITH ONLY TO SEE IT 3 WEEKS LATER AND to BE SURPRISED HOW NICE THEY WERE!! sOUNDS CRAZY BUT IT HAPPENS TO ALL OF WE WHO ARE CRITICAL (MAYBE OVERLY CRITICAL) OF our work (all perfectionists) which most creative people are. So you are not going mad, I promise.

I always support the ones who really work at getting things right!! lol

Isn't it lovely when clients commit and do the aftercare required to FIX the problems they have? I love results!!

Many a time I have done a set that I AM NOT PLEASED WITH ONLY TO SEE IT 3 WEEKS LATER AND to BE SURPRISED HOW NICE THEY WERE!! sOUNDS CRAZY BUT IT HAPPENS TO ALL OF WE WHO ARE CRITICAL (MAYBE OVERLY CRITICAL) OF our work (all perfectionists) which most creative people are. So you are not going mad, I promise.

I always support the ones who really work at getting things right!! lol

Do you know what is the best thing about my lady committing to my advice. It's that all the others who swear blind they have faithfully used their hand cream and solar oil are telling big fat porkies!!!!

She was so pleased with the results she has ordered 5 bottles for friends and family of the almond moisturiser! So how about that for a big thumbs up CND.

This week has truly lifted my spirits and now I know what to do in 2012 more education. Hmmmm now what next.

:hug: to you Gigi. Wish I could express to you how grateful I am, words just don't seem enough. One day if I ever meet you I will give you the biggest hug ever xx

Back