Thin splitting nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flitch

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope someone can offer some info on a little problem.

I have a very good friend who has advanced MS and is on many different types of medication. In the past she has always had very healthy nails (even with all the meds) they were strong and rarely broke. She didn't keep them long as they interfered with the wheelchair but she definitely was able to keep some free edge.

She rang me this am and said that her nails have recently started to flake and split and the free edge is now paper thin. A few weeks ago she was started on a new drug - Omeprazole (for acid reflux). My immediate thought was that this was probably the cause and have googled the drug but cannot find any side effects that relate to nails.

I have advised that she files her nails down so there is no free edge above the finger tip, recommended lashings of solar oil and told her to keep her hands out of water as much as possible and make sure she drys them really well when they have to be in water.

My questions are - is it most likely to be the drug and if so can we do anything to combat the side effect as she has to stay on it permanently? and have I given the right advice so far? Lastly what else can we do?

Thanks everyone in advance for any and all info you can provide.

Hi,
I have been doing some research for you, one of the side effects of the medication is vomiting, which means she might not be getting all she needs from her food. Also it can cause vitamin B12 deficiency, which in turn can cause pernicious anaemia and this could be the cause of the nail problems. Suggest she go she her doctor and she needs is a blood test to she is she has pernicious anaemia and if she has they will give her aVitamin B12 injection. She can also get vitamin B12 from eggs and milk ,meat, poultry and shellfish. that is all the info I could find I hope it helps. I know we are not suppose to diagnose conditions but you might be able to suggest she sees her doctor about it. sorry could not be of more help.

thanks for the advice will check with her about the b12 thing and suggest a trip to the docs.

If anyone else has any other ideas I would be most grateful too.

I have a client in the same position, she has advanced MS as well as other ailments including diabetes, arthritis and rheumatism, we have the same problem with her nails, they peel and split for a pastime!
She has started to take a supplement for hair and nails, we've seen an improvement in the condition of her nails. She had a problem keeping gel and fibreglass on her nails but (touch wood!) she seems to be ok with a short L+P overlay.

Do she want to keep her nails natural or have an overlay on them?

Thanks for the info. I think she would prefer to keep them natural, but is prepared to try overlays. I think the main problem for her is the cost. I have offered to do and maintain them foc (she is a very close friend and is really quite ill at the mo) but I think she's a bit embarressed to accept and would therefore like to try and keep them natural.

If she would prefer to keep them natural then apart from her taking hair/nail supplements she can use a product such as Toughen Up base coat by Creative, it's a natural nail strengthener which promotes cross linking.

Her general health won't be helping the condition of her nails, your advice of her use of Solar Oil is fab :green:

Thanks for the info Sandi. Will order some Toughen Up tomorrow. Am going to offer her a course of manicures FOC as I think she is more likely to accept this as a gift rather than enhancements. Have suggested the hair and nail supplements too, but I don't think she will take them - she says that she feels like a walking pharmacy with all the meds she is on. Like your client she too has arthirits and also an underactive thyroid so she has to take thyroxin daily. I suspect the cost is also an issue.

As regards the B12 thanks, annemac for the info. I have checked with her and she already takes a B12 supplement as apparently, this can be lacking in people with MS and is beneficial.

Once again thank you both for your advice, I'll let you know how her nails do after some pampering.

Latest posts

Back