Thinking of converting from Shellac to Gelish - questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_hannahbeth

Reaction score
Hi all :)

Basically it's as the title says, I currently use Shellac for my gel polish but find it's quite damaging to clients nails and sometimes it doesn't last and I've heard a lot of good things about Gelish. I'm just wondering what are your experiences with Gelish, how does it last etc? Also what's the application process so I can compare to my Shellac. For Shellac I currently do:

Filing, prep of the nails etc.
Thin application of base coat, then cure with UV.
Two thin applications of colour (curing after each application)
Thin application of top coat then cure.
Wipe of sticky layer and apply cuticle oil.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Hello,

I use gelish and love it, I find most of my clients get up to three weeks if not longer :) and find it very easy to use and wouldn't ever change.

I'm wondering why you buff with Shellac, my understanding is that this isn't required with this system? Sorry if I'm wrong! Your steps as they are, would be the same for Gelish.

Xx

Hello,

I use gelish and love it, I find most of my clients get up to three weeks if not longer :) and find it very easy to use and wouldn't ever change.

I'm wondering why you buff with Shellac, my understanding is that this isn't required with? Sorry if I'm wrong! Your steps as they are, would be the same for Gelish.

Xx

No you're not wrong, no buffing of the natural nail with Shellac. I wonder if the OP has done the Shellac course? It might be worth doing the Shellac Brings Em Back course and try to troubleshoot anything you're having difficulty with before you change horses. With properclient care, Shellac is the most gentle of all the systems if you do it properly. :)

Shellac shouldn't cause nail damage if applied and removed correctly.

Can I ask why you buff the nails? You don't need to so that.

I've used both, started with shellac, changed to Gelish and went back to shellac.

Gelish was good but the removal and the amount of layers certain colours needed to be opaque was a pain.

Gelish have an amazing colour selection but I find shellac a lot simpler more manageable and much easier to remove my clients get 2-3 weeks and Gelish was around the same.

X

Hello,

I'm wondering why you buff with Shellac, my understanding is that this isn't required with? Sorry if I'm wrong! Your steps as they are, would be the same for Gelish.

Xx

ahh that's good to hear! I was worried it'd be some different crazy process! No I don't buff with all my applications, I meant just general prep, sometimes I buff very lightly if the client has uneven nails or anything like that. You don;t have to Shellac xx

Shellac shouldn't cause nail damage if applied and removed correctly.

Can I ask why you buff the nails? You don't need to so that.

I've used both, started with shellac, changed to Gelish and went back to shellac.

Gelish was good but the removal and the amount of layers certain colours needed to be opaque was a pain.

Gelish have an amazing colour selection but I find shellac a lot simpler and much easier to remove.

X

No I know you don't have to buff with Shellac, I just meant it in general prep, sorry :) I just find a lot of clients nails have weakened from Shellac x

No you're not wrong, no buffing of the natural nail with Shellac. I wonder if the OP has done the Shellac course? It might be worth doing the Shellac Brings Em Back course and try to troubleshoot anything you're having difficulty with before you change horses. With properclient care, Shellac is the most gentle of all the systems if you do it properly. :)

I've done all my courses, I know you don't have to buff I just meant general prep and don't really know why I wrote that! Had too much nail prep on my mind! I'm simply just looking into other options and wanted to know other's opinions x

ah ok. :)

Do your client use their solar oil daily because the nails can get really dehydrated if they don't. Same will happen with other systems too.

ah ok. :)

Do your client use their solar oil daily because the nails can get really dehydrated if they don't. Same will happen with other systems too.

I've advised them too and they say they do but you never know do you. A lot of my clients are happy with Shellac and find no damage but there's just the odd few who's nails seem to have gone a bit brittle since useage and they put it down to Shellac, I don't think it is but it's hard to argue otherwise when there nails were fine before. Thinking about it, the main client who's nails have become brittle is now on medication so it could be down to that as I know medication can cause thin and brittle nails x

No I know you don't have to buff with Shellac, I just meant it in general prep, sorry :) I just find a lot of clients nails have weakened from Shellac x

There are a couple more steps with Gelish (ph bond, shine removal and dry brushing the foundation) I'd say get a few colours to test on yourself so you can judge if you like it or not.

Not sure why they are getting damage from shellac but if they get damage from shellac then chances are they'd get it with Gelish too.

Defo try it though x

Edit - oops forgot solar oil! Make them use it especially the lady with damage lol x

If you change to gelish you will have to buff the natural nail down, which will cause the nail to become even more brittle, more so than it would do with shellac....?

I've advised them too and they say they do but you never know do you. A lot of my clients are happy with Shellac and find no damage but there's just the odd few who's nails seem to have gone a bit brittle since useage and they put it down to Shellac, I don't think it is but it's hard to argue otherwise when there nails were fine before. Thinking about it, the main client who's nails have become brittle is now on medication so it could be down to that as I know medication can cause thin and brittle nails x

If you are seeing a decline in their nail condition and they are blaming Shellac, go back to basics with them and educate them on why there is no damage with these products and how aftercare plays an important part in nail condition.
You have had the education with your product training so you know you are not doing any damage and you know the product cannot do damage alone, so that leaves one scenario. Naughty clients! Switching to another brand will not make any difference to your situation in my opinion.

There are a couple more steps with Gelish (ph bond, shine removal and dry brushing the foundation

If you change to gelish you will have to buff the natural nail down, which will cause the nail to become even more brittle, more so than it would do with shellac....?

Actually, you don't have to do these extra steps with Gelish. Because it tends to make removal much more difficult, we do not use ph bond unless the client has a history of lifting or peeling; we do not buff and never dry brush, and we get anywhere from 14-21 days wear.

Gelish is a great product as is CND Shellac, but before you switch, I would encourage you to take a hard look at the damage issue. CND Shellac, properly applied and removed, should not cause any damage and my concern would be if you have damage with Shellac, you're likely to have it with any other gel polish brand. So solve that problem before you move to a new brand.

Hi all :)

Basically it's as the title says, I currently use Shellac for my gel polish but find it's quite damaging to clients nails and sometimes it doesn't last and I've heard a lot of good things about Gelish. I'm just wondering what are your experiences with Gelish, how does it last etc? Also what's the application process so I can compare to my Shellac. For Shellac I currently do:

Filing, prep of the nails etc.
Thin application of base coat, then cure with UV.
Two thin applications of colour (curing after each application)
Thin application of top coat then cure.
Wipe of sticky layer and apply cuticle oil.

Many thanks!
do it x

I thought you buffed with gels, oops! Shows I'm into my shellac hehe x

Actually, you don't have to do these extra steps with Gelish. Because it tends to make removal much more difficult, we do not use ph bond unless the client has a history of lifting or peeling; we do not buff and never dry brush, and we get anywhere from 14-21 days wear.

Gelish is a great product as is CND Shellac, but before you switch, I would encourage you to take a hard look at the damage issue. CND Shellac, properly applied and removed, should not cause any damage and my concern would be if you have damage with Shellac, you're likely to have it with any other gel polish brand. So solve that problem before you move to a new brand.

What's dry brushing? x

Basically because shellac is more porous, it may not last quite as long as a gel polish. You could even try Bio Seaweed Gel, their system is great and no primer or heavy buffing needed either. If you get the unity polishes, you don't even need to use a base coat if you're doing a pedicure!

you dont buff the nail down with gelish ???? i had shellac done and she took tons of my nail bed off, grey harsh banana file .. the product is as good as the therapist ... thats it. gelish has more colours . thats why my therapist used it .

There are a couple more steps with Gelish (ph bond, shine removal and dry brushing the foundation) I'd say get a few colours to test on yourself so you can judge if you like it or not.

Not sure why they are getting damage from shellac but if they get damage from shellac then chances are they'd get it with Gelish too.

Defo try it though x

Edit - oops forgot solar oil! Make them use it especially the lady with damage lol x

Yeah I'm thinking it's down to naughty clients too but you know how they can be, it's so hard to try and talk to them sometimes! x

That's very true and a valid point.... x

Latest posts

Back