Thinking of converting from Shellac to Gelish - questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much for your opinion, that's such a good idea if trying one in each hand, I do like shellac but I was just worried about that one client mainly with weak nails, I will definitely look into that smoothing gel, how do you apply it etc? Where can I purchase it? Xx

For me shellac is pants it's doesn't last it doesn't give the nails any extra strength or flexibility where as gelish does ... there isn't any real difference in applying gelish or shellac as you don't have to buff the nail before gelish and dry brushing takes seconds that is if you do it at all ... I will agree shellac removed easier as most of it was off before the 3 weeks was up as gelish was still on intact ... I have 15 bottles of shellac and over 150 of gelish surely that speaks for itself

For me shellac is pants it's doesn't last it doesn't give the nails any extra strength or flexibility where as gelish does ... there isn't any real difference in applying gelish or shellac as you don't have to buff the nail before gelish and dry brushing takes seconds that is if you do it at all ... I will agree shellac removed easier as most of it was off before the 3 weeks was up as gelish was still on intact ... I have 15 bottles of shellac and over 150 of gelish surely that speaks for itself

I'm getting so many mixed replies about this!! I'm so confused haha! I think I'm going to just but some Gelish and try for myself, see which I prefer personally! Xx

You definitely need to try it for yourself as it can be down to personal opinion. I use shellac at the salon I work in (my boss loves it) but I use gelish on my own clients and prefer it to the shellac! I find it so much easier to apply, colours are gorgeous and is that little but stronger than shellac. But good luck on deciding!!

Thanks so much for your opinion, that's such a good idea if trying one in each hand, I do like shellac but I was just worried about that one client mainly with weak nails, I will definitely look into that smoothing gel, how do you apply it etc? Where can I purchase it? Xx

What a shame Hannah you are being bombarded with so much conflicting information. You are prob better to try it for yourself. Everyone is different and likes different things. I was being totally honest with my findings, but they are my own personal findings and opinions.

To answer you questions, you can purchase BL smoothing Gel from any CND distributor. I get mine from Sweet Squared. You apply it after PEP with a thin coat of BL base coat, then a thin coat of BL smoothing gel, then go right onto first colour coat of Shellac. I can still do this quicker than all the Gelish steps (if you apply Gelish the way the Manufacturer advises you too)

Hope you get on ok with whatever you try. Just think carefully before committing to a full change of product as it can be an expensive move. Just buy a few to see how it goes xx

I use both...I prepare them both exactly the same and I get the same time results. I often use the shellac lamp for gelish too if the gelish led lamp is being used by another therapist. I do tend to go back to the Brisa smoothing if I think someone's nails are weak....but (whispers quietly) I sometimes apply gelish over it 😱 and have absolutely no problems. I don't dry brush unless I feel too much base coat went on.

All my clients prefer gelish.

If you 'BUFF' it's with a 180 grit SPONGE file - once over the nail, removes shine. No damage done (also takes no time at all, don't see why this is a big deal)

PH Bond - amazing product - again takes 50secs max (5secs per nail) and gelish lasts a lot longer than shellac, even on the same client.

Overall application takes 30mins max. If it takes you longer than this ... Why?! Time is money and your losing out.

Dry brush - brush once over each nail to remove shine of base layer. Really quick and effective. No biggy.

Removal - I don't understand what difference it makes in removal time. Gelish can be easily removed in 15 mins. It can be removed an re-applied in 1 hour tops. If you work in a home salon or mobile then I'll let you off ... But if you work in a salon then you can book clients Inbetween. Maybe that same client wants there brows done whilst their fingers soak? Booking out 10 or 15 mins this way won't make a difference to your income, if your working your diary properly.

I'm not saying I dislike Shellac at all, but I've used both, along with OPI gel colour (and bio sculpture - different type of gel) and I must say over all I prefer gelish.

Laura xx

I use shellac, but just have a question about Gelish removal because I have been tempted to get some Gelish for clients who are a little tougher on their polish. Is Gelish actually more difficult to remove than shellac or does it just take a longer soaking time? I could deal with soaking for an extra five minutes if the Gelish would flake off the way shellac does. I just don't want to be scraping or buffing it off. Does Gelish come off easily after sufficient soaking?

I use shellac, but just have a question about Gelish removal because I have been tempted to get some Gelish for clients who are a little tougher on their polish. Is Gelish actually more difficult to remove than shellac or does it just take a longer soaking time? I could deal with soaking for an extra five minutes if the Gelish would flake off the way shellac does. I just don't want to be scraping or buffing it off. Does Gelish come off easily after sufficient soaking?

I think this is a very smart question and really hits it on the nose. In my experience, Gelish is not harder to remove, but it does take a bit longer. I think people get into trouble when they give Gelish the same soaking time as Shellac and then can't get it off as easily. It needs a few more minutes and will then remove easily.

But I must confess to being very impatient, especially when doing my own nails, so longer equals harder for me. :o

Wait, Gelish requires an LED lamp? X

Uv or led, I have the gelish led and it cures in 30 secs... Brilliant, time is money etc xx

Wait, Gelish requires an LED lamp? X

No, it has the added benefit that you can use LED that's all. You can use your CND Shellac lamp with Gelish no problem according to HNH.

These threads have a tendency to turn into a Harry Hill scenario because people are passionate about the system they use (which is a nice thing) but try to pick out the objective information that is going to help you.

I have both systems and I love each for what they offer. I'm getting the feeling from your recent post that it is just one client that is being a challenge for you. I wouldn't be doing anything drastic over just one client so I can't help also getting the feeling that this isn't the only thing that's making you question buying into another brand.

Just to add, I use gelish and never use pH bond, i use scrubfresh and never have any problems :) x

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi what is scrub fresh? Please x

No, it has the added benefit that you can use LED that's all. You can use your CND Shellac lamp with Gelish no problem according to HNH.

These threads have a tendency to turn into a Harry Hill scenario because people are passionate about the system they use (which is a nice thing) but try to pick out the objective information that is going to help you.

I have both systems and I love each for what they offer. I'm getting the feeling from your recent post that it is just one client that is being a challenge for you. I wouldn't be doing anything drastic over just one client so I can't help also getting the feeling that this isn't the only thing that's making you question buying into another brand.

Ahh fantastic, thank you! Yes it does doesn't it aha! I just like to hear people's opinions but end up hearing so many negatives about one, I definitely think the way to go is to just but a few myself and try them out. Your right, that one client isn't my whole reason for wanting to change but it did get me thinking about looking into another and I love the colours of Gelish, plus it's cheaper and more accessible to me than Shellac (although I know ellisons do next day delivery and all that but having Gelish just down the road at the wholesalers just seems somewhat easier!) there's no reason why I can't use both and just let the client decide what they want! But I'm definitely going to buy a couple of bottles and have a go with it. Thank you for your advice xx

Hi what is scrub fresh? Please x

Scrub fresh is a CND nail sanitiser to be used before shellac, it cleans the nail plate and temporarily dehydrates the nails so reduce lifting and help it adhere better x

Also I'm really annoyed I left out the N in Converting in my title!!!! - sorry!!! :)

I think it's such a faff and time waster to have to file down the gel before you wrap to remove it, shellac is sooooo much easier

Latest posts

Back