Thinking of getting a dog

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a miniature poodle, easy to train not small like a toy poodle and not big like a standard poodle.

He is good tempered and great with my 3 kids aged 10, 8, and 4 he's 3 now and starting to come out of the energetic puppy phase.

Jemima :)

We used to have a poodle, they are very clever, second only to a Border Collie apparently :cool:

Ive got a fear of poodles :( got bit by one as a child... & a cat... :( xx

I would just like to disagree about choc labs, I have a 6 year old choc, had her from 8 weeks and she is as far from mutant as possible. She has the most wonderful, loving temperament and has the best relationship with my 2year old neice. I would always go chocs and know many people would disagree with you

I didn't say all choc labs were bad and I don't doubt that you have a nice one. I said they tend to have the worst traits in the breed as in tend to be harder to train than the yellow and black, are greedier, you see far more overweight chocs than others and more prone to joint problems. They are not true to the breed as they are a new introduction. In the past labs were either yellow or black, and even now you very rarely, if ever, see a choc lab on the shooting field (which is what they were actually bred for) Someone decided to cross them purely for the colour of their fur hence the mutant title. Similar to labradoodles, cockerpoos etc. even the man who started that trend has admitted that he should never have done it and that he has ruined the breeds with badly bred dogs.
Obviously you have a biased opinion as you have one but to try and say all choc labs are so wonderful like yours is like trying to say all pit bulls and Staffies are dangerous! Simply not true.

I agree a staffie might not be an ideal dog if it's your first, they have strong characters and you really need to be a strong pack leader with them... Don't get me wrong - I LOVE staffs. Beautiful gentle dogs unfortunately given a bad name by bad owners. Amazing with children and used to be known as the nanny dog.
A lab is a big dog fine if you have a big enough house. spaniels require a ton of exercise some can have aggression issues (look up rage syndrome my aunt is having issues with hers at the moment), both are working breeds but can make lovely pets. My dad is a dog handler in the police so there's never a shortage of four legged furries around haha. He currently has a German shepherd (lovely nature aswell) and 3 spaniels (2 are lovely one is not so friendly)

My mum has miniature schnauzers, they are gorgeous little dogs, lovely natured. Boxer dogs are lovely too. Bit mad tho!

June is a good time to start though, it's easier to house train in the summer I think. I, desperate for a doggy, our staff was pts 2 years ago now. Hubby says I've to wait till the kids are at school.

Latest posts

Back