Thinking of moving to London

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papillion

Reaction score
I'm thinking of moving to London and am trying to investigate.

I know it's expensive to live and have found that a room in a house share is around £800pm.

I havent any idea of where in London or how people up there earn enough to survive!

Anyone got any info ro experience to share that might help?

I live here, and survive just fine! We charge more for services.

I'm an East Londoner but now living on the outskirts. What part of London appeals to you? East? North? South? West? They all have good and bad areas. Shoreditch is very cool at the moment.

£800 for a room???! Where are you looking?

That's what I thought! You could get a flat share with on other person for that.

I lived in nw london for over 20 yrs, got a 1 bed flat for £650 n that was expencive lol didnt include any bills tho

Easily get a flat share for £800 a month, unless she is looking quite centrally in London.

£800!!??
Look a little bit further out of where you've found at the moment and you'll get it cheaper. Xx

heck for £800 a month I would want a studio apt minimum!

I used to rent a 3 bed flat in Sydenham (zone 3, south east London) and I loved it there! Great commuter links via bus, train and overground.

I paid £1,000 but I know my flat is now being rented out for £1,300 - just to give you an idea of how much you can get for your money in other areas :)

Methinks VERY central!

Look further afield, ie outskirts as Kim said, and you'll get your own place for that! (But you'll also then have to add in travelling costs to central London if that's where you want to work and that can be VERY expensive). x

For travel information prices see Home | Transport for London

hth xxxx

Thanks everyone. Yes I have been looking centrally, but I have only been looking things up on 'average cost of living in London' websites to start to get an idea, and some websites arent always accurate.

Someone else also told me Shoreditch was currently the place to be.

My lil sister lived in Camden for a while a few years ago so I shall go and pick her brains this week.

I really have no idea which area yet, I'm a country mouse and when I visit I just go to the West End and Piccadilly, hence the need to find out more.

In the West End you'd pay top end prices .. look further out. My sister lived in Bethnal Green and paid £1000 for a one bed flat which she shared with her blokie so £500 each.

Latest posts

Back