This makes me angry!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lydia c

Reaction score
I've been qualified for 10 years now what has annoyed me is one of the mums up the school has decided to become a mobile hairdresser !
She has no training at all its like she woke up one day and decided that's what she wanted to do ( honestly )
She has a facebook page and has posted some of her work and terrible isn't the word ! Her cuts literally have steps in them and the baseline is completely uneven !
Her hair up is showing all the pins and you can't call them hair ups
But the most worrying thing is she is advertising colours !! Yes colours I'm worried about the people in the local area ( sounds silly I know )
But I found colouring and all the theory side really really hard to master and 10 years later I'm still learning .
My question is what would you do let her carry on ?
It really annoys me and I know there isn't much I can do 😕

I'm not a qualified hairdresser yet but I would say find out if she has insurance and make sure in no way that she will not touch anyone else hair, I went through half of my hairdressing course at college before I had to leave before I passed so I know the basic colours and cuts but I would In no way touch anyone's hair with colour or even cutting without insurance and the proper knowledge

Yes I would fully well let her carry on and more fool the people that use her. As harsh as it sounds it will teach them a lesson and her one too. Hate to think what will happen when she gets hold of some bleach! Eeekkkk. Just keep doing what you are doing. There will be "beware of her" on the face book buy and sell sights in no time xxx

I Wouldn't worry about her taking your clients, people may try her out of curiosity but will unlikely return if she is that bad!
There will always be competition and people like her who think it's easy money but chances are, 6 months on or when she starts getting complaints from clients and won't know what to do, she will decide it's not for her and move on to the next thing!

It's a shame the industry still isn't regulated so there is no legal requirement to hold hairdressing qualifications but I doubt she would get insurance without qualifications or some sort of evidence of training and experience. Paddle your own canoe and focus on growing your business, people like her will come and go and at the end of the day make true professionals like you look good when you have to rectify their mistakes!

After 20 years in the biz I have learned that crap stylists are a dime a dozen but the best part is that when a botched color comes your way, you do awesomely & look like the chem goddess you are getting rave reviews & tons of new referrals from your newly devoted subject! Even better if your new loyal subjects have had a few botched colors in a row! Plus you can charge a bit more or get some wicked color correction clients for the big money so I say sure thing to the inexperienced! Eventually they will be coming my way by the dozen so don't sweat it! It just makes us look way better than even we think we are...great PR.:wink2:

Welcome to 'THE NEW WORLD'......
I've been in this industry 30 + years.....it breaks my heart what it has turned into.....
The whole PROFESSION, in my opinion, is jeopardised by 'FAST TRACK TRAINING'.
The public increasingly see this as an 'ANY ONE CAN DO' occupation, which lesson's our 'Professional' status.
I hear daily, folk thinking of 'doing a bit of beauty' or 'having a go at nails'.
Another favorite is, 'thinking of leaving my city job, as I've always liked 'playing' with hair, so i might go mobile.....'
I know what we do isn't brain surgery, but to be good, takes far more than a quickie course, or worse still, a night of watching youtube!

I agree it's annoying but probably not that uncommon.

I used to do highlights for a good friend using Goldwell products (not cheap) and charge her only £25 in return as she was a model for me a couple of times at college.

However, one day I saw her with a brown box dye on her hair. It looked drab and didn't do anything for her but she was payng her next door neighbour to apply it apparently to save money. She had a few grey hairs she wanted to cover.

Fair enough, I was a bit annoyed but I realised it was partly my own fault for doing it so cheaply in the first place. I never made that mistake again. :)

Lolll what? Why would anyone try to be a hairdresser without training. Wont last long if the work is bad

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I've been qualified for 10 years now what has annoyed me is one of the mums up the school has decided to become a mobile hairdresser !
She has no training at all its like she woke up one day and decided that's what she wanted to do ( honestly )
She has a facebook page and has posted some of her work and terrible isn't the word ! Her cuts literally have steps in them and the baseline is completely uneven !
Her hair up is showing all the pins and you can't call them hair ups
But the most worrying thing is she is advertising colours !! Yes colours I'm worried about the people in the local area ( sounds silly I know )
But I found colouring and all the theory side really really hard to master and 10 years later I'm still learning .
My question is what would you do let her carry on ?
It really annoys me and I know there isn't much I can do 😕

Just let her get on with it, be around to fix all her clients hair and then everyone will know to go to you!

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

I wouldn't worry about it. People aren't stupid. They'll work it out. Surely you can't rely solely on mums from the school as your clients? I would hold my head high and be proud of your achievements and continue with your good work.

Latest posts

Back