Thoughts please: bleach or Olaplex users advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surf girl

Reaction score
Ok, this may be a little long winded but it's really playing on my mind, I've asked some chemists for opinions but they haven't said yes this is the problem so I'm going to run it past you guys...

I've been doing this client for years, visits every 6-9 weeks

Client is natural 6 heavily highlighted using 6% for many years but not overlapping just roots each time with occasional semi spatch once or twice a year to break up...

Wants to be blonder each appointment so we start doing weave & slice instead of just weaves, still no overlapping, still 6%...

(No olaplex at this point I only got it in September)

Wants to go for it and go grey, this is 4 appointments ago... Around September

I pick out darkest bits (not many there) apply bleach (blondor with olaplex & 6%) then scalp bleach then run through all over at basin to brighten everything up. Toned with 9SE & olaplex (framesi semi toner) with the extra developer (correct one for the brand) looked fab nice & even, good elasticity & overall condition...

For the last 3 appointments she returned I did a scalp bleach blondor 6% & olaplex then toned with framesi again, it fades back to white by the time she returns as I would expect.

It's been 8 weeks since her last appointment and I get messages saying her hairs snapping off to the point that she looks rediculous. I asked her to come to the salon so I could see for myself, it really is snapped all over, the length on the back has gone & the sides are barley there, her ponytail is thin as hell.

We go through her aftercare, she's been using goldwell 6 effects after shampooing & using goldwell sleek perfection (heat protect) before straightening. When I asked about shampoo she said she's been using John frieda sheer blonde shampoo.

I was under the impression that sheer blonde has a lightening element to it so I told her to stop using I straight away, I think it's lightened her already white hair and caused it to break off.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this! Ive gone through every ingredient in that shampoo & asked sciencey people on Facebook but they diddnt give me an overall YES that's the problem. There were lots of opinions but not enough facts for me.

I can't help feel a bit like its my fault she's snapping even though it's been 8 weeks since I last touched it & ive only lightened the scalp for the last 3 appointments, she's a close friend too so it's even more upsetting when she's texting me constantly about it.

I suggested she get her thyroid checked because my cousins hair went like this and she had a thyroid issue but it came back clear.

I'm taking her back to highlights & going to spatch her natural back through with a semi then she's going to have extensions for a while, I'm doing a standalone for her Wednesday and I'll use olaplex next time I colour it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this whole thing please :)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1460408868.788967.jpg

Is this the stuff?

Definitely that shampoo.. I've only ever heard bad things about it! I also find straightening when you're a scalp bleach is risky.. She may be 'using' the heat protection but is she spraying it on per section, or just 2 or 3 mists over the whole head beforehand? And how often? She may use the heat protect really well but if she's doing it everyday it's still going to massively affect the condition. I genuinely have had more clients that I've had to say no to bleach processes too because of heat damage then I have chemical damage

Definitely that shampoo.. I've only ever heard bad things about it! I also find straightening when you're a scalp bleach is risky.. She may be 'using' the heat protection but is she spraying it on per section, or just 2 or 3 mists over the whole head beforehand? And how often? She may use the heat protect really well but if she's doing it everyday it's still going to massively affect the condition. I genuinely have had more clients that I've had to say no to bleach processes too because of heat damage then I have chemical damage
I did check she was using it propperly, I also checked she's thoroughly working the 6 effects all over the wet hair too, she's adamant she does it like I do, I'm going to show her those reviews suse linked, I feel horrible :(

Do you think after.a standalone her hair will carry the weight of extensions? I'm concerned it's going to put too much stress on it now

Wow, those reviews are shocking, how is this stuff available for over the counter use, let's face it who bothers to read instructions on a shampoo bottle!
Sounds like that's def the problem, get your client to look at the reviews, it def seems like that's a factor in causing the breakage.
I do want to send her a link to the reviews but I think it'll make her even more suicidal! Maybe I'll just show her them next time I see her, won't make good bedtime reading in a text I don't think :(

Thanks for your help guys, I've messaged John frieda now hope to hear soon

I'm going to address something else you've said, that you lifted her to a white and then toned. When you take all the pigment out of the hair you actually make it unstable. Pigment holds onto cortical fibers in the hair, and if you took all of that out and didn't leave some yellow in the hair like the inside of a banana yellow then you broke down some of the cortical fibers in the hair, not good. You should never take hair to white, it's damaged at that point, you take it to the inside of a banana yellow and then tone with a long lasting demi toner for 25 minutes which should last in the hair for 6 weeks if shampooing 2 times a week.
Olaplex saved this hair, it really does what it says it will do, but the pigment is out now.
I would do stand alone treatments with Olaplex and then after rinsing and shampooing I would recommend you use the Redken Extreme line on her, and send her home with it too, it's got both protein (the kind that does build up) and Ceramides which are the intercellular cement that helps to keep the hair together.
Never take hair to white.

I'm going to address something else you've said, that you lifted her to a white and then toned. When you take all the pigment out of the hair you actually make it unstable. Pigment holds onto cortical fibers in the hair, and if you took all of that out and didn't leave some yellow in the hair like the inside of a banana yellow then you broke down some of the cortical fibers in the hair, not good. You should never take hair to white, it's damaged at that point, you take it to the inside of a banana yellow and then tone with a long lasting demi toner for 25 minutes which should last in the hair for 6 weeks if shampooing 2 times a week.
Olaplex saved this hair, it really does what it says it will do, but the pigment is out now.
I would do stand alone treatments with Olaplex and then after rinsing and shampooing I would recommend you use the Redken Extreme line on her, and send her home with it too, it's got both protein (the kind that does build up) and Ceramides which are the intercellular cement that helps to keep the hair together.
Never take hair to white.
Thanks for your input mags, it did have a little yellow, not very much at all tho, the framesi colour only lasts about 6 washes so it's always gone by the time she comes back, lesson learnt :( I guess some peoples hair just can't take it like others can

Ok, this may be a little long winded but it's really playing on my mind, I've asked some chemists for opinions but they haven't said yes this is the problem so I'm going to run it past you guys...

I've been doing this client for years, visits every 6-9 weeks

Client is natural 6 heavily highlighted using 6% for many years but not overlapping just roots each time with occasional semi spatch once or twice a year to break up...

Wants to be blonder each appointment so we start doing weave & slice instead of just weaves, still no overlapping, still 6%...

(No olaplex at this point I only got it in September)

Wants to go for it and go grey, this is 4 appointments ago... Around September

I pick out darkest bits (not many there) apply bleach (blondor with olaplex & 6%) then scalp bleach then run through all over at basin to brighten everything up. Toned with 9SE & olaplex (framesi semi toner) with the extra developer (correct one for the brand) looked fab nice & even, good elasticity & overall condition...

For the last 3 appointments she returned I did a scalp bleach blondor 6% & olaplex then toned with framesi again, it fades back to white by the time she returns as I would expect.

It's been 8 weeks since her last appointment and I get messages saying her hairs snapping off to the point that she looks rediculous. I asked her to come to the salon so I could see for myself, it really is snapped all over, the length on the back has gone & the sides are barley there, her ponytail is thin as hell.

We go through her aftercare, she's been using goldwell 6 effects after shampooing & using goldwell sleek perfection (heat protect) before straightening. When I asked about shampoo she said she's been using John frieda sheer blonde shampoo.

I was under the impression that sheer blonde has a lightening element to it so I told her to stop using I straight away, I think it's lightened her already white hair and caused it to break off.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this! Ive gone through every ingredient in that shampoo & asked sciencey people on Facebook but they diddnt give me an overall YES that's the problem. There were lots of opinions but not enough facts for me.

I can't help feel a bit like its my fault she's snapping even though it's been 8 weeks since I last touched it & ive only lightened the scalp for the last 3 appointments, she's a close friend too so it's even more upsetting when she's texting me constantly about it.

I suggested she get her thyroid checked because my cousins hair went like this and she had a thyroid issue but it came back clear.

I'm taking her back to highlights & going to spatch her natural back through with a semi then she's going to have extensions for a while, I'm doing a standalone for her Wednesday and I'll use olaplex next time I colour it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this whole thing please :)

First up sorry to hear this happened, it sucks especially when it's a close friend.
I think no colouring, she needs to go cold turkey for awhile, only olaplex treatments with no colour, for a few months. If it's been a couple months since colour, maybe only low lights to break up the Regrowth to give the hair a break, good luck keep us posted

Latest posts

Back