Tiered pricing structure - nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haylez250

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just looking for your thoughts on wether a tiered pricing structure is something you've done/something you think is a good idea? I.e. Different prices for say nail tech vs beauty therapist or junior vs senior.

The reason I ask is because I run a beauty only salon and currently employ one nail tech with approx 4 years experience, one all rounder beauty therapist (1 year experience) and myself an all rounder too.(6 years experience but by no means a 'nail expert')

We've been open nearly two years and my second therapist only joined last year fresh out of college so is obviously seen by some regulars as the 'new girl'.

Recently we've become so busy we've installed a second nail desk as previously myself and the other therapist were only doing nails (mostly just shellac and mani/no extensions or art) when the tech was day off/holiday.

Nails are very popular and both myself and the junior have new clients now who are our own regulars plus many of the techs clients who aren't fussed who does their nails.

However as the books been getting busier a few 'fussier' clients have squeezed in with my junior and have come back and complained. The only reason for the complaints is not down to peeling, chipping, lifting etc. but the smile lines 'not being as nice as the techs' or the brush strokes of a shimmer not quite being straight.

I understand that we should all strive for perfect work but realistically my tech is exceptionally neat and good and fast and had they had their nails done by myself or my other therapist or had our level of work at any other salon if bet my life they'd be pleased.

I know I've created a rod for my own back by having such a fab tech but she doesn't have enough hours in her day and like I say the majority of clients are pleased but there's the odd grumbling of 'why should I pay the same'.

So I'm thinking a 'senior tech' price vs a therapist price might be the answer?

Any thoughts? And if so what difference in price would you apply?

I do think it would work really well!

Toni and guy have a similar scheme (as alot of hairdressers)

it will be easy to 'promote' and increase the price of your therapist once she becomes perfect!

Clients will like the idea of being treated by 'a senior staff member' (well my clients love that! they like to think they are getting the best of the best! he he!

the only problem my be at first and getting used to the new pay structure - but that like anything new! ;-)

I had thought of doing this but another business colleague pointed out it shows the others aren't 'as good' as the tech. So instantly they take a more negative view on the treatment. It's a difficult one, I'm in a similar situation so will be watching this thread with interest x

I would say a staggered pricing structure would only work in your favour- keeps your clients happy, and they pay for the privilege of going to your tech (put her prices up, not yours and your therapists down)- few more quid in your pocket!

Also, to get your therapists skills right up there, you could have your tech coach/mentor her? Show her techniques, right down to the last brushstroke. You probably do this already!

Also, as for a rod for your own back- yes it seems annoying that your clients prefer one member of staff over you/another MoS, but actually it takes the heat off you. Every time I come to look for staff, I look/will be looking for people who are better than me- it men's that when my clients can't get in with me (because of holidays/busyness/sickness etc), I'm confident they can get in with someone just as good if not better!

It's good to hear you're so busy :)

Im in the exact same boat... have a part time tech with 12 years experience, and two full time one fresh out of college and the other with a couple of years experience! Seriously considering tiered pricing as I dont think its right asking clients to pay the same for less experienced techs.... its done in hair salons so why not beauty/nails also. (Also no problems with nails just not as 'perfect') itll be six months down the line though as we are not open that long and dont want to change prices so soon. So thats a factor to consider... also im thinking of clients reaction to their nail tech suddenly becoming more expensive than others?! Its a hard one to call.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks guys. Great feedback/advice. I definitely think this is the way I will go in the next couple of months. Haven't really increased prices since we opened so shouldn't be too much of a shocker to the clients and will keep mine/other therapists price the same so will keep 'non fussy' clients happy :)

Just bumping this. Any more opinions?

I employ my daughter and started her off being cheaper than me. I have 12 years on her. We found that most clients haven't really got a clue what either of us charge and many weren't aware she was cheaper. Those who did like cheaper treatments were also fine when we put her prices up to match mine. We do a lot of gift vouchers and were doing only value rather than treatments - ie for £20 rather than a facial as she was cheaper. We found it a pain in the neck x

Latest posts

Back