Time off for maternity?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tantasic

Reaction score
hi, this question may have been asked before but i dont seem to be very successful with the search button...

i am currently 27 weeks pregnant and am mobile. my fiance has told me i need to cut down so i have stopped taking on new clients.. i am only doing my regular eyelash extension clients at the moment, however i am worried about maternity leave and how long to take i have a few questions if you dont mind helping me as i am getting myself in a bit of a TIZZ about it all :rolleyes:

1) how long before giving birth did you stop?
2) how long did you take afterwards and did you go straight back into it or ease in?
3) did you lose any/many clients as i am really worried about losing everyone.

thank you in advance x

hi, this question may have been asked before but i dont seem to be very successful with the search button...

i am currently 27 weeks pregnant and am mobile. my fiance has told me i need to cut down so i have stopped taking on new clients.. i am only doing my regular eyelash extension clients at the moment, however i am worried about maternity leave and how long to take i have a few questions if you dont mind helping me as i am getting myself in a bit of a TIZZ about it all :rolleyes:

1) how long before giving birth did you stop?
2) how long did you take afterwards and did you go straight back into it or ease in?
3) did you lose any/many clients as i am really worried about losing everyone.

thank you in advance x

1) I went into labour while finishing a clients' rebalance lol, I was almost done so just finished as normal haha.
2) I had 3 weeks off and then straight back in (I had home salon back then so worked around sleep/feeds really)
3) lost one client in total - she simply couldn't believe I had taken time off and took her custom elsewhere. Fine by me :) your regular ladies will stay x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

With my last pregnancy I worked until I was about 8 months, I found carrying my equipment really hard. When I had the baby I went back to work 3 weeks after and gained quite a few new clients as it was nearly Xmas.
I'm pregnant again and hope to work as long as possiable, I'm also worried this time around as I have a nice client base and already some of them are saying where they will go when I'm not working, so again I will probably only take a few weeks off. Around six months I will stop doing massage and facials so I won't have to carry my couch x

I'm so glad I've come across this post. I am currently 5 and a half months pregnant and already in pain with SPD. I got it with my second child too so I think it's due to lifting and carrying my equipment. ( I have a suitcase that I take my spray tan machine and all my bottles of solution in) my other half says its heavy so he tries to take me to as many appointments as he can but obviously there are ones I need to do in the houses he is not available. My house is too small to have an area to be based at home until the baby arrives but I also can't expect my clients to wait for months for me to return to work. In my last pregnancy I wasn't working for myself so this will be my 1st experience of that too. Thanks. Congratulations and good luck with everything to the other ladies. X

I'm going back to work next week after having 8weeks off.

I had "officially" stopped working 2weeks before my due date but popped in and out of the salon to do the odd treatment with a week to go doing my last half leg wax whilst having contractions!

Wee bubba came 5 days early
Xxx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek

Everyone is different and every baby is different so can only offer my perspective. I had month off before I had my baby and took 10 months off afterwards. BUT I was PAYE so I didnt have the pressure of losing my client base and I had statutory maternity pay so I didnt have the worries that you did which would have made all of this different!

The only reason I am posting is because personally I couldnt have gone back to work after a few weeks- I was in hospital for a week and I had a emergency c section, I wasnt really poorly or anything but the first two weeks I didnt even get out the house it was crazy, baby didnt sleep brilliantly so I was up 3 or 4 times a night and I wanted to breastfeed which meant being there when he was hungry. The first 3 months were brilliant but just crazy! I couldnt have gone back at all, maybe after 3 or 4 months I could have gone part time, but I was so tired and he didnt sleep through til 7 months which isnt that unusual. I guess I was unlucky lol but he wasnt a 'bad' baby or anything.

Looking back it seems to have gone so fast and I wish I could have the time back! I have just miscarried at 9 weeks and by the time I have another baby I will be wholey self employed and not able to take 10 months off like I did before. I hope that I will be good enough that I will be able to get my clients back and/or win more but I want to make sure I enjoy my baby being tiny because the time just goes, and I obviously found the beginning harder than most and I hope that I will be able to go back more quickly and cope a bit better. I am unfortunate that I dont have any family here at all so childcare and support is a bit of an issue.

I dont have any answers or advice but just wanted to offer my perspective. As a self employed person I will get maternity allowance and it will be tough but I couldnt imagine doing it again with less than 3 months off. When I was pregnant recently my mum said you can make more money and get more clients when I said I was worried about when I would be able to do my clients but you cant have time back which is true....although that doesnt pay the bills !!!

Everyone is different, and it doesnt make anyone any better/worse mothers you have to do whats right for you and your baby and family, but try and keep an open mind in case you want to go back sooner/later once baby is here xx

oh and congratulations and good luck!

Latest posts

Back