Tinalita's post about how many clients / timings...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Biscuit

Reaction score
That post has depressed me! :cry:

Everyone is so fast!

I have been "doing nails" on a mobile basis for 16 months now, my first set took about 4.5 hours and even now it STILL takes me 3 - 3.5 hours!

I work full time, in a stressful job and have other commitments outside of work, so I only do a set or two of nails say once a fortnight, which I know isn't very often, but I just cannot do nails in the week evenings as I am so tired after my day job, then at weekends I am completely knackered, and if I get more than two sets to do then my weekend's gone and I don't feel like I have had a day off.. Yet I know the key to getting my time down is to do nails more often!

I did a sculpting class with Ann Swain last November and she suggested that I get a Saturday job at a salon that uses Creative as she thinks that will get my speed up. Sounds like a great idea.

But would a Salon seriously take on someone who takes 3.5 hours, who prob has bad habits from working alone?

Anybody been in the same boat as me?

How can I get faster without compromising anything?

I use Creative Perfect Powders and Rentention +, lately I have been sculpting (SInce my class.) but am fine with tip and overlay.

Advice appreciated geeklins.

xxxxx

Miss_Biscuit said:
But would a Salon seriously take on someone who takes 3.5 hours, who prob has bad habits from working alone?

Anybody been in the same boat as me?

How can I get faster without compromising anything?

As said many times, speed comes with practice and working under a certain amount of pressure.

There is no substitute for experience and you can't rush experience. The way you are doing nails at the moment is not putting you under any pressure and is not enough as every set feels like 'the first time' probably.

Everyone has been in the same boat as you!! All of us.

You can only go and ask at salons if they are happy to take you on as you are new to nails and your timing is slow. I would have taken on someone like you in my salon, I'm sure others will be willing to do the same. What makes salon owners reluctant to take part-timers, or those seeking experience, in to the salon, is that those ones often use the salon to get the needed experience and then feel they can walk off with the clients the SALON has provided them. It happens on such a regular basis, that salon owners are wary. Maybe you could reassure them on this point when you talk to them.

geeg said:
There is no substitute for experience and you can't rush experience. The way you are doing nails at the moment is not putting you under any pressure and is not enough as every set feels like 'the first time' probably.

Hit the nail on the head there!! Every set does feel like a first set... I am never 100% happy with the end result, I end up constantly apologising for taking so long (Yet they pay "introductory" rates becasue of that.) and I do always feel like I am never going to get better.

Good point about why Salon's will be wary, thanks for that. I wouldn't want to steal clients from anyone, I want to be a compentent Nail Tech one day and see a Salon as a good foot in the door and learning curve.

What would happen in a Salon situation for someone like me? Would they say do a model rates like at the hairdressers with someone watching or to call on??

Thanks for your answer Geeg!

Miss_Biscuit said:
Hit the nail on the head there!! Every set does feel like a first set... I am never 100% happy with the end result, I end up constantly apologising for taking so long (Yet they pay "introductory" rates becasue of that.) and I do always feel like I am never going to get better.

Good point about why Salon's will be wary, thanks for that. I wouldn't want to steal clients from anyone, I want to be a competent Nail Tech one day and see a Salon as a good foot in the door and learning curve.

What would happen in a Salon situation for someone like me? Would they say do a model rates like at the hairdressers with someone watching or to call on??

Thanks for your answer Geeg!

In our salon, the 'trainee' did all repairs (great experience as you can just concentrate on doing one nail perfectly for the client) .. all discounted full sets for those that wanted to pay less ... polished clients nails if the nail technician was running late for her next client, or removed clients' polish for the technician to help her along if time was tight. The trainee prepared soak offs and generally helped and when applicable worked side by side with me. all nails were checked by me before the client left so that the tech got instant feedback on her work.

geeg said:
In our salon, the 'trainee' did all repairs (great experience as you can just concentrate on doing one nail perfectly for the client) .. all discounted full sets for those that wanted to pay less ... polished clients nails if the nail technician was running late for her next client, or removed clients' polish for the technician to help her along if time was tight. The trainee prepared soak offs and generally helped and when applicable worked side by side with me. all nails were checked by me before the client left so that the tech got instant feedback on her work.

Excellent. Thanks Geeg, I think that'll have to be a New Years Res' then. Get cracking on the phone and try to sell myself.

Would be mortified if they thought I was too crap to take on at all though!

Latest posts

Back