Tip application-why is it doing this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Jess

Reaction score
Hi geeks. This is my first case study ( so my first ever full set) looking at the pic you can see in between the natural nail and the tip :( why??? Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong pls... Thanks in advance xx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1392731998794.jpg
    1392731998794.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 947
The tip isnt being applied flush with the natural nail. Do you just apply your tip flat onto the nail or do you hold it at an angle first?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

The tip isnt being applied flush with the natural nail. Do you just apply your tip flat onto the nail or do you hold it at an angle first?

I think just to the tip.....so I need to apply them at an angle then...(damn all these things we gotta remember lol) xxx thanks so much xxxx

I cant really explain it in writing but if you hold the tip up then slide it slowly against the free edge until you hear a click where the free edge fits in snug to the nail well then press it onto the nail. Does this make sense? Maybe you tube it to see if it shows you. I thought everyone was taught this for applying tips :s

I cant really explain it in writing but if you hold the tip up then slide it slowly against the free edge until you hear a click where the free edge fits in snug to the nail well then press it onto the nail. Does this make sense? Maybe you tube it to see if it shows you. I thought everyone was taught this for applying tips :s

Thanks precious..... it was mentioned in the course, it's just that you get taught so much that it's all a lot to take in :) thanks.again x

Hello, try using a shallow well tip... apply tip at an angle and you rock it on like the motion of a rocking horse...but do not lift all the way back make sure that your tip fits sidewall to sidewall....it takes lots of practice..try looking on CND to find a tutorial and they have the shallow well tips!;)

Tip should be applied on an angle of 45 degree (like when you,re opening a soda can), and following the well of the tip with the free edge of the natural nail and fit it.

A few months ago even following that rule i did had problems with a client, her natural nails where very curve pointing down, and I bought a cheap white tip and they were completely flat shaped :eek: :eek: and no matter how hard i push my client free edge to the tip, they never fit (tip flat, her nails curve) and they were looking exactly like your pic, so I had to cut all her free edge to make it fit. But, this was just a bad experience, 98% of tip are curve like natural nails, and the 45 degree thing does work.

Do you guys not cut the free edge all the way down when applying tips? Do you leave it at whatever length it is and apply the tip on top of that? Here the free edge is ALWAYS cut off. Which really sucks.

Ex. So if I have some length on my nails and go in for gels and would like a little MORE length. The tech will CUT OFF ALL MY NAILS, and attach tips to the desired length and then get me to regrow them out with the protection of hard gels.

I have lovely nails so have always HATED this. I never understood why they couldnt just add a tip to whatever length i already had. Every salon I have ever been to has done this. So I always thought this was standard practice.

How is it done in England?

MrsHarryWinston I don,t know in England how they do it. I know what you mean,
in training they told me that free edge should be cut down to the same size as the well
of the tip (so you can match it) and because it was not natural or cute to see the person
natural nail below the tip, so everybody will know that are fake nails, and that leaving the free edge there is leaving a possibility to an empty space to trap water there.

In my case I explain all this to the client, but if the client still wants her free edge without any cut, i leave it there and put some extra glue on the free edge before puting the tip, or i just put a very thin layer of acrylic on the downside of the nail to cover the free edge and avoid leaving empty space that can trap humidity or water.

Last edited:
Do you guys not cut the free edge all the way down when applying tips? Do you leave it at whatever length it is and apply the tip on top of that? Here the free edge is ALWAYS cut off. Which really sucks.

Ex. So if I have some length on my nails and go in for gels and would like a little MORE length. The tech will CUT OFF ALL MY NAILS, and attach tips to the desired length and then get me to regrow them out with the protection of hard gels.

I have lovely nails so have always HATED this. I never understood why they couldnt just add a tip to whatever length i already had. Every salon I have ever been to has done this. So I always thought this was standard practice.

How is it done in England?

If you wanted to keep the length you already had, it would be best just to get an overlay so no tips are applied, and the product is applied over your natural nails.

If you wanted to keep the length you already had, it would be best just to get an overlay so no tips are applied, and the product is applied over your natural nails.

I know what an overlay is, as my nails grew out I preferred to have hard gel overlays. I'm just sharing my experience from when I was younger and first started having my nails done, to what I see in my city now. How when you want extra length almost NO ONE in my city seems to know how to sculpt extensions. I believe only 1 salon has it as an option. If you have free edge and would like more length they cut off everything you have and apply a tip, so all your growth work is lost. No other option.
It just sounded from previous posts that you guys use the option to leave the free edge alone, but I may have read it wrong.
Here, if you want MORE length, you can't just get a bit extra sculpted onto what you have already got. That's one of the reasons I'm so excited to start training in sculpting. To be able to offer some sort of middle ground option.

Are you sure your sizing them correctly

I leave the free edge alone if the client choose to, i give the option and explain to client that if she decide to leave the free edge there, it is going to be visible below the tip, some clients do care, others don,t and still want to keep their free edge.

Sometimes i offer sculpted to these clients instead of tip, but since sculpted is more expensive they sometimes refuse and prefer to paid for the tip. Here in my country, not all beauty salon offer sculpted, most offer only tip.

In training they told me, that free edge should be cut and file into shape to the well of the tip, the reasons were that free edge is visible below the tip and that leaving the free edge there could trap water and humidity increasing the risk for infections. That,s why i put some extra glue or a thin layer of acrylic to cover this and avoid future problems.

They look slightly too big for the nail to me. When applying you may have air pockets underneath where the glue isn't adhering to the nail.

On the note of the free edge situation If a natural tip is used instead of a white tip there should be no need to remove the free edge really as you can then sculpt over the natural tip and create an illusion.

They look slightly too big for the nail to me. When applying you may have air pockets underneath where the glue isn't adhering to the nail.

On the note of the free edge situation If a natural tip is used instead of a white tip there should be no need to remove the free edge really as you can then sculpt over the natural tip and create an illusion.

Thank you! This is one of the reasons I found it so confusing. Because they cut off all your free edge, apply a tip, then put OPAQUE WHITE GEL over the tip! So you wouldn't have been able to see the free edge anyway! *facepalm*

When I told a casual friend that I was thinking of going to school to do nails the very first thing she said to me was "Don't go to school in our city!! They teach you everything wrong, when I finished I had to relearn so much. It's a complete waste of thousands of dollars."
I'm so glad she told me. That's why I researched a reputable distance learning course and spend so much time on the Geek and YouTube!

Latest posts

Back