Tips on setting up a tanning room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Channy89

Reaction score
I'm a newbie and in the process of setting up a room at home for tanning.

Just wondering if anyone has any good tips for setting up the room. I can use either of 2 rooms, our study, which is at the front of the house, but is open and has no doors, or one of the bedrooms which is at the back of the house but obviously has doors for privacy.

For those of you that tan from home, do you feel weird having strangers walk through your house? And if I were to use the study with no doors for privacy, is there anything you could recommend to give the room a little more privacy, without putting in doors.

Any tips on setting up the room would be great!

xx

How about getting some of those Screens ( like the ones you see in japanese films) They can be easily made if you are a bit of a DIYer Make up a fram from wood, put some hinges on and then choose a decent fabric that is thick enough to not see through, staple it on to the frame and run a bit of a fany trim over the stapled edge. You can then unfold the screen when you have clients in and fold it back up when the room is empty.Clients defenitely want the privacy and a door would be best. You could also hang a nice thick cutrain over the doorway which can be pulle or tied back when not needed. If you use a curtain, make sure the curtain track is wide enoough for you to pull the curtain right back past the doorway leaving the entrance wide enough without curtains getting in the way. You could have a Roman blind made up but it would need to be hung fairly high so when it is pulled up it leaves enough headroom to get through the doorway, venetian blinds as well. There are a lot of options but I think the Chinese/Japenese screen is nice and you can move it if you want to just screen off the tanning area, leaving the doorway clear

I wouldn't like people traipsing through my house so the front room would be easier, where is your cloakroom though?. Is it near the front room or the back rooms? Clients might want to use the loo and will still need to walk through your house, so keeping the treatment area close to the loo and washing facilities would make more sense.

What is a cloakroom? I don't think we have them here in Australia? hehe

I like the idea of the Japanese Screens, but neither myself or my hubby are DIY'ers! We're terrible! I will have a look to see if I can buy one cheap somewhere here.

How do you control overspray from going on walls and flooring, the bedroom has brand new cream carpet :(

If you are using your study, ust be a bit careful with overspray as it can go everywhere. I have a room I use at home and when I first started I had my treatment couch set up in the same room and although My spraytan tent has a cover on top, the tan solution still ended up on my couch even though it was the other side of the room.

You can also get a thing called tracking from Ikea, it is like a curtain rail you attach to the ceiling and then you can han floor to ceiling curtains, which is very effective and quite cheap. Then you can just pull the curtain across the opening of your study for privacy and it will also prevent any spray leaving the room.

HTH, Good luck.

Nateice xx

What is a cloakroom? I don't think we have them here in Australia? hehe

I like the idea of the Japanese Screens, but neither myself or my hubby are DIY'ers! We're terrible! I will have a look to see if I can buy one cheap somewhere here.

How do you control overspray from going on walls and flooring, the bedroom has brand new cream carpet :(
In the UK we call the downstairs toilet a cloakroom, ususally really tiny with just a loo and a hand wash basin in. If you are in a bungalow(single story house) you might have a family bathroom with bath/shower, toilet and basin, then a little room with just the loo and wash basin. Hope this makes sense.

I would agree with the overspray issues and I am sure you can find this over there, usually the larger DIY stores would have it, I am not sure wha it would be called over there but it would be a thin sheet of melamine, usually used for wet rooms and showers if you dont want to tile. You and hubby can then stick these to the walls in a corner, maybe some Lino or washable floor covering for that little designated area over the carpet and of course a full length curtain across the front. There is a thread one here that has some lovely ideas
http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/135477-your-set-ups-ill-show-you-mine-if-you-show-me-yours.html

you might get some inspiration from them, good luck and post some pics when it is done

Latest posts

Back