To buff or not to buff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blush2016

Reaction score
Hi,

I know a lot of you on here are CND shellac trained and so I'm aware that most of you wont buff the natural nail before applying base coat however, I recently attended an OPI gel-color course in which their process includes buffing the material nail to remove the shine.

I guess what I'm wondering is whet the long term implications of doing this is and why their process includes this step?

I follow all of the steps correctly and yet I'm still getting lifting and peeling. (I refer back to the manual on a regular basis but I'm just not getting the results I had hoped for.

Any tips/help would be great :)

Which shellac top coat and lamp are you using? Only asking because I have never had any problems with shellac (been using it for 3 years) until I started using the LED lamp and the Express 5 top coat. Now I get peeling and chipping on the free edge within a couple of days. Very disappointing.

Always make sure the nail plate is dry after using scrub fresh too and any cuticle product is removed thoroughly if the peeling is from the cuticle area upwards then this could be the problem.

When you say you are not getting the results you expect...how long are they lasting?

Hi,

I use express 5 top coat, and have the CND LED lamp. Though all of my polishes seem to have gone very thick, making it difficult to apply?I'm finding clients nails are chipping sometimes in just a few days, even with correct aftercare. I really just want to get it right and ensure that I'm giving my clients the best possible service. I would expect them to last at least a week without chipping/peeling.

Finding it quite embarrassing at the moment :(

Thanks

well tbh it could be any of those 3 things!! lol! How are you storing your colours or are they just at the end of their life? Really pay attention to your finger placement under the lamp and cap all coats on the free edge well. I've been using two coats of the xpress 5 instead of one - takes longer to remove but worth a try until I can afford to order the original top coat and will go back to using that. I share your pain. I too would expect them to last at least a week and more often than not two weeks however I can't even get them to do 3 days on my own nails...flippin vinylux lasts longer!! lol! Never had these issues with the CND UV lamp and original top coat :( I currently feel cheated for investing...wish I'd have moved brands to Ink London...we live and learn

If your colours have gone thick then you need to check your bottles are clean and dry around the neck. This is most likely the cause of any issues you are having. Despite a few techs saying they can't seem to get the same wear from the new lamp and top coat, remember many many thousands more are using both with no issues whatsoever. I've been using both for a year now and my clients and myself are still getting the full 2-3 weeks wear with no chipping.

Agree with Pure's comment above.
Those having problems are a minority when you consider the vast number of clients having shellac across the country .
This forum is to help identify where the individual issues are rather than condemn the system.

@pure sorry to butt in here. Any advice on how to clean the bottle necks? I'm using a different brand (Ink) and they advised me to stir and shake really well. Since I did that it got right up in the cap and just keeps getting on the neck of the bottle no matter what I do. If I wipe the neck it'll just come back once I do the lid up because it's all in the darn threads. I'm worried if I use a cotton bud in the cap that I'll put fibres in it. Any tips? X

Hi,

I use express 5 top coat, and have the CND LED lamp. Though all of my polishes seem to have gone very thick, making it difficult to apply?I'm finding clients nails are chipping sometimes in just a few days, even with correct aftercare. I really just want to get it right and ensure that I'm giving my clients the best possible service. I would expect them to last at least a week without chipping/peeling.

Finding it quite embarrassing at the moment :(

Thanks
If your colours have gone thick then you need to check your bottles are clean and dry around the neck. This is most likely the cause of any issues you are having. Despite a few techs saying they can't seem to get the same wear from the new lamp and top coat, remember many many thousands more are using both with no issues whatsoever. I've been using both for a year now and my clients and myself are still getting the full 2-3 weeks wear with no chipping.
hi, when you say clean and dry around the neck, do you wipe them after use? Thanks

I always wipe any excess from the neck of the bottle after each use with a pad soaked with IPA. You can do the sMe for the inside of the lid with a lint free wipe. As long as the bottle is done up tightly and securely then it shouldn't be possible for the polish to 'leak' into that space.

I always wipe any excess from the neck of the bottle after each use with a pad soaked with IPA. You can do the sMe for the inside of the lid with a lint free wipe. As long as the bottle is done up tightly and securely then it shouldn't be possible for the polish to 'leak' into that space.
Thank you @pure i will give that a go and see if it helps. I'm really keen to ensure I can give my clients the longevity of the treatment and stay confident in what I'm doing. Thanks again.

Thank you. For some really annoying reason both my gelicure and my ilac bottles do not shut tightly! It drives me nuts!! That'll be the reason then. x

Latest posts

Back