To Dermalogica or not to Dermalogica?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helenmaca

Reaction score
I have booked a meeting with a rep from Dermalogica in January.

I have my own salon, work on my own, upstairs above a busy hair salon. At present I hardly do any facials. I'm interested in skin care and have been interested in Dermalogica for a while, but the expense of the brand and confidence in expanding the facial side of the salon is making me nervous!

Anyone use Dermalogica in their salon and what's your experience of it?

Thanks

Dermalogica doesn't get too good reviews on here.

I am in the same situation as you. I hardly do any facials, if like a brand people know.

I have spoke with the dermalogica rep and she was wonderful and very helpful.

Jemima :)

I have used Dermalogica in my salon for 5 years now and have never once regretted it, I love everything about the brand, I find it walks of my shelves, people come to me for facials because I use dermalogica. I like the fact there training is all free you can refresh your training as much as you want, for insists in January I am redoing the first lot of training you have to do, so the basic products as I think it is good to refresh your knowledge. The reps are lovely and so are all the trainers. On an average week I do 10-12 facials. If you have any more questions just PM me.
Kirsty

"We put the treat in your treatment"

Dermalogica doesn't get too good reviews on here.

I am in the same situation as you. I hardly do any facials, if like a brand people know.

I have spoke with the dermalogica rep and she was wonderful and very helpful.

I was surprised to read this - I have read a lot of peoples very positive comments re Dermalogica on here. The downside is the availability from shops, websites etc and to me, having been in the industry for many years, what made me so mad was the way they advertised as a professional only brand, saying they would never sell their therapists out, and then you can get it in Debenhams - even in the mall in Milton Keynes - there is actually a couch etc to lie on and have a Dermalogica consultation.

There are a lot of fors and a lot of againsts, but to me, the fact that they did sell their therapists out left a very bad taste in my mouth. Not for me!

Love love love it!!

The training itself is worth thousands!

Yes you can buy it on EBay (not advised - just look at Shellac etc) and yes they have half a dozen concept spaces throughout the UK.

Don't let that put you off though. The products are fantastic, the support is incredible and I have increased my turnover massively since taking it on.

Plus, my own skin is looking tote amaze balls!

Do it. Seriously.

I was surprised to read this - I have read a lot of peoples very positive comments re Dermalogica on here. The downside is the availability from shops, websites etc and to me, having been in the industry for many years, what made me so mad was the way they advertised as a professional only brand, saying they would never sell their therapists out, and then you can get it in Debenhams - even in the mall in Milton Keynes - there is actually a couch etc to lie on and have a Dermalogica consultation.

There are a lot of fors and a lot of againsts, but to me, the fact that they did sell their therapists out left a very bad taste in my mouth. Not for me!

How have they sold out? You can't walk into Boots and pick it up off the shelves. You said yourself there is a couch to have a consultation before buying products. Also, they have changed their pricing system so that the small salons and therapists are paying the least and the big Internet accounts are paying the most. This has brought the price up allowing us little guys to compete price wise.

Thanks for your insight! I will see what the rep has to say in January and go from there. I've always really rated their products on the whole anyway.

Xx

Lots of brands are in department stores and as a professional I feel that this increases their credibility as well as it would mine for using it...dermalogica, decleor, clarins, elemis, espa...it also creates more employment opportunities for people who want to be employed in the industry and experience working for a high end brand.

They have sold out their therapists as they are no longer exclusive to salons, as they had always implied they would be! If you are aware of that and happy about it, then go for it.

The ready availability of it can make it more accessible to the public and raise awareness, but it also encourages showrooming and price wars which a smaller salon can find it hard to compete with.

They have sold out their therapists as they are no longer exclusive to salons, as they had always implied they would be! If you are aware of that and happy about it, then go for it.

The ready availability of it can make it more accessible to the public and raise awareness, but it also encourages showrooming and price wars which a smaller salon can find it hard to compete with.

I agree with you. We are using it at college where I am studying for my Beauty Level 2.

Dermalogica facial for £13 anyone??

It all depends in the individual salons plan, what their values are, what their goals are. And their clients. No one decision will fit all.

Clients may buy from you because they trust you, yes they may get it online cheaper, but can they guarantee authenticity?

I want to go from doing maybe 1 facial a week to 2 a day. I want to find a brand that brings clients to me aswell as my efforts to bring in clients.

I'm not sure what that brand is yet, but I am liking Dermalogica so far.

Opinions in a forum should only form part of your decision making process, then various other research needs to be done.

It all depends in the individual salons plan, what their values are, what their goals are. And their clients. No one decision will fit all.

Clients may buy from you because they trust you, yes they may get it online cheaper, but can they guarantee authenticity?

I want to go from doing maybe 1 facial a week to 2 a day. I want to find a brand that brings clients to me aswell as my efforts to bring in clients.

I'm not sure what that brand is yet, but I am liking Dermalogica so far.

Opinions in a forum should only form part of your decision making process, then various other research needs to be done.

Totally agree - and make sure that whatever range you go with, that you personally love the products, you're not using them because people on here say they're great and have increased their turnover. That doesn't happen by simply getting a range in, you have to be able to promote it, talk about it with confidence and be able to explain to clients why you chose this range over the hundreds that are out there!

Totally agree - and make sure that whatever range you go with, that you personally love the products, you're not using them because people on here say they're great and have increased their turnover. That doesn't happen by simply getting a range in, you have to be able to promote it, talk about it with confidence and be able to explain to clients why you chose this range over the hundreds that are out there!

100% correct!! You most definitely have to go with a brand where the education is absolutely second to none and not just a sales rep pointing out that you use this cleanser for oily skin, this moisturiser for dry skin etc. Get involved with the science and your clients will respect your opinion so much more.

You also need to work out what's important to you and your clients. Do you want to offering 'relaxing' treatments where the products smell nice and their skin 'feels' good after an hour (even stuff you buy at the pound shop could offer this!) Or is budget your main concern and you need to choose a brand on its minimum opening order amount (there seem to be a lot of people who go for this option, which I find shortsighted) or do you want something that gets results and offers home care options to really see an improvement (you wouldn't not clean your teeth between dentists visits would you?).

It's a minefield. See loads of reps, try loads of treatments at other salons and work out the absolute maximum you can afford to spend then add some more (even if you have to wait longer to get the new brand in)! It's an investment in your business so don't scrimp on the products and education!

Is there a minimum order with Dermalogica?
Do they do in house training ?
Tried looking on website but can't see anything xx

Not read all of the replies but ... I'm a one man band and went ahead with Dermalogica over a year a good and never looked back! Don't get me started on customer serivce :mad: but great marketing and education!!

Last edited:
I chose Dermalogica & haven't looked back? The product the training & the customer service is second to non! My skin is the best it has ever been & that's what sells it?
It's truly worth every single penny spent & as for the websites I'm sure selling to the uk is not as easy as we think it is but good their prices have gone up x

Glad I seen this. I dont have any demand for facials from clients and I was wondering whether going for dermalogica would increase my clients of course I would work hard along side to push it. Brand name is very important to people afterall.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Always worth looking at SpaFind, they are a mineral skin care company. Stocked in big 5* hotels like Ragdale and Eden hall x

I have a small home salin & need to buy in a range for facials, I would absolutely looove to have Dermalogica because we use it at college but unfotunately the funds won't allow for it! :(

I wonder if Strictly Proffessional or Kaesco (probably spelt wrong) would be good enough to use for facials?

Latest posts

Back