Toddlers and veg!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter is 3 and still fussy and was a lazy chewer until about 8 mths ago, have you tried cheese sauce? As my daughter isn't keen on tomato based things, other than her love affair with cold!! Baked beans x

Very Australian, cold baked beans! We sell it in sandwich shops as a filling. :biggrin:

If you look at mumsnet, there's tons of threads on there about fussy eaters. Some well into teenage years and beyond!

Starving them rarely works so don't expect miracles if you try that technique.

My little one became very fussy at about 3.5 yrs and it's a struggle. He ate absolutely everything up until then.

I pay for school meals but he doesn't eat much. However, occasionally he will try something on the menu when he sees other kids tucking in. Today he had a few peas with his fish & chips - hurrah!

Baby steps I think and be prepared to be super patient and try not to get stressed. x

I ain't exactly worrying I'm just wanting to get her iron levels up! It's the doctors and my bloody mother who go on and on about veg! And she is slightly addicted to this iron medicine she comes down for breakfast begging for it and apparently she begs nursery for it too!!!

EmmaLou @BonitaBeauty

I ain't exactly worrying I'm just wanting to get her iron levels up! It's the doctors and my bloody mother who go on and on about veg! And she is slightly addicted to this iron medicine she comes down for breakfast begging for it and apparently she begs nursery for a.

I ain't exactly worrying I'm just wanting to get her iron levels up! It's the doctors and my bloody mother who go on and on about veg! And she is slightly addicted to this iron medicine she comes down for breakfast begging for it and apparently she begs nursery for it too!!!

EmmaLou @BonitaBeauty

Tell your mother to mind her own business. Find out what vegetarians are feeding their kids to get their iron levels up. Although its probably the dreaded veg!

Just found this:

To boost the amount of iron in your diet, try these foods:

Red meat
Egg yolks
Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
Turkey or chicken giblets
Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
Liver
Artichokes

How about an omelette? keep up with the raisins. Would she try pâté on a cracker?

Doubt it! She hates eggs lol! Can try pate but not sure how it will go! Tell me about it my mum doesn't stop moaning and blaming me!! Does my nut in! Dinner was a disaster though I think she is feeling off it! She ended up having yogurt, blueberries and a bite of banana! She put the veggy shape on her mouth then spat it out!! Refused to touch anything else just kept pushing her plate away! Today she has eaten toast, a biscuit, two grapes, some chocolate (thanks nan!!), a packet of onion ring things and then what she had for her dinner! She eats better at nursery but I think that's cos she is with all the other kids! But today is a bad day refusing her fruit as well! I'm only guessing she had two grapes as they may have just rolled away as she was throwing them in temper! And I have no raisins in today!

EmmaLou @BonitaBeauty

If you can get her to eat liver pate, thats packed full of iron, maybe a buttered french stick with some liver pate on top.

Chips and gravy but make the gravy with a little liver blended in x

She won't eat gravy! Don't like sauces, not even ketchup etc! She will only have mayo on a ham sub from subway, when I try and recreate it at home she refuses it but I haven't managed to get her to eat sandwiches full stop for a few weeks! And this past week she has been funny about chips! Will only have thin fries not normal chips! Pain in the arse lol! She's picky and flicks from liking one thing to refusing it the next day

EmmaLou @BonitaBeauty

My first son was a nightmare when he was young. He would go through a phase of eating noting but little sausages before he was 2. Then he went through a phase of eating nothing but tomatoes. Then nothing but pizza. He now eats everything in sight.

Just let her dictate what she wants to eat, don't force anything, and pretend you don't care. I know someone who only ate wotsits crisps when he was little and he's a strapping teenager now. Creating issues with food is the last thing you want.

I'm finding this thread really interesting and I must admit I'm very shocked at the responses.

Iv always been quite strict with what my girls eat, they are allowed chocolate and treats in moderation before anyone says they will crave what they are not allowed.

However I honestly believe our bodies need fuel to function, and if children are not eating correctly then their behaviour, sleeping and learning must be effected.

Why would you allow an 18th month old baby dictate what they eat?

I'm sorry but that just sounds madness to me as does babies eating crisps, chocolate, biscuits, chips and chicken nuggets.

So I guess I'm wondering if your baby is not eating a proper meal why are you feeding her unhealthy snacks?

I thought the advice was not to feed liver to children under 3 years? And I don't think it has that much iron in it anyway. I'm sure veg has more.

Could it be that she is liking all the extra attention?

My 5 year old daughter is a fussy eater, I find cooking together makes a big difference if she's involved and I make it fun for her she will eat whatever's on her plate xx

I wish I had mumsnet when my son was little. I got soooo stressed with him, it really didn't help. My second son was a little better, I'm just so glad those days are over. They sort it out themselves in the end, and now they won't have crisps or sweets at all.. it all has to be boring healthy in our house now .. lol.

Being a fussy eater I thought I'd chip in.
When I was a kid I would never eat vegetables and the only fruit I ate was grapes and apples. Meat wise i didn't like anything but sausages, ham and chicken. And for the dread fish, never touched it.

I still to this day hate dried fruit and a lot of vegetables. I can't eat fish because the smell just turns my stomach. Meat on the other hand I love!

My mum would do the exact same thing as you've tried. She always attempted to blend things in or hide it in the mash. I could taste the difference, I still can.
I happily lived on carbs such as rice, pasta and potatoes with baked beans with a little bit of ham.

As a kid we weren't allowed fizzy drinks, sweets, chocolate, cakes or crisps. To this day I'd rather have flat coke than fizzy or just water. I have the biggest chocolate addiction ever but know how to control it and cakes I enjoy but not so bothered on. Sweets and crisps are not all there cracked up to be!

I, from a young age helped or watched my parents/grandparents cook, so would often make my own tea as my mum refused to make two meals.

My mum just left it be. I can't help my taste buds and if I don't like the smell of look of something I'm not going to eat it. I often went hungry as a kid, it did me no harm.

I know live with my partner so buy and cook all the food. And for the first time in all my 21 years, I ate mushrooms. I still hate them but I know I need to experiment and try foods. The only way I eat them is if they are blended to mush, then I can't pick it out and because I can't see it, I'm not bothered by it.

You can't force a child to eat no matter how old they are. All you can do is encourage and support. Put the option to try things on her plate and in her own time she will try it.

I was never given any extra supplements and my diet was shocking.

Still can't beat pasta, baked beans and ham! Nom nom! :)

To the person who said I let my baby have unhealthy food! She has a digestive biscuit in a morning before nursery cos it's too early and she don't want her breakfast! One digestive does not hurt! Secondly the crisps I give her are low salt, fat an additives etc designed for little ones at snack time! And I'm sorry let her dictate, tell you what you come here and try getting her to eat it and see how you get on! And absolutely nothing wrong with chocolate as a treat! She is very active an smarter than most my age! She is very advanced and has no problem learning! I am a very strict parent and spend a lot of time teaching her and playing with her! She just don't like red meat an veg! Sure there is food your kids don't like and your chatting crap of they like absolutely everything! Cos I ate "everything" according to my mother but I know dam well I didn't like something's! At least I don't sit her in Maccys everyday I get off my arse cook her fresh food and try her every day with something that she either hasn't eaten before or has refused in the past! When I listed what she eats I did not say she has that everyday! And seen as she has fruit with every meal think your being a bit judgemental there love!

EmmaLou @BonitaBeauty

My 5 year old daughter is a fussy eater, I find cooking together makes a big difference if she's involved and I make it fun for her she will eat whatever's on her plate xx

Tried that one but may have to wait till she is a bit older as all she wanted to do was chuck it all or try putting raw food in her mouth lol! I have slight OCD with cleaning too so really struggle lol!

EmmaLou @BonitaBeauty

I'm finding this thread really interesting and I must admit I'm very shocked at the responses.
Iv always been quite strict with what my girls eat, they are allowed chocolate and treats in moderation before anyone says they will crave what they are not allowed.
However I honestly believe our bodies need fuel to function, and if children are not eating correctly then their behaviour, sleeping and learning must be effected.
Why would you allow an 18th month old baby dictate what they eat?

MM, it's a bit like telling an Anorexic to stop being silly and just eat some food or a smoker to just quit because they know how bad smoking is.

If only it was that simple. :-/

For anyone else struggling with a fussy eater, please read the thread link below. Hopefully, you will find it supportive, realise you're not alone and that it has **** all to do with your parenting skills.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/behaviour_development/a1353317-The-incredibly-fussy-eaters-thread

HTH. x

My first son was a nightmare when he was young. He would go through a phase of eating noting but little sausages before he was 2. Then he went through a phase of eating nothing but tomatoes. Then nothing but pizza. He now eats everything in sight.

Just let her dictate what she wants to eat, don't force anything, and pretend you don't care. I know someone who only ate wotsits crisps when he was little and he's a strapping teenager now. Creating issues with food is the last thing you want.

Yeh my fella was and still is super fussy but he has 3% body fat, body builder and fit as ought! And she is a skinny Minnie very active, doesn't know how to sit still, always happy unless I'm telling her off if course lol, and highly intelligent! The absolute only thing wrong is her iron levels! I try not to make a big deal out of it! Tonight I'm making homemade pizza, garlic bread, wedges and chicken dippers for us all as we have my partners daughter here too and well she is a nightmare with food! Only eats chicken nuggets and chips as her mum only fed her on Maccys since weaning! But gonna try her with some fresh veg and tomato on pizza see how we get on!

EmmaLou @BonitaBeauty

My daughter is 15 and I've never know anyone like it!
She inspects all her food, cuts ends off chips ect if they look different and basically plays and cuts it moving it around the plate for half an hour then puts it in a pile and says I'm done!!
She is on medication which dose not help as suppresses her appetite but only been on it for two years and she has always been like this.
She is under weight and we have to go to get her weighed every month at the clinic.
Now it sounds like she dose not eat but my god she can scoff a family size chocolate bar and other junk no problem.
I find eating my tea with her to stressful as always ends in an argument.
I also hate people saying she looks thin as I feel like they blame me!
She eats the most bland food too, last night we had a Chinese and she had boiled rice chips and prawn crackers, to say it looked dry is an understatement!
My sister also noticed when she eats she looks like the food is going to make her be sick!
I no this thread is about little kids but to be honest this is like what I'm dealing with xx

Latest posts

Back