Toilet training a toddler

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missgiggles

Reaction score
Has anyone had a toddler (3) who screams n screams on the toilet ( he has a training seat) won't do a thing , gets him self so wound up he is sick , he is also like this with potty!!

Please say there is light at end of tunnel! As anyone got any tips? He's not bothered about stickers , sweets etc.. As a bribe x

I never 'trained' my boys...they basically trained themselves. I was very lucky in that respect.

Is it possible he's not ready to use the toilet?

I've tryed him on both the potty n toilet and get none stop screaming! :(

I've potty trained 3 of my kids, 4th did it herself at a year (nights) and 18mo (days)
I'd say your lil lad isn't ready yet, you will know when he's ready as he will be more aware of what he's doing and when.

Good tips may be of more help to you do lets get a list going :)

Ping pong balls when he is showing ready signs, drop them in the loo and tell him to wee on them, they won't flush and are fab for aim ;)

Both you and partner pee with door open, let him see the people he lives doing it too.

Leave a potty in a space that's available to him whenever and not right in the middle of the room.

Let him run about bottomless, expect accidents (even if you think they are purposely done) and don't tell him off for it, he's learning.

Try not to get cross, force the toilet issue or raise your voice about it, we want this to be a feel good experience that he'll want to do again n again.

Relax.

Massive praise every time he sits voluntarily on the potty/loo without ANY prompting from adults, even bigger praise if he wees.

Any others ladies??

Sorry to say this but he sounds like he's not ready :(. I've had three children and have a childcare degree and worked with children for 10 years and that's a classic sign. But saying that sometimes a couple of weeks rest then start again does the trick. I also let all mine choose their own potty and undies/knickers at the shop, this seems to help. Don't worry hel do it :)

My son was a nightmare. He just wasn't going to do it until it suited him! He was almost 4 when he decided that was him in pants and went from having pull ups to being dry day and night in a matter of days!

My elder daughter was done and dusted at two and half but wasn't dry at night till she was six!

My point? They'll do it when their minds and bodies are ready! Try not to worry! X

Sorry to say this but he sounds like he's not ready :(. I've had three children and have a childcare degree and worked with children for 10 years and that's a classic sign. But saying that sometimes a couple of weeks rest then start again does the trick. I also let all mine choose their own potty and undies/knickers at the shop, this seems to help. Don't worry hel do it :)

I've let him choose his potty etc.. His favourite character , he knows when he has done a anything in his nappy as he will say I have wee weed momma , or poo poo. Also lets me know when he's wet, so frustrating :( x

I've potty trained 3 of my kids, 4th did it herself at a year (nights) and 18mo (days)
I'd say your lil lad isn't ready yet, you will know when he's ready as he will be more aware of what he's doing and when.

Ping pong balls when he is showing ready signs, drop them in the loo and tell him to wee on them, they won't flush and are fab for aim ;)

Both you and partner pee with door open, let him see the people he lives doing it too.

Leave a potty in a space that's available to him whenever and not right in the middle of the room.

Let him run about bottomless, expect accidents (even if you think they are purposely done) and don't tell him off for it, he's learning.

Try not to get cross, force the toilet issue or raise your voice about it, we want this to be a feel good experience that he'll want to do again n again.

Relax.

Massive praise every time he sits voluntarily on the potty/loo without ANY prompting from adults, even bigger praise if he wees.

Any others ladies??

Totally agree with all the above. Search for potty training aids on eBay etc we got stickers and balls to use in the toilet for my son. He'd use the potty no problem but we couldn't get him to use the toilet worked a treat.

Does he go to nursery or playgroup? Could they not help out and maybe take a few of the boys to the toilet together. If he sees his friends doing it he will want to too.

Xx

Totally agree with all the above. Search for potty training aids on eBay etc we got stickers and balls to use in the toilet for my son. He'd use the potty no problem but we couldn't get him to use the toilet worked a treat.

Does he go to nursery or playgroup? Could they not help out and maybe take a few of the boys to the toilet together. If he sees his friends doing it he will want to too.

Xx

Nursery are aware , they are also working along side of me helping him go to potty n toilet. He will sit on toilet n potty for them ( trousers still up) then give him a sticker.. I follow what nursery advise me and he does opposite! Nursery teacher says its usual case.

Relax.

Any others ladies??

Will try the ping pong ball idea! I've also order of eBay a toilet aim sticker to.

you can allso use a wine bottle cork in the loo, boys and full grown yucky men (not all men are yucky) will aim at it ....

AND you get to drinkm the wine so that will help you with the screaming .....

dont make a huge thing of it if he is going to scream say fine and leave him to it .

when you change his bum , tell him eeewww you shuld do that in the toilt like mummy and daddy , or big boy ,
]
have something he likes in a clear jar out of his reach , say you can have this when you use the toilet,

and i know this is a bit embarrassing but maybe start leaving the door open when you go ....

if you have any friends with wittle ones that potty traind take him for a play date so he can see how its done ,

you can allso use a wine bottle cork in the loo, boys and full grown yucky men (not all men are yucky) will aim at it ....

AND you get to drinkm the wine so that will help you with the screaming .....

dont make a huge thing of it if he is going to scream say fine and leave him to it .

when you change his bum , tell him eeewww you shuld do that in the toilt like mummy and daddy , or big boy ,

if you have any friends with wittle ones that potty traind take him for a play date so he can see how its done ,

I don't drink , neither does anyone in family drink so cork idea is out of question lol

Thanks for some of the tips girls will try some of those n see now we get on x

I've tryed him on both the potty n toilet and get none stop screaming! :(

I mis-read this first of all and thought it said "I've tyed him on the potty" lol:eek:

Seriously though, try to stop worrying. It's hard to ignore other mums boasting about their child's achievements and how they were using a knife and fork at 6 months etc etc (yeah and backflips at a year) lol but in a few years time IT WON'T MATTER A JOT (well it doesn't matter know either except flippin people keep ON) in fact mine are teenage now and I can't even remember at what age they did what.

They all manage it in the end, the important thing is not to let it become an issue, not to work your little one up (I'm not suggesting that you are, btw!) and not to let it come between you or spoil your enjoyment of him. They're little for such a short time, just try and appreciate it. xx (hugs)

Last edited:
Maybe he's not ready hun. My friends boy is 3 aswell and he's the same. Just give him the option of using it and take him in when u go one day he will want to copy. Don't scare him!
Pampers website says the average age for proper toilet training is 4!
I'm afraid to admit this on the Internet but I wasn't fully potty trained untill nearly 5! And wet the bed untill 8-9! My mum swears she forced me and scared me off toilets so try not to scare him. Good luck xx

Aw can't really give any advice as my little boy is 15 months so not started potty training yet, but my friend waited until her daughter was 4 and swears because she waited her little girl got the hang of it in a week :)

When my little boy was 7months I took him to the doctors concerned he hadn't rolled over yet :O the doctor laughed and replied "look at him he's happy" I always remember what he said now and that little ones don't run on schedule lol

:D he now rolls over, runs, talks constantly, so he got there in his own time

I never 'trained' my boys...they basically trained themselves. I was very lucky in that respect.

Is it possible he's not ready to use the toilet?

Snap,, my daughter taught herself also a trick I used was to go onto cheap nappies. Pampers etc are so good they well feel dry all the time if they feel wet and uncomfortable they want to be changed more etc them going on big girls toilets

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I hated potty training. It's the most frustrating of all the milestones. My daughter used to leave trails of wee zig zagged round the house where she'd run for the potty. Luckily bribery worked well with her. Who know how my son will be?!

My first daughter was fine no problem at age two , my second daughter was the harder one , I used to get her potty when I was I. The toilet and say shall we go to the tort and she would sit there and try and go , I would keep trying her regularly throughout the day they get there in the end , I'm just glad we have wood flooring in our house lol , it's getting them out of nappies at night I struggle with any tips for that anyone ? Good luck and keep going he will get there in the end Xx

Latest posts

Back