Tools disinfecting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny B

Reaction score
Hy I am new and I don't work in the salon industries. I am just looking for some tips. Does anyone know how to disinfect my own personal nail tools(implements, files,buffers,clippers) , tweezers and eyebrow tools(spoolie brush,eyebrow comb). And what's a good place to store my tools so that they don't catch germs? I've read to avoid air tight bags as they promote germs and that tweezwers should be placed on a soft cloth so that the tips don't dull. If I use something like Barbicide in a plastic tray(I don't want to use jars as i fear that when I place my tweezers and scissors the tips will dull) will it be ok? And how often can I change the disinfecting solution and how many minutes do I keep my tools in it?

You really do not need to disinfect your own personal tools unless you are sharing them with all and sundry and you fear some sort of cross contamination.

As long as you wash and just clean your things regularly they will stay perfectly sanitary ... you have no need to go as far as disinfecting them. :eek:

If you really want to go way over the top and have your things sitting around in fluid in your bathroom, then the instructions for use are on the bottle.

So then something like rubbing a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol will do then.

So then something like rubbing a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol will do then.

That would be more than you would need to do. Just washing in nice clean soap and water is all you need. We remove 99% of germs by cleaning ... unless you are worried about pathogens then there is no need to disinfect with anything stronger than a good wash.

You really do not need to disinfect your own personal tools unless you are sharing them with all and sundry and you fear some sort of cross contamination.

As long as you wash and just clean your things regularly they will stay perfectly sanitary ... you have no need to go as far as disinfecting them. :eek:

If you really want to go way over the top and have your things sitting around in fluid in your bathroom, then the instructions for use are on the bottle.
If I would want to soak them in Barbicide would plastic trays do it or the solution would eat through plastic?

That would depend on what type of plastic your tray is made of.

I was always taught to put tools in a steriliser or solution or barbicide between customers. This is good practice because it helps avoid cross contamination and I think you'll find it's a stipulation on your insurance. Also when a client sees your following health and safety guidelines, it makes them feel more secure. As for plastic and barbicide I'm not sure....
I was always taught also that a cotton pad at the bottom of the barbicide jar can Help the tips not go dull x

I was always taught to put tools in a steriliser or solution or barbicide between customers. This is good practice because it helps avoid cross contamination and I think you'll find it's a stipulation on your insurance. Also when a client sees your following health and safety guidelines, it makes them feel more secure. As for plastic and barbicide I'm not sure....
I was always taught also that a cotton pad at the bottom of the barbicide jar can Help the tips not go dull x

The OP is not a professional and does not work in the industry as stated in the first post. A consumer does not need to disinfect the things they use on them self.

Of course what we do in the salon is completely different. I don't think you read the previous posts ... Bit early in the morning eh!

Ah oops sorry!

That would be more than you would need to do. Just washing in nice clean soap and water is all you need. We remove 99% of germs by cleaning ... unless you are worried about pathogens then there is no need to disinfect with anything stronger than a good wash.
Do I need some sort of special soap for instruments or my regular hands soap will do? And do I wash it by hand or should I use some sort of brush?

Asked answered closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back