Totally demoralised

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeders

Reaction score
I've worked for the same company for 12 years, full time, and I'm doing nails part time. The company introduced a new boss 18 months ago and over that period of time I've gone from being Office Manager to a complete insignificant nothing. I can't describe how I'm feeling. When the old boss was there, I was her second in command, making decisions, problem solving, everything that a manager is expected to do. She put me on a management course and I passed with honours, of which I'm really proud as I soooo worked my ass off to achieve this. I've spent years building relationships throughout our Group, networking and going out of my way to constantly make a difference. I've gained certificates in health and safety which the company also paid for in my extensive training over the years. All in all I was, where I wanted to be and felt all my hard work had paid off. Now the new boss is in and bit by bit he has taken all my managerial tasks away from me and divided them up between the three other staff (one of which is New to the company and has no previous experience!) When I've challenged him, he says I'm still very important to the business, doesn't agree with my interpretation of events and my job is to do the mechanics of the business!!! It's laughable - I used to have 9 staff reporting into me and he's just tossed all my hard work out the window with no mention of a reason. Obviously he doesn't rate what I do or thinks I'm not up for the job, but surely have the decency to tell me. I feel totally worthless. Sorry for the long rant, but I'm fed up with not being able to sleep, worrying about it all.

Who is your next line manager? Speak to them? Do you have appraisals? Can you list your previous tasks and then list whats left now so its in black and white? Then take It to your boss and try and keep.emotion out of it, explain you feel demoralised about the change in your job and less useful how are we going to move forward. Make it structured and useful and positive so that you come across reasonable and practical.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I really feel for you. Can you approach the boss above him ? also adding to facelashbrow's comments, how large is the company ? Just wondering if you wanted to get out of the awkward situation if you can apply for greater posts.

Thanks guys. I've had my appraisal 2 weeks ago where he told me (as an explanation to my points above) that the role of office manager no longer exists!! Well thanks for telling me! He just blags his way out of all my questions like a politician consequently not really answering anything. He's quite high in the Group and we're a massive international company. My fear if I go to his boss, we are talking Director level, is my whole position will be changed (I currently still have my office manager title) and then they'll probably reduce my wages which I can't afford them to do. I've gone from giving the company everything, even going in on a Saturday and Sunday some weeks, to not giving a damn and I hate it. Not sure how much more I can take tbh

Quit. Find another job first and then leave. Believe me, it's not going to get better or back to the way it was, no matter what you do.

I had a similar situation once where two law firms merged. I was head of accounts dept in the original firm but then when they merged with a much bigger firm I was demoted to photocopy girl! They just couldn't find anything for me to do. All that hard work being promoted through the years. I left within the month.

It might be nothing to do with how he rates you or that's your not upto it but simply a case of delegation.

Ive seen this before. New management comes in and roles change.

He is the manager and is employed to do a job.

His perspective seems to be about sharing roles and responsibilities. From a management point of view it makes sense.

Try to think outside the box, see things from his perspective and understand that we are never that comfortable with change.

Good Luck

Also as previously mentioned, things never go back to the way they were so....

Find a new job where all your hard work and excellent experience is treasured.

P x

Thanks guys. I've had my appraisal 2 weeks ago where he told me (as an explanation to my points above) that the role of office manager no longer exists!! Well thanks for telling me! He just blags his way out of all my questions like a politician consequently not really answering anything. He's quite high in the Group and we're a massive international company. My fear if I go to his boss, we are talking Director level, is my whole position will be changed (I currently still have my office manager title) and then they'll probably reduce my wages which I can't afford them to do. I've gone from giving the company everything, even going in on a Saturday and Sunday some weeks, to not giving a damn and I hate it. Not sure how much more I can take tbh

Role of office manager doesn't exist? I would ask him since when did it not exist and why wasn't you informed seen as though that was your role. Have you got a list of your current duties and role within the company from your appraisal? I also would ask for a meeting tell him that if you are not an office manager any more you would like to discuss what your role is ? I think it's very unprofessional to just get rid of your role all together. Definitely complain they can't reduce your wage unless they say you have to take a different role within the office. Don't worry I hope everything works out nothing worse than when you have problems at work ! *hugs*

Latest posts

Back