Totally run down, took too much on?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLB

Reaction score
I know this is my own fault and i did have set days that i was going to do nails but then things have taken off like crazy, and im finding i am not wanting to let people down! Im hoping i dont get told off by any of u geeks and i honestly dont mean to sound like i am complaining too much.

I started training beginning of october in L&P and was just doing nails for friends and families then as november approached more and more people were wanting nails doing then friends of friends and word of mouth, i was charging for material costs and fuel so was fairly cheap.

I work fulltime in an office doing accounts mon-fri 9-5 or alternate weeks at 8-4 and have my acrylic training on monday nights, ive done my manicure training and wanted to make some money back on everything i've paid out for so on the advice of my tutor i do gelish (most of the work at the minute is gelish as the gel polishes are sooooo popular i have the odd people wanting enhancements (wish is was more but you have to give what the clients want) i have my proper gelish training in January.

Anyway since mid November i have been non stop every night as soon as i finish work i do nails mobile for training and practicing but its mainly gelish so im not getting home until 9.30-10pm after leaving the house at 8am or 7.30 depending on my shifts at work (my polishing techniques are coming on a treat and im getting quicker gelish is taking about 50 mins down from 1.5 hours) the only full day im having off work and nails is sundays, i do all day saturday on nails i've worn myself out, i feel like im at breaking point.

I wasnt expecting things to take off the way they have (which im so pleased about) and decided to put my prices up as i have no social life now which i was expecting to an extent anyway and thought it was only right people pay more for my time, i was thinking that maybe some people would be put off as the prices arent as cheap as they were, well it hasnt i have lots of regular clients now and more people are coming wanting them doing, im not in a position to leave or go part time with my office job (as i have debts that need to be paid every month without fail until august 2012) and thinking the reason im so busy with nails is down to time of year maybe?

Im not overly confident with my acrylics and obviously because im mainly doing gelish and the odd enhancement my training is now on a back burner when it should be number 1 priority, i do try to practice when im not working at my job or doing nails (i do my own nails with enhancements but again because i havent got the time i've only got 4 nails on atm lol as thats all i've had time to do up to now!)

I've got myself into a pickle and think i need to take a step back any advice on how i can do this without hurting my rep or disappointing too many people would help significantly, i know i have myself to blame and i dont want to sound like im complaining about the nails going so well cos i am so happy, but i am training still and need to make sure im dedicating time to that, whilst im very happy im also ready to cry. lol

Im thinking come January i will take wednesdays off and alternate tuesday what do u think?

Hiya I used to do the same as you but now I just work in an office 2 days a week so I can do more with nails etc. I think if you put up the price of your treatments your confident in to similar to what everyone else is charging then yes you might get less people but they will be paying you more so it will cancel it out a bit. You really need to make sure you have some time for yourself. You dont want to start hating what could be an ace job. It might slow down in january anyway x

I think you need to sit down and look at your diary and what appointments you have booked in. You then need to decide if you are going to honour them all or if it is impossible to do so, in which case you need to decide which clients you have to cancel or re-arrange.

Being mobile you have to be much stricter with your time.

I give preferance to clients who make their next booking at their last appointment and fit the ad hoc clients around them. But those that just ring up on the off chance get told when I am available. Obviously you will have prefered loyal clients who you don't mind being a bit more flexible about, but you need to set yourself rules.

You train your clients that if they want to be able to pick and choose their appointment times then they have to book before you walk out of the door. The ones that say they will call you and then are unrealistic about when you can fit them in, at their next appointment you smile sweetly and casually say "oh do you want to book in your next appointment now so I can guarantee a time you want rather than have to do a load of reshuffling again" If they say no, fine, you can't make them, but you can um and ah next time they try to book and not feel you have to put yourself out.

Also if you have a look at where your clients live when they ring. I used to do the whole of the rotherham and sheffield but as you know thats a huge area so I started to have a look at where people lived before saying yes straight of because by the time I had drove there it wasn't really worth it sometimes

Hi MissLB.
I am glad it's taken off for you and that you are busy, it's great experience for you. Sorry you are so tired though. Could you possibly ask your clients to come to you that should take some of then weight off you a little.:hug:xx

Latest posts

Back