TPTW - Does the public have any idea how many choices they have in nail services?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I'm from a different world than most of you are. On my planet, so to speak :green: average Joe knows (or can know, if he's interested, because there are always people who will come and say, make me beautiful, I don't care what, how and why you use) as much as the technician/therapist/etc knows.

So my clients that want to know, they know. Because I like to talk about new things. When I introduce something new, or even talk about something that is so great, but not available in our country. And that makes them feel good, they feel that they are special. For example, when I changed my rebalance. Or when I introduced Lori's speed waxing techniques. Leaves them knowing that I care for their both good looking, comfort and well being.

So I don't refer much on magazines and stuff, because all that are available here are... hm... presenting paying advertisements that can say anything from "galactically new breakthroughs" to "life threatening treatments", leaving that average Joe in blissfull ignorance.

But this is me and my planet :green: your market and media space is wider. So please don't go after me saying that not all the press and advertising is wrong, because it's not :green: this is only my little back yard.

So I guess the most of it is on us.

You're right, it is definately our responsibility.

I always like the idea for those who are static in a salon or home salon to have a playing digital photo frame with pictures of the different types of services offered and the transformations.

I know a lot of people showcase their nail art and acrylic glitter styles in this format and maybe showing all of the services available would get the attention of those not savvy but not just looking for art.

I always like the idea for those who are static in a salon or home salon to have a playing digital photo frame with pictures of the different types of services offered and the transformations.

Brilliant idea! :)

Hi everybody. I'm a consumer, and I joined this board specifically to answer this question.

The answer is that the average consumer is likely to be QUITE ignorant about nail services. 3 weeks ago, all I "knew" was that acrylics were ugly, bulky, and fake-looking and that gels looked nice and were better for your nails.

So I got a set of gels. And I was sitting there thinking, "oh, isn't it interesting how that thin liquid and that white powder turns into a clear gel!"

I can hear you laughing all the way over here in New Jersey! :green:

I had figured that a salon in an upscale shopping mall in the downtown area of a major city would be reputable. Apparently not. There were plenty of things that I now know were wrong with the service I received, especially the way the so-called tech absolutely savaged my nail plates wth a coarse electric drill. I wasn't even savvy enough to choose a salon correctly.

Incidentally, I found this board when trying to find out what I needed to do to maintain my not-gels. The tech didn't discuss that with me.

Maybe someone (CND) should produce a look book of gorgeous before's and afters that could be given to clients ... good idea? They are the only company I can think of who would invest in something like that for their technicians.
That's an absolutely wonderful idea. Not only are most customers likely to be ignorant of the various types of services available, they also probably don't even know what things are called. I guess a good tech knows how to communicate with a client to figure out what she wants, but it would be a lot easier if they both could refer to pictures to aid in that process.

For example, I'm currently wearing a set of stick-on nails from the drugstore.* The box said they were "short." I'd call them "pretty long." It would be great to be able to look at a picture with my tech and say "about like that" when discussing length, shape, etc.

I've seen plenty of pictures around of crazy fantasy nail art that are fun to look at, but tell me nothing about how enhancements can be used to create and maintain a natural-looking short-ish nail.

Thank you all for allowing consumers to read and post to this board. It's been quite an education! And I'm absolutely blown away by your knowledge, passion, professionalism, and care for your clients.

*I won't be keeping the stick-ons on for more than a few days now that I've learned of the hazards of doing so.

Hi everybody. I'm a consumer, and I joined this board specifically to answer this question.

The answer is that the average consumer is likely to be QUITE ignorant about nail services. 3 weeks ago, all I "knew" was that acrylics were ugly, bulky, and fake-looking and that gels looked nice and were better for your nails.

So I got a set of gels. And I was sitting there thinking, "oh, isn't it interesting how that thin liquid and that white powder turns into a clear gel!"

I can hear you laughing all the way over here in New Jersey! :green:

I had figured that a salon in an upscale shopping mall in the downtown area of a major city would be reputable. Apparently not. There were plenty of things that I now know were wrong with the service I received, especially the way the so-called tech absolutely savaged my nail plates wth a coarse electric drill. I wasn't even savvy enough to choose a salon correctly.

Incidentally, I found this board when trying to find out what I needed to do to maintain my not-gels. The tech didn't discuss that with me.

That's an absolutely wonderful idea. Not only are most customers likely to be ignorant of the various types of services available, they also probably don't even know what things are called. I guess a good tech knows how to communicate with a client to figure out what she wants, but it would be a lot easier if they both could refer to pictures to aid in that process.

For example, I'm currently wearing a set of stick-on nails from the drugstore.* The box said they were "short." I'd call them "pretty long." It would be great to be able to look at a picture with my tech and say "about like that" when discussing length, shape, etc.

I've seen plenty of pictures around of crazy fantasy nail art that are fun to look at, but tell me nothing about how enhancements can be used to create and maintain a natural-looking short-ish nail.

Thank you all for allowing consumers to read and post to this board. It's been quite an education! And I'm absolutely blown away by your knowledge, passion, professionalism, and care for your clients.

*I won't be keeping the stick-ons on for more than a few days now that I've learned of the hazards of doing so.

Wow Elizabeth .. you must have been burning the midnight oil reading to have found so much info :hug:

These are some nails I did for CND to show how beautiful and natural 'false' nails can look when done beautifully. Now not every tech may show artistry like this but they all have access to the same products if they want ... so many take the easy way out and just bang out 'cookie cutter' nails that all look identical and all look like a set of dentures!! Ugh ... not my scene. If you ever come to Spain, I'd be happy to do your nails for you Gratis. :hug:

geeg-albums-nail+artisan-picture907-form-sculpted-using-custom-blended-white-free-edge-perfect-pink-body-nails-creative-nail-design-products-used-throughout.jpg

geeg-albums-nail+artisan-picture869-form-sculpted-set-using-retention-cnd-poster-one-minute-manicure.jpg

Aw, thanks geeg! I hear Spain is amazing, so I might just have to visit Spain and take you up on that offer. :)

Those nails are exactly the kind of thing that I want to have. I'm not crazy about the french manicure look on myself, so I'd like to have a natural look enhancement where I can put regular polish over it if I want. I like to mix it up with color, so no Shellac for me!

I just put a thread over in Consumer Queries about taking care of my damaged nails and finding a decent local salon. If you or anyone else would mind offering some advice on that, I would MOST appreciate it. The thread: Caring for Nails Damaged at an NSS

Great thread!

I went to school in 1988 and all I learned was mani, wraps, tip application, acrylic (no fancy P&W) and we were told about gels.

The sad thing is, I went to school in 2008 and that's all I ever learned as well :/ 20 years and no difference, that's really sad.

I remember I asked the instructor to show me P&W, and she said she didn't know how to... it's like HUH??

Latest posts

Back