TPTW Retail and making it work ... or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizzy_dizzy

Reaction score
dose retail work for you ?

How big a part of you're income is retail ?

what % of your clients buy ?

What is you're best retail item ?

What was the worst retail item ?

do you sell only things that link directly to you're work like polish for a tech or do you add to it with bags , jewelry or other things ?

do you advertise your retail items as well as you're services ?

do you do seasonal offers decoration or sets like Xmas sets that you have bought in or made up ?

do you find your retail better or worse than a few years ago ?

dose it work if you are mobile ?

do you have any tricks to selling that you could share with us ?

Great topic.

I'm a mobile nail tech and my best retail item - Solar Oil sells itself. I rave about it to anyone & everyone. Sell it to non-clients just friends. Also retail polishes a fair bit. As for technique I just enthuse about products I love & I think that's infectious for many people.

I personally don't want to sell anything not nail-related as I think it dilutes the image. I find it odd when salons sell handbags & jewellery. It really makes me think they must be struggling (I'm sorry that's the impression I get I don't want to offend), & I'd much rather see a product retail display & get that lovely salon feel rather than shop feel.

Looking forward to others' answers xx

Bump , I was hoping more of you would talk about retail ? or is retail not so much the done thing now days ?

Please can someone tell me what TPTW means? I see it a lot. Wish you would talk in abreviations! Text talk is bad enough.

Please can someone tell me what TPTW means? I see it a lot. Wish you would talk in abreviations! Text talk is bad enough.

Number 15 of the Commandments ....

http://www.salongeek.com/how-do-stuff-site/31101-commandments-geek.html

I am not sure why you wish that I would talk in abbreviation's ?

IMO Abbreviation's are not as bad as text talk , in this case it is space saving ,

In the case of U.V or L&P it is purely time saving as we are all busy professionals or students .

Great topic!

dose retail work for you ?

Yes, but I don't make as many sales as I would like! :(

How big a part of you're income is retail ?

Not much, I would say I average about 1 or 2 products a day - usually SolarOil.

what % of your clients buy ?

I would say most of them buy a SolarOil at least once and re-buy when they run out (which isn't as often as it should be!) :wink2:

What is you're best retail item ? SolarOil

What was the worst retail item ? Base & Topcoat

do you sell only things that link directly to you're work like polish for a tech or do you add to it with bags , jewelry or other things ?

Only related items. At Christmas I do stocking filler type things but still relative, e.g. Bejewelled nail files.

do you advertise your retail items as well as you're services ?

No, I talk to clients about them during a service, particularly if the client has a problem, e.g. cracked heels - would recommend heel balm, etc.

do you do seasonal offers decoration or sets like Xmas sets that you have bought in or made up ?

No, but I have been thinking about doing a goody bag for loyals this year.

do you find your retail better or worse than a few years ago ?

About the same.

dose it work if you are mobile ?

I rent a space so can't comment

do you have any tricks to selling that you could share with us ?

The only thing I can really say here is that from experience clients are greatly influenced but what we do, and what we say. So if you talk to them about a product, and create an element of excitement about it, e.g. A personal experience with the product, they are more likely to want to try it for themselves. The majority of clients trust you and what you recommend for them. They even seem strongly influenced by what colour polish/gel you wear and often want the same! Anyway my sales are not the best, and could certainly do with some improvement so I look forward to hearing other geeks replies! :D

I have also been toying with the idea of buying in a selection of colour polishes to retail (about 30 - to match my gels), as that's one thing I don't do... I seldom get people wanting to buy colour polishes (only the Shellac colours) so not sure if this is a good idea as it will be quite costly.

How big a part of you're income is retail ? approx 30 - 35%

what % of your clients buy ? 50%

What is you're best retail item ? Skincare products

What was the worst retail item ? Base & Top Coat

do you sell only things that link directly to you're work like polish for a tech or do you add to it with bags , jewelry or other things ? Only things that link directly with treatments I carry out.

do you advertise your retail items as well as you're services ? Only on my website and its just a mention that I'm a stockist of the skincare range that I use.

do you do seasonal offers decoration or sets like Xmas sets that you have bought in or made up ? No

do you find your retail better or worse than a few years ago ? Better

dose it work if you are mobile ? I'm not mobile

do you have any tricks to selling that you could share with us ? Be enthusiastic about the products you use, explain why you use them and what benefits the client wIll get by using them. However, do not be pushy, I just place the thought with the client and let them think they've made the decision. Unless its Solar Oil and I tell them its essential that it is used to maintain their Shellac.

Latest posts

Back