TPTW - Writing a training manual

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy-chick

Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of people wishing to get into training lately, and as I am just about completing a training manual which I have sweated over and cried over, wondered how long you think it takes to write a training manual and how much goes into it.

On this particular manual:

I have spent 7 days writing notes (3 of those when I was on holiday), doing research, reading, watching, remembering, comparing notes, to then put pen to paper (I always write my courses by hand to begin with) on this manual and I am hoping by tomorrow it will be ready to send off for accreditation.

To get to this stage I have attended 3 courses on the subject, and reread the manuals, watched a couple of DVDs, watched lots of doss on you tube, sat with a huge pile of text books, run out of printer ink from printing it off and then re-writing it and printing it off, and the hours that I have spent working on clients trying out the techniques and getting feedback from them.

I would say this manual has been about 12 years in the making for me to get to this stage.

I am certainly not saying that ALL training manuals require this amount of work, but, I can't imagine anyone being able to produce a manual in a short space of time.

So, my thought provoking topic of the week is how long does it take to produce a training manual ready for teaching?

Hmm great thread, i think it usually depends on content and the syllabus that you wish to include. It also depends on the amount of time you schedule each component- ie chapter. In teaching you could do it verbally and have the training manual as a glossary or guide that they read in their own time, then pick up on core points that are essential in their knowledge and expand on it.

Although i am a qualified teacher, i had to deal with lesson plans more, as the syllabus was always ongoing. If your doing it in a short space of time you have to look at your time frame, and take factors for each day of learning, ie it could be creative or visual thinking, like diagrams or videos.

On a separate note i remember doing my disseration and it took me at least 10 months to complete. Im currently sorting out a dumbed out ipl vs laser manual & record sheet for skin typing. Im finding it very fascinating and very extensive research. Its taken me 5 months and im not finished yet! Im very inquisitive!

Hi Hippy chick
My course that I am writing at present is for ITEC accrediation, 100 hour course with 25 4 hour classes
I have been writing it since December and spend approx a minimum of 12 hours per week on it, nowhere near finished, am only only lesson 4! of 25!
my course is an ITEC Laser and Intense pulsedlight course, what is your course syllabus?

I think it depends on the content of the course and whether it's to accompany a lesson or is an entire distance learning package. Having done writing myself, I would say estimate the time you think it will take realistically, and then multiply it by four to get a realistic estimate.

Interesting thread, although I have a feeling it could get out of hand.

On a purely commercial note however - if you spend 12 years on a manual/course, how long is it going to take to get a return on your investment?

good question kennedia ! poor hippy chick!

maybe I should have worded it as 12 years experience!
lol!

am still tearing my hair out over this one, back to drawing board for re-writes.

so probably 10 days work in total.

I would think that the manual would vary from educator to educator and subject to subject.

You are obviously very conscientous and passionate about what you teach and therefore that will be reflected in your manual which will be a great future reference bible for the student.

I am sure all your hard work and commitment will be rewarded with the success you deserve.:wink2:

Latest posts

Back