Trade Test cheeky?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penny71

Reaction score
Hey Geeks
an opportunity has come along to rent a room in a long estabilished busy hairdressers for £346 pcm. I've had a look at the room, its small but there is storage space outside so that's not a biggie. Anyway she wants an interview, fair enough (I would as a salon owner to rent a room) and trade test, which is where I've hit a hurdle. She wants lash, brow tint, brow shape, massage and a facial. I didn't say anything at the time as I was in shock and also just wanted to give her a free reign to see how cheeky she could be. Needless to say its put me off.:| What do you think Geeks? cheers Zoe

If it were me I would be asking for a look at the contract and all the 'rules' they want you to follow/abide by as first impressions lead me to think the lines of self employed & employed may be blured.

If I was happy with the contract/rules (& it was a self employed position NOT an employed one being called self employed) I would then tell the landlady that I would be happy to perform the treatment list she has requested and at a cost of £x.xx.

A self employed therapist works for herself and therefore needs to cover costs (including paying the rent :wink2: and products) and I would not expect to be so out of pocket from attending an interview to rent a room.

Hmm. I have had some trade tests when I have been employed like this. Think they just wanted free treatments- difference there was I was using their products etc.

I would certainly only do 10 min facial and massage just so she can sum up what she thinks. Don't think it should be necessary to give her a tint, and anyway she would need a tint test first with your products (she can't expect you to go in beforehand to do that SURELY??) but possibly would do a brow shape as it's quick, although that means heating your own wax? Perhaps do an eyebrow tweeze only?

If I had someone renting space from me, I would want to know that they were good, but at the end of the day, that's what trial periods are for! I've never been expected to do a trade test when it's me paying to rent space.

Personally I would want to make sure you were upto scratch with treatments if I was recommending my hair clients to you for beauty.
But it does seem a lot of treatment to give her if its your products. Mabe do a 20 min massage mini facial and eyebrow wax. An hours treatment and she should feel confident that your good.
But as others say check the contract and what she wants.

Hope all goes well x

I font think asking to trade test you is cheeky, if I were the owner I would want to know my renters wouldn't lower the salons standards. I would be inclined to read the contract, if your happy with it go ahead with the trade test using her product or charging a nominal fee to cover costs. X

Cheers Peeps and Tomme I agree , but never said asking to do a trade test was cheeky, it is wise - but IMO £60 worth of treatments for a trade test is the cheeky part

Oh god yes. Turn up for the test with nothing with you and say "I assumed you wouldn't be paying and so I would be using your product" x

Lol @Tomee yep but she's a hairdresser, imagine that kinda lash and brow tint evil laugh...
anyway thanks peeps have had a good stew on it this morning and what with another thing she tried to jump on: her staff getting "test" spray tans when I mentioned possibly getting into tanning...shriek...I think am gonna leave it...its not a despo in need situation, quite comfy where I am but do fancy a change of scenery/working around people so thought it might be a good opp as her salons only 2mins from me (work from home)...but she's put me off/back up before the get go X

If she wants to see examples of your work then Id take a model with you and do the treatments on your model. She's not going to be able to see your techniques if you are working on her now is she??!!
I always get people to bring their own models. I've only got them to do treatments on me if they haven't been able to get a model or if I'm the only person available at the time.
I had a girl come for a trade test tonight and she couldn't get a model. She was coming after the salon closed so I said she could do it on me as it was only nails and I could see what she was doing but I'd rather watch someone doing the treatments so take a model with you :)

When I started renting they gave me a trial day. They got their family members in (paying) and got their feedback, also gave them a chance to see how I interact with clients. I think that's how it should be no trade test needed if your self employed!x

If it were me I would be asking for a look at the contract and all the 'rules' they want you to follow/abide by as first impressions lead me to think the lines of self employed & employed may be blured.

If I was happy with the contract/rules (& it was a self employed position NOT an employed one being called self employed) I would then tell the landlady that I would be happy to perform the treatment list she has requested and at a cost of £x.xx.

A self employed therapist works for herself and therefore needs to cover costs (including paying the rent :wink2: and products) and I would not expect to be so out of pocket from attending an interview to rent a room.

Great advice Baggy x

And as already mentioned you could take your own model if she doesn't want to pay you for her treatments.

I'm so glad you have asked this question. I have a trade test next week.
I have been asked to complete a gelish set, all owners products - so no problem. I have been asked to take my acrylic in. The owner has advised they will find the client, so I need to make sure I'm paid for that set as its all my stock.
It's for a self employed position, however manager has said I can use all the stock there. But I will be the only nail tech offering acrylic x

I'm so glad you have asked this question. I have a trade test next week.
I have been asked to complete a gelish set, all owners products - so no problem. I have been asked to take my acrylic in. The owner has advised they will find the client, so I need to make sure I'm paid for that set as its all my stock.
It's for a self employed position, however manager has said I can use all the stock there. But I will be the only nail tech offering acrylic x
While your in the above self employed and using the salon products what is the rent/percent set up? Is there a different set up for when you use your own products?

While your in the above self employed and using the salon products what is the rent/percent set up? Is there a different set up for when you use your own products?

It will be 65% to me and 35% to the manager. They have advised they will do all the advertising and buy all the stock. I however have more gelish then they do. I have acrylic products and they do not, i would be the only tech offering this as the manager does not. I have been told i can take my products in if i want to. I will only be there 2 days a week. So i plan on going mobile when i am not, or find another salon for the other 4 days.

The manager does not pay rent either, they pay 65% to the owners of the treatments they do. They will then take 35% of what i make. The prices are a lot more then what i charge as mobile and have worked out that, after their 35% cut i would have made £1.50 more on treatments that what i already charge. xx

I would be thinking twice about the set up you are describing for the following reasons:

Have you considered the fact that you will still be paying 35% when your using your own products - this means that your either discounting your time or cutting your profit to cover your product costs as the product costs are being included in your 35% for other treatments.

Self employed techs MUST set their own prices - they are breaking the rules of self employment here and treating you as employed - HMRC will not like this.

Are you able to work your own days & hours? I am suspecting not as you say you will only be there 2 days a week but you want to work more by either doing mobile or looking for another salon for the other 4 days - this is also breaking self employed rules, you MUST be able to set your own days & times of work to be classed as self employed.

You also say that you would be paying the manager and then she would be paying the landlord/owner. Is she allowed to sub let?

I would be thinking twice about the set up you are describing for the following reasons:

Have you considered the fact that you will still be paying 35% when your using your own products - this means that your either discounting your time or cutting your profit to cover your product costs as the product costs are being included in your 35% for other treatments. **i would be using my product for the trade test only. they did say this would be brought in if happy with me after trade test.**

Self employed techs MUST set their own prices - they are breaking the rules of self employment here and treating you as employed - HMRC will not like this. **I think the reason was i only charge £18 for gelish and they charge £30, but i will let her know as i would be self employed i will charge my prices and not there's.**

Are you able to work your own days & hours? I am suspecting not as you say you will only be there 2 days a week but you want to work more by either doing mobile or looking for another salon for the other 4 days - this is also breaking self employed rules, you MUST be able to set your own days & times of work to be classed as self employed. **i had placed a ad on gumtree saying i was looking for part time work, they emailed me saying they needed someone part time. They have however said they are willing to convert the spray tanning room in to a massage room for me. They have only been open since March so still building up clients and said the days and hours would increase as the clients do. I want to carry on mobile as i do not want to lose my clients who will not travel there.**

You also say that you would be paying the manager and then she would be paying the landlord/owner. Is she allowed to sub let?
**yes as far as i know, as they want it open 6 days a week and at present it is only open 3 days a week**

Thank you so much for your view / advice on this. Its made me see it all in a new light. :D:D xx

Latest posts

Back