Trade test help please! French mani and bikini wax

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanko

Reaction score
Hi All
Ive just completed and passed my ITEC exam and had my first interview yesterday.:) She wants me to come back Monday for a 30 mins trade test to include french mani and dark colour pedi. Plus a leg and bikini wax?:confused: Not sure how'd id even manage to fit all them in but the problem is i haven't had much experience for french mani or pedi nor bikini wax? I appeared confident in my interview i think but I'm not naturally a confident person and I'm so afraid Monday will be a disaster because of my nerves and shaky hands. I've been practicing the french mani on my left hand last night but I'm feeling quite dispondent now. I seem to wipe off the base coat every time i fix the smile line and then the pink streaks because of this. I tried without a base coat which seem to work better but I'm sure they'll want me to apply one on the day otherwise it will look like i forgot. Any hints or tips would be appreciated as i have read previous threads but can't seem to get the hang of it.:oops: The salon uses Morgan Taylor and Chanel polishes which i don't have at home to practice with. :(

I couldn't do a french polish in 30 minutes, well I could but I would look like a dogs dinner :confused:

Seems like unreal expectations to me but maybe some if the beauty geeks can give some advice

Thanks Trinity - yeah she seemed to just list off things she wanted me to do Monday and she even mentioned tinting and shaping!:eek: Maybe she's trying to keep me on my toes so i cover them all over the weekend.... how long should a french mani take with normal polish and how do i avoid messing the base coat up when tidying up the smile line?is there a particular brush i should use - all i have is The Edge 5 flat nail brush to work with at home. Is there a set timeframe for a trade test? :confused: sorry for all the questions its just my first trade test ever as i left my previous job to go in to beauty as a life change as love it so much but feeling the pressure now :oops:

Would she not allow you to use your own brand Untill she provides you with one to get aquatinted with the polishes she uses in salon.
When I hire staff I allow them to use whatever they like for the interview.

I use Calgel French polish set and do not use a base coat with French.
Other colours I always use a base.
Do French first then one coat of pink then topcoat. Save you time if you battle with one coat pink and French and pink again and topcoat.
Try swipe it from side to side not tip facing and down (to free edge )
Hold the client finger and polish with one hand firmly then brush in the other and it helps to glide better.
If you are over thinking it it will go wobbly the best French ever done are quick swipe , don't overload your brush and don't let it be too dry.
Dip brush into the white and wipe excess product on ONE side of the brush (leaving you with product on the other)
I do express mani in 30min which includes French polish and quick
Just a polish in salon I take 15min
Bikini wax using hot wax (pull off) or sugaring 30min app (full bikini - sides tidy up 15min)
Using strip wax 15min but full bikini 30min
Leg wax 20min but depends some clients have Ingrowns which need to be tweeted out so this can take longer.

It is impossible to do all 3 in 30minutes even by my times.
I have been in the industry for many years so my times are HALF that of new therapists. I am sure your new boss will be aware of your nerves and also that over time your speed will increase.

I would rather concentrate on a good job then a rush job. !

Ok i feel better knowing I'm not the only one thinking it was too much to do in that timeframe. Thanks for your help Nailpod:)
I bought CND Vinylux polishes thinking that'd be great to have to practice with at home but they're awful to work with - patchy streaky results. Such a waste of money :(I'm going to rummage and find something else to practice with......

Ok i feel better knowing I'm not the only one thinking it was too much to do in that timeframe. Thanks for your help Nailpod:)
I bought CND Vinylux polishes thinking that'd be great to have to practice with at home but they're awful to work with - patchy streaky results. Such a waste of money :(I'm going to rummage and find something else to practice with......

What colours did you get in Vinylux hun? I recently sat my Master Painter and was having a nightmare practicing a Vinylux french polish at home ( I am 99% shellac) I was using an older Cream Puff and Lavishly Loved & Romantique and they were horrible! really streaky. I bought a brand new bottle of negligee & Beau and had much better results. I LOVE Vinylux, but do find the older they get the harder the sheers are to work with.

I do the white (cream Puff) working from side to side, then tidy up with a spare Acrylic brush dipped in d.solve, then do the pink. Beau worked really well for this. I find it easier as theres no base coat for Vinylux too xx

They're all brand new ones i have :(I bought Cream Puff & Romantique for French and Decadence and Tropix for Colour. Then bought 2 Top coats to use one for French and one for darker colours. The french colours are so streaky and i only just bought them but maybe they were old stock sitting there....maybe ill buy Beau and hope to get better results like you said. i need to apply three layers of the colours to get an even finish before i apply topcoat so I've given up - too time consuming. My Sally Hansen is way quicker and better results.

They're all brand new ones i have :(I bought Cream Puff & Romantique for French and Decadence and Tropix for Colour. Then bought 2 Top coats to use one for French and one for darker colours. The french colours are so streaky and i only just bought them but maybe they were old stock sitting there....maybe ill buy Beau and hope to get better results like you said. i need to apply three layers of the colours to get an even finish before i apply topcoat so I've given up - too time consuming. My Sally Hansen is way quicker and better results.

Make sure you give them a good shake - I mean shake until you think it is all mixed and then shake some more! As Vinylux is base and colour in one it needs a mega shake otherwise it can be streaky. Xx

I found Beau so much better for the french. It had a nice sparkle to it too, not sure if this helped the application look better?

My polishes were a couple of years old and I hated Romantique & lavishly Loved so much I wanted to bin them lol! The other problem I found was if the white hadn't dried properly It was picking up on the pink brush and dragging back over the nail, leaving a streaky effect. xx

Make sure you give them a good shake - I mean shake until you think it is all mixed and then shake some more! As Vinylux is base and colour in one it needs a mega shake otherwise it can be streaky. Xx
Ill try that and hopefully it may improve the results but have a feeling i was sold old stock .....o_O

I found Beau so much better for the french. It had a nice sparkle to it too, not sure if this helped the application look better?

My polishes were a couple of years old and I hated Romantique & lavishly Loved so much I wanted to bin them lol! The other problem I found was if the white hadn't dried properly It was picking up on the pink brush and dragging back over the nail, leaving a streaky effect. xx
yep I've found that too with the white tip streaking as hadn't dried. i tried putting it on very thinly but then it got brittle and dry looking... can't seem to win with this polish! thanks for all your help i think ill purchase a new bottle as one last try like Beau as you suggested.

Good luck with the trade test hun :)
xx

Ill try that and hopefully it may improve the results but have a feeling i was sold old stock .....o_O

The trick with Vinylux sheer pinks (I use and adore Negligee) is to get the colour on in 3 strokes then leave it alone to dry. As it dries is evens out and the streaks go away. Don't put it on too thick either. It's tricky but trust the product. It's the same with the white, first coat will be streaky but ignore it and second coat will even it out perfectly.

The trick with Vinylux sheer pinks (I use and adore Negligee) is to get the colour on in 3 strokes then leave it alone to dry. As it dries is evens out and the streaks go away. Don't put it on too thick either. It's tricky but trust the product. It's the same with the white, first coat will be streaky but ignore it and second coat will even it out perfectly.
Will try this tomorrow thanks for all your help they're some great tips. I'll shake the bottles like crazy and put on in thin three strokes and fingers crossed they'll work. I'll look out for Negligee as a colour option for French too. Cheers :D

If I was to offer you any advise it would be;
Turn up LOOKING PROFESSIONAL :cool:
SMILE, SMILE, SMILE :D
Have a CAN DO attitude
Be CONFIDENT, but not FLASH.....
BE ENTHUSIASTIC - I cannot believe the interviewee's that look positively BORED when talking about their PROFESSION!!o_O
Be sure you want the job...and are prepared to GIVE IT YOUR ALL.:)
Oh, and forgot to say, do a good paint job:p
GOOD LUCK;)

Exciting times [emoji5]️ good luck [emoji5]️ and I agree about no base coat for French paint, that makes life so much easier and I'm totally with red star about being passionate, smiling and confident in yourself. Painting is a skill you can learn, but being passionate about what you have chosen to do is a different story.
Fingers crossed and would love to hear how did it go.

Thanks ladies. :)I hope the nerves stay in check on the day. Otherwise it'll be a bad paint job! Positive thoughts though :p will let you know how it's goes.

ladies can i just ask what brush is best for correcting smile lines on french mani/pedis? I've just signed up to Sweet Squared and making a few online purchases. Thanks!:p

It's funny isn't it, I'm far more impressed with a positive 'can do' attitude than how quickly you can wax legs. To expect you to do anything like that in 30 minutes is mad.

I wish employers would look at what potential employees can bring to the role rather than just a trade test.

As has been suggested, be positive and happy and don't panic.

Let us all know how you get on.
Good luck

Vic x

Latest posts

Back