Train your brain!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrysalis

Reaction score
Hi
Just a thought from a different thread on here, the difference thinking in a business way is significantly different to thinking about things from a non business perspective.

I'm wondering if how we think about our businesses can be the making of our businesses or the ruin of them?

There are lessons to be learnt here I'm sure, and this idea is probably something a business mentor addresses.

What lessons have we learnt in our business that we can pass on to others?

One of mine is setting a correct pricing structure, after just increasing my treatment prices and I'm sure I'll be raising them again later next year as I have been too low!

Great thread!

Believe in what you use/sell, but be aware that you have to appeal to the client, not just your own favourites.

Yes very much like the tv do your house up to sell programmes, depersonalise it to a certain level so you appeal to more buyers, or clients?

I've been to places where the salon is bright barbie pink and for me that is a total put off. Very lovely for a private place but public spaces need to be classy and tasteful.

I could very easily get very personal that a treatment I love everyone should have, but the reality is to have a well rounded service list that appeals to the majority.

Yes! That's just it.
I can get very evangelical about something I really believe in, but it's good business sense to take a very wide view.

Yes like hoarding mentality, however much we like something we have to detach and sell, in high turnover businesses they are thinking how and when to sell as soon as they buy

Hi
Just a thought from a different thread on here, the difference thinking in a business way is significantly different to thinking about things from a non business perspective.

I'm wondering if how we think about our businesses can be the making of our businesses or the ruin of them?

There are lessons to be learnt here I'm sure, and this idea is probably something a business mentor addresses.

What lessons have we learnt in our business that we can pass on to others?

One of mine is setting a correct pricing structure, after just increasing my treatment prices and I'm sure I'll be raising them again later next year as I have been too low!

How did you find raising your prices went? As in, how did your clients resoond to the increase & did you lose any ? I want to do the same but just wondering how it would go down with people!

I've just done from today, it's advertised, new price lists new website etc etc.
I've just done more internet advertising too.

I'm not considering what the clients want on this one, I know I need to increase my prices it's non negotiable and they can go elsewhere if they want.

I was offered a ridiculous NHS rate and was very tempted and thought, no I love aesthetics. So time to increase prices, I've not increased in the past two years and checking competitors prices they haven't got my qualifications they haven't done advanced courses, they dilute thier botox too much etc etc. I'm thinking I will increase every October now then they will expect it, not huge increases.

I do a Xmas card voucher in December to be used in January and a refer a friend voucher as it encourages my clients to recommend new clients so they want cheaper they get me new clients, thier choice.

Any I think are the energy companies worrying about thier price rises no! And that's a whole new level so it's well time I did too. I'm hoping it will send the message that I'm not working for cheap either, training my brain! :)

I have just put my prices up today as well. We put it on the website and were telling people for the last month that there would be a small increase from 1 October. I had one client complain. She said i was wrong to put my prices up and tried to get quite argumentative, saying her husband hadn't had a pay rise in over 4 years. I smiled and said "Mmm I know, but my suppliers have increased their prices, so I haven't got much choice".

What I wanted to say is "I'm not asking your permission!!!"
She cancelled her next appointment and hasn't rebooked.

Every cloud......

I've learnt so much since first opening. Some things through the wonderful thing that is hindsight and a lot through the discussions that are had on here. But I also feel some things should be your approach and common sense. Some examples are

1) Don't be afraid to spend money on retail stock if this is what you want to add to your services in your home salon. You just have to go for it.

2) Don't explain or apologise for your prices.

3) Respect and value yourself or your clients will not.

4) Take your business seriously and others will too.

5) Don't make it personal and get upset when clients misbehave. You are working with the public and it's a business transaction, they are not your friends even though you build up a good working relationship.

6) Make your decisions based on the good of your business rather than personal or emotional feelings.

I'm no business person and am learning as I go along, but it surprises me to read so many threads on here where Geeks are being taken for a ride.

I have just put my prices up today as well. We put it on the website and were telling people for the last month that there would be a small increase from 1 October. I had one client complain. She said i was wrong to put my prices up and tried to get quite argumentative, saying her husband hadn't had a pay rise in over 4 years. I smiled and said "Mmm I know, but my suppliers have increased their prices, so I haven't got much choice".

What I wanted to say is "I'm not asking your permission!!!"
She cancelled her next appointment and hasn't rebooked.

Every cloud......

That's what I'm afraid of. Most of my clients are little old ladies and if I increase my prices I think they'll stop booking.

As for energy companies not worrying about increasing their prices, (as stated by Chrysalis) well that's totally irrelevant. We can't live without our utilities so they can do as they please but my old dears can certainly live without a luxury pedi.

Nicole333. I will make point 5 my mantra and repeat before bed 10 times. I really need to get that through my head!

I've learnt so much since first opening. Some things through the wonderful thing that is hindsight and a lot through the discussions that are had on here. But I also feel some things should be your approach and common sense. Some examples are

1) Don't be afraid to spend money on retail stock if this is what you want to add to your services in your home salon. You just have to go for it.

2) Don't explain or apologise for your prices.

3) Respect and value yourself or your clients will not.

4) Take your business seriously and others will too.

5) Don't make it personal and get upset when clients misbehave. You are working with the public and it's a business transaction, they are not your friends even though you build up a good working relationship.

6) Make your decisions based on the good of your business rather than personal or emotional feelings.

I'm no business person and am learning as I go along, but it surprises me to read so many threads on here where Geeks are being taken for a ride.

Yes that's training your business brain too

That's what I'm afraid of. Most of my clients are little old ladies and if I increase my prices I think they'll stop booking.

As for energy companies not worrying about increasing their prices, (as stated by Chrysalis) well that's totally irrelevant. We can't live without our utilities so they can do as they please but my old dears can certainly live without a luxury pedi.

Nicole333. I will make point 5 my mantra and repeat before bed 10 times. I really need to get that through my head!

If your clients are mainly elderly could you freeze prices on pension day? The oap discount?
My ex is in business a collecting cash one and he knows when pay days are benefit days, pension days and always say catch them on that day you'll get paid rest of the week they've spent it all? Just at thought :)

I had some clients telling me to raise my prices and I'm not cheap by any means! I raised a few of them, kept the rest the same, made my price list more user friendly too.

I have made some good friends from some of my clients but when I'm in work mode they know I am and they pay and treat me accordingly. If they started to be silly I would just tell them that I can't make exceptions and I don't to even my closest friends (although my 2 best friends I always give discounts to lol) but you have to separate it too. x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

• There must be no emotion in business as there are no friends.
  • Read up on the legalities and procedures that are required of you by law - this is one place where you may fail easily and ignorance is not bliss anymore.
  • Learn to take calculated risk.
  • learn to read balance sheets/P&L/cash flow forecasts for your business you can then make informed decisions on what parts of the company you need to work on.
  • Start with slightly higher prices - it is easier to reduce than to increase.
  • Too much stock is dead money - try and buy on sale or return where you can, speak to suppliers, get the best deals. If you don't ask you don't get.
  • Without sales you have no business - never believe that because you are busy this year next year will be the same...continually push your name out to the market.
  • Don't rely on facebook likes - you can pay to have these. It doesn't mean "likes" are customers.
  • Keep an informative and professional website.
  • Training will always put you ahead of your game.
  • Look after your staff, be firm but fair.
  • Make sure all staff have comprehensive contracts.
  • The day the passion goes - give it up.
  • Be prepared to lose what you have put into it. If you can't afford it - don't do it.
Enough said from me! .....HTH...I could list a hundred more!

• There must be no emotion in business as there are no friends.
  • Read up on the legalities and procedures that are required of you by law - this is one place where you may fail easily and ignorance is not bliss anymore.
  • Learn to take calculated risk.
  • learn to read balance sheets/P&L/cash flow forecasts for your business you can then make informed decisions on what parts of the company you need to work on.
  • Start with slightly higher prices - it is easier to reduce than to increase.
  • Too much stock is dead money - try and buy on sale or return where you can, speak to suppliers, get the best deals. If you don't ask you don't get.
  • Without sales you have no business - never believe that because you are busy this year next year will be the same...continually push your name out to the market.
  • Don't rely on facebook likes - you can pay to have these. It doesn't mean "likes" are customers.
  • Keep an informative and professional website.
  • Training will always put you ahead of your game.
  • Look after your staff, be firm but fair.
  • Make sure all staff have comprehensive contracts.
  • The day the passion goes - give it up.
  • Be prepared to lose what you have put into it. If you can't afford it - don't do it.
Enough said from me! .....HTH...I could list a hundred more!

Keep going then please, some good brain training here :)

Latest posts

Back