Training - Diploma/NVQ difference!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terri29

Reaction score
Hi sorry if I'm being a bit dumb!! But what is the difference between a diploma and nvq?? Which is better? And which will help me get a job in a salon if I don't set up on my own?
Thanx.x

Well i'm no expert, but I did ask my tutor recently the same question.

Bascially in lay mans terms:

Diploma is a basic qualification so that you can start practicing & get insurance, fine for mobile therapists etc.

But NVQ's & City & Guild qualifications are a more substantial qualification. They require further assessments after the initial learning, in order to pass them you have to proove your ability is up to standard.

Therefore NVQ'S & City & Guilds etc. are what you would need if you're looking for employment in a salon.

I am a mobile therapist at the moment, so i've got substantial qualifications in the main areas such as manicure, massage & then i'm doing diplomas in further areas such as shellac & hot stone therapy.

Hope it helps anyway!

Thankyou very helpful!x

It depends what kind of work you want to do Terri and for whom.
If you want to work for a company generally speaking an NVQ is the way forward as it is a widely recognised qualification.
A diploma is more generally gained from private colleges and is more suited to those who wish to learn quickly and are self motivated and work for themselves.
It really depends upon who is teaching them as to how good they both are!

Well i'm no expert, but I did ask my tutor recently the same question.

Bascially in lay mans terms:

Diploma is a basic qualification so that you can start practicing & get insurance, fine for mobile therapists etc.

But NVQ's & City & Guild qualifications are a more substantial qualification. They require further assessments after the initial learning, in order to pass them you have to proove your ability is up to standard.

Therefore NVQ'S & City & Guilds etc. are what you would need if you're looking for employment in a salon.

I am a mobile therapist at the moment, so i've got substantial qualifications in the main areas such as manicure, massage & then i'm doing diplomas in further areas such as shellac & hot stone therapy.

Hope it helps anyway!

Actually, this information is not correct ... Sorry OP

An NVQ is a minimum qualification .... It is not mandatory to have it unless you work in certain areas of London .... And certain company training is much more thorough and in depth than any NVQ.

There is company training (such as CND) that if completed will give you in depth training, plus their coveted diploma and an ITEC qualification at the end of it and you will be ready to go to work. Worth looking at. 08452106060

If you do a search here on the site there is much more information than you are receiving here re NVQ and training in general. Spend some time and Use this great sites facility and you will get a bigger picture than you are getting ATM. Good luck

NVQs are nationally recognised qualifications.
The standards are set by industury - HABIA. Both City & Guilds, VTCT and I think BABTAC are the leading
awarding bodies for NVQS.
Salons and beauty companies are familiar with NVQs so you would find employment with a level 2 qual - definately with a level 3 qual.

hth :)

NVQs are nationally recognised qualifications.
The standards are set by industury - HABIA. Both City & Guilds, VTCT and I think BABTAC are the leading
awarding bodies for NVQS.
Salons and beauty companies are familiar with NVQs so you would find employment with a level 2 qual - definately with a level 3 qual.

hth :)

The ITEC is also 'nationally' and internationally recognised ... and I didn't say NVQ wasn't recognised and I did help to write it lol so I know allot about it. I have also done it no less than 3 times as the standards changed just so that I would be familliar with it all .......

But nonetheless the NVQ is not the holy grail of qualifications and is a minimum standard qualification only and does not prepare most to go out into the world and work. It prepares them to practise to work and not always that! All depends on the quality of the training that goes along with it.

Therefore if it is possible do great company training that carries a reputation for being the best AND also get an ITEC qualification along with it at the end. .. SO MUCH THE BETTER. It should be looked into very carefully.

I have to say something here...

I would not take on a nail tech in my salon if they just had an NVQ, why not? Because sadly in my experience they are not ready,I always give them a shot and ask them in for a work trial , you never know, one might surprise me, but its never been the case. .. sorry, but I am just being honest.

tigi

hi tigi
thanks for your comment, can I ask please what qualifications/experience you would be looking for when you hire a nail tech??

I would be looking for a reputable one such as. nubar, cnd, nsi . and I would be more interested in what they could do . I have interviewed lots of therapists and the ones that are privately trained always seem to be more skilled.

I am NOT knocking NVQ, but in my experience , people who have trained with a reputable company do better in a trade test.

My trade test is simple, a few fingers each so they are arent here for hours as its not fair to place hours of pressure:
pink and whites, in gel and acrylic and an
infill and
a rebalance and
file and polish of a few fingers..

if they can do that BINGO!!

tigi
xxx

I can't help thinking what happened when people qualified when these short courses didn't exist and you qualified through an NVQ? NVQs are widely available and these short courses maybe miles away to travel to. A lot of decision went into me deciding to do an NVQ and I'm pleased with it. It's down to the individual too. Just my opinion x

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

I can't help thinking what happened when people qualified when these short courses didn't exist and you qualified through an NVQ? NVQs are widely available and these short courses maybe miles away to travel to. A lot of decision went into me deciding to do an NVQ and I'm pleased with it. It's down to the individual too. Just my opinion x

Short courses have always existed ... NVQ is relatively new in comparison ...

If you have got a good trainer and are happy with your NVQ training then you are fortunate ... it doesn't change the fact that it is still a minimum qualification to hold.

It is all about the quality of the training at the end of the day and usually for NVQ it is not high. You are indeed fortunate if you have a good trainer; they are out there, but sadly not in abundance.

Iv only just started in my NVQ so didn't know much about short courses etc. After the NVQ I hope to do a few short courses as I don't get a lot of practice but its early days so I am determined I just never realised why people knock NVQs. How long do CND courses last as haven't really looked into it. X

Iv only just started in my NVQ so didn't know much about short courses etc. After the NVQ I hope to do a few short courses as I don't get a lot of practice but its early days so I am determined I just never realised why people knock NVQs. How long do CND courses last as haven't really looked into it. X

0845 210 6060 will tell you all about the courses.

The course that I went on actually covered MORE than an NVQ course which is pretty darn ridiculous!

All these councils saying "errm, you need an nvq", why when you learn more in less than a week? Insane british establishment, it really is!

You are right .... The CND complete course goes WAY beyond the NVQ which as I keep saying is only a minimum qualification. All of the CND courses and classes go way beyond in terms of information and skill techniques, in fact in every way.

All these councils saying "errm, you need an nvq", why when you learn more in less than a week? Insane british establishment, it really is!

Are any Councils actually insisting on NVQs? Don't they usually state "NVQ or equivalent"? In which case most reputable manufacturers' qualifications will be deemed adequate.

Are any Councils actually insisting on NVQs? Don't they usually state "NVQ or equivalent"? In which case most reputable manufacturers' qualifications will be deemed adequate.

There are only one or two London boroughs that insist that students are signed up to a course given by a 'training provider' who offers NVQ or equivalent.

Unfortunately by equivalent they do not mean private courses (which are not considered adequate at all) , but ITEC or City & GUILD or BABTAC approved ..... unless the private training has been approved and is offering a course approved by one of the awarding bodies above, it is not considered the equivalent or adequate. In the case of CND the courses have been approved and are actually better. :green:

Gigi

I've emailed and PM regarding extra support on a 1-2-1 basis as not happy with my part time nail tech course, can't track you down. Can you recommend any CND educators who may be willing to assist or shall I contact the office?

Cheers.

Lorraine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a lovely young lady come into my salon the other day, looking for work experience. She had brought with her her level 3 diploma in nail technology,which she had done on a correspondance course - however she had never had any practical experience (hence the request for work exp) Bless her she had never even held a nail file - yet she had a level 3 dip!
Madness!!
And she had paid £500 for this - basically a text book :(

Latest posts

Back