Training to become a hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantingtolearn

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking into becoming a hairdresser. I live in the highlands of Scotland so will be moving to Glasgow. I was looking at fast track courses and have seen rainbow rooms and saks do them. Are they worth the money ? Or am I better going to college? I would prefer the fast track course. As I want to move back home to work. Is there financial help available to people on the fast track course in Scotland? As in Scotland our course fees get paid for college?
What would you recommend would be the best way of getting into the industry?

I also understand that many people on here don't agree with fast track courses, but rainbow rooms train you in 36 weeks but its 5 full days. If I went to college it would take 2 years, but 2 years not including college holidays, and only 3 full day weeks. So is there realy that much difference? Or am I totally missing something?

I can't advise on the money side as I got my training free (was under 19) but I would recommend an apprenticeship, it may take slightly longer but you'll be earning, and getting a much better education, training academies and colleges are okay but
You will always learn better in a real salon, maybe offer to do voluntary work to start with to show salons your serious xxx

Rainbow Rooms and Saks both have decent reputations. Visit them, ask some questions (size of group etc.) then rely on your gut instinct.

An Apprenticeship is only as good as the salon that employs you. :-(

Personally, I would do the fast track. Best of luck.

Hello, I am looking into becoming a hairdresser. I live in the highlands of Scotland so will be moving to Glasgow. I was looking at fast track courses and have seen rainbow rooms and saks do them. Are they worth the money ? Or am I better going to college? I would prefer the fast track course. As I want to move back home to work. Is there financial help available to people on the fast track course in Scotland? As in Scotland our course fees get paid for college?
What would you recommend would be the best way of getting into the industry?

I trained and worked with the rainbow room,
I was an apprentice so didn't do fast track,
I don't know about funding so can't help you there,

Feel free to pm me

Thank-you for any advice :) is anyone also where if who to get a student loan from in Scotland ?

If you could re do your training would you go to college or do a fast track?

Ive just finished my level 2 hair at the end of June. I went to college and completed mine. I was meant to be going back to do level 3 but the price went up 2k so ive decided against it. For the value of the course, the training is pretty poor.

I wouldnt go back to college now. I am doing aston and fincher days etc. I havent done anyones hair as although im "qualified" to do hair I am no way near ready.

I would go for the fast track. Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi
the availability of funding is usually dependant on age. If 19 or under when starting training can usually get an apprenticeship through a salon. We send our apprentices to a private college in Glasgow which we recieve some funding towards their training fees.
I did a fast track course in UConcept Glasgow (Hope Street), and thought it was excellent, small classes, good mix of practical and theory. I didnt receive any funding as I was midtwenties when I retrained in hairdressing. In my opinion it was a great college and a fraction of the price of Rainbow rooms and saks.
Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide to do!

Thanks Minnie mouse, I hadn't heard of them but will defiantly take a look! Can you remember how much you paid?
Will give them an email tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back