Training!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffedBronze

Reaction score
I've booked a days acrylic course through capital and after reading through previous threads am abit concerned about doing a day course! I know that I need to practise practise practise will this be enough to get me started? I must add I completed an acrylics course about 5 years ago so do have most of the knowledge it was more of a refresher!

I had a disaster with Sallys! Amount of money u spend and learn nothing out of it. It was awful. Obviously if you have done this before you know the score, so I think it would be ok! Its £85 plus VAT isnt it? Practice makes perfect as you know, so go for it. I find the products they use isnt the greatest however. As long as you learn how to do it, mess around with other products until u find one u like. You will get a lot of tips on this:D

Oh really? Would capital be the same sort of thing/training as sallys? I done it 5 years ago with someone else but very out of practice now! I'm guessing after training it's all about practising on ppl but I don't really have too many ppl I can practise on

YOu have most of the knowledge from 5 years ago?

My advice is no ... a day is not enough and whatever you learned 5 years ago I doubt you have retained if you haven't been using that knowledge. Most wouldn't and things have moved way on since then as well. Why not just do a proper course if you want to do well, make money, and compete in this business with other good skillful and knowledgeable technicians.

If the short courses were useless why do people do them? And how wld u get insured?

Last edited:
They do these courses because everyone wants to get into nails on the cheap, and people think they can because they have NO IDEA AT ALL how much is involved ... how much skill is needed, how much knowledge to become a nail expert, how good one has to be with dealing with the public, to run a business etc.

As to insurance ... anyone can pay for insurance but there are plenty working uninsured and not declaring their income either because they dont care about good education they just want to do friends and family on the sly. Doing nails is not a hobby .. it is a profession and these types of cheap quick courses are not doing our profession any good at all they just devalue it and make it look cheap and easy when it is not.

Do nails is not a hobby? I don't want it as a hobby I want to eventually make a living from it amongst other things, I can't afford to go to college and do it for months at the moment but want to get some experience in getting things under my belt while I still have my young children at home as I don't want to be someone claiming benefits. When I start up I will be getting insured aswell

Hi i agree with geeg 1 day is just not enough! i have done a 3 day course and paid a lot of money we was supposed to learn all 3 systems gel acrylic and fibre glass! tbh felt like i just gained some knowledge on the theory but nothing much on practical we talked about maintanance however had no idea what they was on about anyway that put me off as i was out of pocket and had no confidence to do treatments.
I have now booked on a 5 day course with cnd as they sound really good and provide great education so my confidence is back and i am looking forward to september when i start .Maybe you could do a 5 day course if you cant go college full time :)

Do nails is not a hobby? I don't want it as a hobby I want to eventually make a living from it amongst other things, I can't afford to go to college and do it for months at the moment but want to get some experience in getting things under my belt while I still have my young children at home as I don't want to be someone claiming benefits. When I start up I will be getting insured aswell

I'm glad you are serious ... my comments were general and not directed to you personally but to all. :hug:

Sorry if I came across abit rude there but I am serious but wanted to get some experience under my belt while I have a little money and time (and to make sure I'm not crap lol) before forking out for a more experienced/expensive course. Do u know how much the 5 day courses are?

Sorry if I came across abit rude there but I am serious but wanted to get some experience under my belt while I have a little money and time (and to make sure I'm not crap lol) before forking out for a more experienced/expensive course. Do u know how much the 5 day courses are?
Calling is cheap!! 08452106060 is the number for Sweet Squared, the CND distributors and when you speak to customer care, they will answer all your questions and send you out literature to look at etc. The course is not cheap but the price does include all the CND products to do hundreds of nails. The education is superb and worth every penny. x

PS I didn't think you were being rude.

I just called them (I'm impatient like that lol) and they couldn't give me course dates at the training centre near me got to call back at the end of the week, (ive also put in a request for a refund from capital) thanks for your advice xx

Hi, I did a 10 week, once a week course in gel nails at college which I did well in. Then went to do a 1 day acrylic conversion. Wasn't able to practise on friends as they were busy with children, and definitely couldn't do the public for acrylic as I was no where near! I'm thinking of doing a CND acrylic 5 day course too at some point. I'll have to give then a call too and find out what the costs are x

Latest posts

Back