Tried removing hair glue with oil based remover bond and now have an accident?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Potter

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Im new to this site and needing some serious advice from other hair stylists and hair dressers. I have hair extenstions glued into my hair and i was removing them with the oil based remover bond which worked brilliantly but now i have extremely gressy hair :( and i cant seem to get some off the glue out even with a fine toothed comb.
Ive tried using : baby soap to remove the oil, blow drying my hair, conditioning it so much, shampooing it 3 times. Using tea tree :S but nothing seems to work. I knew i should have just left them alone but please someone help me....

Oh dear that oil is a nightmare! Only thing I can suggest is if you try some form of Brazillian pre treatment shampoo as it strips the oils out of your hair?? I really don't know but worth a try???

Ohh. P.s I have a wedding to go to on Friday and really don't wanna look an idiot. :|

I wouldn't have a clue where to get that from. I'm so stupid. Why couldn't it just be simple. Usually I pull them put when they are falling out, don't know why I used to oil.

Oh dear - the last remover I got was from Lush Us Uk ltd - don't think it's on their website though so you would have to ring them - removed my full head in 40 mins virtually slid out!!

Clarifying shampoo is what u need hun, thats basically what is used before a brazilian blowdry.it removes product build up and oils from ur hair. Wash and leave on for about 5 mins before rinsing off..u can get it in sallys or I think boots might do one but not 100% sure of that. Depending on how bad ur hair is it might take a few goes, once its all out put a good conditioning treatment on as it really dries ur hair out. .good luck.xx

Sent from my X10i using SalonGeek

Don't know if it will help but I always tell clients who've had oil in their hair from an indian head massage to put the shampoo onto their hair whilst the hair is dry as this emulsifies the oil. They can then wash it off and shampoo again as normal. Hope you get it out!

i really hope i can get it out. Ive now washed my hair for the fourth time and im going to let it dry and then put shampoo on it. I might even have to put the oil based remover on it to get rid off the excess glue thats making it so sticky. But right now, i look like a douche. Maybe next time, ill just pull them out like i used to instead of using the stuff thats supposed to work but clearly doesnt. :S Thanks hun.

Hello Everyone,
Im new to this site and needing some serious advice from other hair stylists and hair dressers. I have hair extenstions glued into my hair and i was removing them with the oil based remover bond which worked brilliantly but now i have extremely gressy hair :( and i cant seem to get some off the glue out even with a fine toothed comb.
Ive tried using : baby soap to remove the oil, blow drying my hair, conditioning it so much, shampooing it 3 times. Using tea tree :S but nothing seems to work. I knew i should have just left them alone but please someone help me....

I would try using washing up liquid for the first wash as the chemicals used in it are designed to break down grease. Use your normal shampoo and conditioner after though. Good luck!x

I would definately recommend adding a purifying shampoo to dry hair and massaging it into the greasy areas ( us washing up liquid if you dare but you may end up with straw instead of hair) rinse and then shampoo, condition if need to. You may have to try this a couple of times before all the glue/oil is out. You need the detergent (shampoo) to break down the oil before adding water which would form a barrier and prevent the oil being removed.:eek: Hope its all sorted before the wedding.

Well, Thanks to everyone whos wrote back. Im gonna leave it until tomorrow night as i have washed it was too many times. Ill try dry shampoo or something like that. My shampoo i have is total ****. Its Label M and other then smelling nice doesnt do much.

:) You've been massive helps. x x x

Its always best to have your extension technician remove these as they will have the correct solution for the type of bond, I never leave a client with any glue behind. And 'pulling out' extensions is not advisable as you will make your scalp sore and risk bald patched. Extensionelle do a good remover in a spray bottle for about 10-15 and you can just spritz this through your roots, leave for a few seconds then try to comb again - should get the last of all the glue out x

I hope you have resolved this now but I have to say...WHAT were you doing removing them yourself? The previous poster is right when she says you mustn't pull them out either. This will damage your hair. Not might but definitely will. What I always explain to my clients is this...the glue sticks not because it is sticky like honey but because of a chemical bond. This means the molecules of the glue grabs hold of the molecules of the hair cells and will not let go unless you use a de-bonder. When you pick or comb or pull out extension glue you are not unlocking the bond you are pulling off hair cells with the glue. So that hair is permanently damaged.
I know you have used a de-bonder but you also had glue left in, you say, and were trying to comb that out. And previously you have pulled them out.
Please don't think this is just a criticism. I want you to understand so that you won't do it again. :)
Your hair extensionist should have explained this to you but as she didn't I felt I should do it.
I am wondering if it was the de-bonder/remover that was left making your hair seem greasy or whether it was glue remains. I usually use acetone which is quick and clean at removing, it dissipates rapidly and then any tiny residue washes out easily.

Hope it got sorted out in time for your wedding anyway.

Linda

Latest posts

Back